Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2008, 10:55   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Am not sure about the 'zooming' part of it, can a reva actually 'zoom' ???
The REVA has got fantastic initial acceleration. All electric motors have awesome initial torque, and the batteries low down give it awesome stability, zero body roll on a slalom.

I've personally put to shame many a petrol car. Its like a go-kart, but once on the open road and clear traffic, I get found out. But in the city, small darts in traffic or traffic signal GPs (short ones) REVA is tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I'm not against the REVA and also dont understand why you quoted my message

But the batteries are very expensive and if you look at running costs including the battery costs and electricity cost for recharge, then maybe..one should think about it again.
My DADs REVA is 7 years old, and it still runs on the original batteries

He still consistently gets 60 odd kilometers per charge

And now, he has the option of going in for better batteries. Its like an engine transplant. Would cost about 60,000, but it evens out in the long run. Not that he needs batteries, but he is saving up for it

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th September 2008 at 02:46. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts.
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:03   #62
Senior - BHPian

I've travelled many times in the back seat, and at 77Kgs and 5'8" i'm not really small. The only worry was being tail-gated by a truck, otherwise it was fine.

The greatest thing about the REVA was that my grandmother had a heart attack. She had to be shifted from a clinic to the ICU. It was so easy for her to get into the REVA and then the car took her for 8 kilometers without a jerk and in complete silence. Ask me, I was sitting in the back-seat praying, and that gave me so much respect for the car. She would not have been more comfortable in an S-Class at that stage

Don't look at the REVA like a 4 lakh rupee car. Look at it the way I do, as a Rs.1,25,000 10,000 kilometers run 4 year old used car replacement for a Honda Activa. It really makes sense.

The body is so safe, its fiberglass, and i've personally seen it brush against an OMNI and seen the OMNI damaged and this one does not have a scratch. It had a head on collision at low speed with a NHC, the NHC bumper came off and this one also got damaged, but got fixed by hand!

A Kinetic crashed into it from behind. The aunty and the kine got rattled, but the REVA has only a small scratch on the bumper to show for the incident.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th September 2008 at 02:48. Reason: Posts merged. Please avoid multiple consecutive posts.
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:25   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
But sir, doesnt your Reva run on a GSXR/CBR motor powered by gasoline rather than a DC motor powered by a battery???

please refer to this link:
REVA Electric Car Company - Makers of the REVA electric car, electric vehicle

That's another Reva and not the one i use daily.
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:32   #64
BHPian

Reva - non polluting?

No Electric car is non polluting in real sense IMO.

All it does is transfer the pollutants from cities where they are used , to rural areas / coal heads where electricity is produced.

Every KW of power used to charge reva is produced by conventional power plants , most of the time. , and brought to cities , with losses in transmission. ( the share of wind/solar power is minuscule in Indias total power production )

It may make cities cleaner , but net net no real reduction in pollutants.
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:34   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I'm not against the REVA and also dont understand why you quoted my message

But the batteries are very expensive and if you look at running costs including the battery costs and electricity cost for recharge, then maybe..one should think about it again.

I quoted your message because
A) the maintainence costs are really low even if you factor in battery replacement after 3.5 to 4 yrs. and not expensive like you stated.
B) the Reva does a speed of 80kmph .

Apart from the above there was no other reason.
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:18   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
the batteries low down give it awesome stability, zero body roll on a slalom.
I agree that the reva is good for city use, but come on, not on a slalom unless you are doing it at 15 kmph. A slalom is to be done at a respectable speed [atleast 60 kmph] for one to gauge the vehicle and its body roll.

And I have driven the reva and it does have body roll and grabby brakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby jayaram View Post
I quoted your message because
A) the maintainence costs are really low even if you factor in battery replacement after 3.5 to 4 yrs. and not expensive like you stated.
B) the Reva does a speed of 80kmph .

Apart from the above there was no other reason.
Sir, if what you say is true, then why does not the reva SELL?
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:09   #67
BHPian

@headers
What i say is true, and i believe the Reva is beginning to sell, i guess it took the company a while to market the concept and most people initially say it goes only 80kms on a charge ( though a lot of people on an average travel less than that on a daily basis). The concept of having this car as a good second car or third car for only your short commute is at present not accesible to all people but i guess it will eventually get there . New technologies are in the pipeline which will significantly improve range.
Old 23rd September 2008, 18:45   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's another Reva and not the one i use daily.
Quote:
But sir, doesnt your Reva run on a GSXR/CBR motor powered by gasoline rather than a DC motor powered by a battery???
A single person buying two revas!!!(ofcourse one is used for some other reasons, but i guess it was used initially as a commuter and later....... , isnt sir???) is a good example that reva can be considered as a second car.

And if you are a businessman or a self employed add the following reason:
Quote:
Old 23rd September 2008, 23:34   #69
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
The standard reva does a top speed of 80kmph . I drive a few other very quick cars but believe me when i say that in todays traffic there are very few cars that can beat a Reva and also we do our bit to save the environment.
I have owned Reva for 6 years now (long term review has been due for long :-)). It never touched 80kmph. It does 60kmph on level road and little higher speed only when there is a slope.
I checked with the service centre a few years back and they mentioned that the top speed is electronically controlled and can be modified and if I remember, they did offer to modify the dpeed governor/emu for higher top speed.

Ps: my car is quite old and within the first 100 cars produced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
My DADs REVA is 7 years old, and it still runs on the original batteries

He still consistently gets 60 odd kilometers per charge

And now, he has the option of going in for better batteries. Its like an engine transplant. Would cost about 60,000, but it evens out in the long run. Not that he needs batteries, but he is saving up for it
@TheARUN - have you received the notice for payment of road tax from the RTO?

Wow. 7 years and no change of batteries. I have changed twice in 6 years. Must be the 'F' mode my wife uses all the time and I pray she does not read this :-)

I disagree with you on the newer bateries. The original batteries are/were the best. The replacement batteries are lower quality looking at what happened to me and the feeling i got from the service centre (since they need to look at keeping the battery costs in check). When I bought the car, I was told 24000 for the battery set and now it's 60000.

I have changed 2 sets in the last 2 year. The previous set lasted 1.5 years and gve up life after 10000KMS.

Friends, you should go for a Reva if:
1) you are not comfortable with regular/geared cars
2) this should be your 2nd car.
3) environment concers are little higher on your priority
4) enough money to swallow the high cost of Reva and not bother with alternatives
5) strong backbone to put up with the bumpy ride
6) you have patience to wait for the mobile service to come and help you out since they are the only one who can help you if something goes wrong.
7) you love to see the smiles on the faces of children everytime they see a Reva

Low maintenance costs and running costs are probably right. Low ownership cost is not true for this car once it comes to changing batteries, you spend what you have saved.
I hear the new cars - Revai are much better all over.

On other note, Reva is the most convenient car once it comes to traffic and parking. THis is the only reason why we haven't sold our car.

This was our dream car when my wife and I were settling down together and God bless ended up owning one.
We were proud owners and still are. However it stopped making financial sense to us. Culprit - battery and the road tax (road tax yet to be paid).

My post is our experience with our car. So please don't take anything personally.

Last edited by RAC : 23rd September 2008 at 23:37.
Old 24th September 2008, 00:45   #70
Senior - BHPian

Well.. the future of Electric cars certainly looks promising in India

Tata's plans to launch Electric Indica "Indica EV" in Norway and two years down the line in India.
domain-b.com : Tata Motors to launch electric 'Indica ev' in Norway

The car is claimed to have a range of about 200 Km per charge and hopefully be conventional 4-5 seater aka., "a proper car"

Also there is news of Tata introducing an electric version of Nano (E-Nano) in future
domain-b.com : Tata plans E-Nano, electric version of Rs1-lakh car
Old 24th September 2008, 06:29   #71
BHPian

Thanks to the REVA owners for pitching in with their experiences. Lots of practical issues being discussed. Keep them coming.

One doubt:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
@TheARUN - have you received the notice for payment of road tax from the RTO?
What is this Road Tax being mentioned?
Old 24th September 2008, 11:04   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@headers
What i say is true, and i believe the Reva is beginning to sell, ....... New technologies are in the pipeline which will significantly improve range.
Sir, let not get generic, the REVA cost of ownership is high. FYI, i appreciate RAC for coming with an honest review though he owns the car, he does not fail to criticize its weak points.

Team-bhp is a forum for us to share all the positive as well as critical aspects of ownership experience sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
I have owned Reva for 6 years now (long term review has been due for long :-)). ....modify the dpeed governor/emu for higher top speed.

I disagree with you on the newer bateries. The original batteries are/were the best. The replacement batteries are lower quality looking at what happened to me and the feeling i got from the service centre (since they need to look at keeping the battery costs in check). When I bought the car, I was told 24000 for the battery set and now it's 60000.

I have changed 2 sets in the last 2 year. The previous set lasted 1.5 years and gve up life after 10000KMS.

Low maintenance costs and running costs are probably right. Low ownership cost is not true for this car once it comes to changing batteries, you spend what you have saved.
I hear the new cars - Revai are much better all over.

Excellent and fair review! It was my dream car too, but couldnt afford the high costs, but still it is there in the family [infact 2 REVAs] and i do get to drive it once in a while..A good city car!

Last edited by headers : 24th September 2008 at 11:20.
Old 24th September 2008, 13:56   #73
BHPian

@RAC
Since your car is one of the older cars it is running the DC motor hence the lower top speed, my car runs the AC motor and will comfortably touch 80kmph.

Lower maintaince costs yes but if you changed two sets of batteries in 2 years then i definetely agree with what you say regarding ownership costs. I changed the first set after 4 years.
@headers
There is nothing generic here. when i say new technologies in the pipeline i mean like lithium ion batteries which are supposed to give 150kms range and is currently under tests by the factory
Old 24th September 2008, 16:19   #74
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
One doubt:

What is this Road Tax being mentioned?
Some of the Reva owners who have owned the car for more that 5 years are receiving notice from the RTO for payment of road tax. It seems that the road tax was "EXEMPTED" for a period of 5 years.

I fail to see how payment can be "EXEMPTED" for a limited period.
I believe that now they inform all the owners upfront about this.

The road tax payment notices vary between 18000 to 30000 depending upon the model.

Quote:
@RAC
Since your car is one of the older cars it is running the DC motor hence the lower top speed, my car runs the AC motor and will comfortably touch 80kmph.

Lower maintaince costs yes but if you changed two sets of batteries in 2 years then i definetely agree with what you say regarding ownership costs. I changed the first set after 4 years.
@headers
There is nothing generic here. when i say new technologies in the pipeline i mean like lithium ion batteries which are supposed to give 150kms range and is currently under tests by the factory
@bobby - I missed reading that you own revai.
My 1st battery set also lasted 4 years. The 2nd set lasted under 1.5 years.

OT - new technologies come at high costs and these batteries are expected to cost more than a lakh. I remember I was told (informal discussions) that today's cost for the set of batteries with same quality which came OEM with cars 4-5 years back will touch around 1 lakh. They have had to do serious vendor searches (even in China) for affordable battery units for Indian customers.

Of course this is all from casual discussions.
Old 25th September 2008, 00:03   #75
Senior - BHPian

The 5 year road tax excemption was a sop offered by the Government to push environment friendly car sales. I'm shocked that they are sending out notices. I thought they had forgotten about the whole issue

Most Viewed