Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2008, 15:23   #16
BHPian

I am quite positive that India is not prepared for an Electric car yet. Reasons are not far to see:
- No guaranteed supply of electricity even in big cities like Mumbai & Delhi
- Electricity is any way not cheap in the Suburbs. You might save on Petrol but will definitely pay more to your electricity supplying companies.
- Lack of trained man power to handle break downs of these cars
- India on the whole lacks a conscience for environmental issues. Who cares if the earth is dying!
- Competition will play complete spoil sport. They will neither do anything on their part, nor allow Tatas to launch this version smoothly.
- Lastly will Indians be ready to pay a higher price than that of a normal Indica?
- Will the Govt support the vehicle in any way (SOPS etc.). A plain and clear - NO.
In a way its also good that the Norwegians will sort out the problems that all (new) Tata vehicles tend to suffer from.
Old 4th September 2008, 15:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

I am highly interested in knowing the basis of the claim that it will be launched in india after two years. If we talk about the roadside support or electricty power how can Tata be certained that it will improve in another two years.
The way things are going on IMO the situation will only deteriorate as far as electricty is concerned.
However tata is getting innovative! Thats a boon!
Old 4th September 2008, 15:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Even I did not understand what it meant by Norway having the infrastructure and India does not have. I hope it is as silly as not having 3-pin sockets! Look at REVA. They have focused only on limited city market only, which I guess is a good way to start.

On a different note, why do you think REVA is not as popular as it should have been? Entry level price is the major point I can think off. This is important since the same can plague the Tata too.
Reva is TAXED heavily and hence the price factor. The government should help price the REVA at 1.5 lakhs and it will sell like hot cake. A nice vehicle for city use!
Old 4th September 2008, 15:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
In Norway they have 3-pin electrical sockets spread around the streets where you can charge the vehicle.

Somebody like Ravi Kant should know what he says I suppose...!
Sorry but Infrastructure doesn't necessarily imply 3-pin sockets. It implies - amongst other things - Availability of Electricity.

7 Hours power cuts in Pune. Daily. And this is 2008. There's a complete and absolute lack of any power infrastructure here.

As an aside - petrol pump owners - who include political heavyweights like Ajit Pawar - would not be too happy with people running their cars on electricity.

CNG has been around for 10-15 years, yet we still see huge CNG queues on the 2-3 CNG pumps they have here. They don't increase CNG pumps and CNG availabilty.
Old 4th September 2008, 16:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Reva is TAXED heavily and hence the price factor. The government should help price the REVA at 1.5 lakhs and it will sell like hot cake. A nice vehicle for city use!
I think Delhi government is supporting Reva with some sops.

Yes, for electric cars to be succesful in India, first we need to have surplus electricity or at least adequate for regular usage.
Old 4th September 2008, 17:11   #21
srh
BHPian

I am not too sure about how it will perform. The Indica is real heavy (by Japanese standards) and the battery bank will only add to it. Increasing the output from the motor will only lead to reduced range. Any manufacturer trying to come out with an electric car has to work like a maniac on keep weight low.
Old 4th September 2008, 17:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
I am not too sure about how it will perform. The Indica is real heavy (by Japanese standards) and the battery bank will only add to it. Increasing the output from the motor will only lead to reduced range. Any manufacturer trying to come out with an electric car has to work like a maniac on keep weight low.
True.

Indica: Power-to-weight 56.22 bhp/ton

Other Cars:
Honda Civic 174.8bhp/ton
Mini Cooper 153.1bhp/ton
Subaru Impreza 181.62bhp/ton.
Subaru WRX STi: 205.41bhp/ton
Old 4th September 2008, 17:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

With even Chennai coming under 1.5 hrs load shedding everyday, we are poor even on electricity.
Old 4th September 2008, 19:32   #24
BHPian

The referal to infrastructure to run electric cars is the major breaks that electric vehicles are cut in those countries, which allows companies to price their products well!

The price of the Reva for example is so high as there are no special laws allowing it to be untaxed. In the UK, the GWiz is untaxed, and owners are rewarded.

India needs to start respecting alternative options, and they also need to equalise price between petrol and diesel, thereby lowering the price of Petrol!
Old 4th September 2008, 19:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
The referal to infrastructure to run electric cars is the major breaks that electric vehicles are cut in those countries, which allows companies to price their products well!

The price of the Reva for example is so high as there are no special laws allowing it to be untaxed. In the UK, the GWiz is untaxed, and owners are rewarded.

India needs to start respecting alternative options, and they also need to equalise price between petrol and diesel, thereby lowering the price of Petrol!
Fully agree with you. Tax sops for manufacturers and rewards for consumers, is the way to go to reduce the carbon footprint.

Cheers

MontyKING
Old 4th September 2008, 19:56   #26
BHPian

1. I guess Tata is just waiting for their "Tata battery" to acquire the Li Ion / Li Mh / Li polymar technologies to manufacture on their own.

2. Probably they may setup a Battery station in every town (or the Tata Indicom dealers will operate it) for changing the battery pack like Gas cylinder.

3. For Solar panels we need to wait the Moser Bayer and other companies to manufacture it in Mass and reduce the price.
Old 7th September 2008, 17:53   #27
BHPian

New Indica Electric Car EV

Guys
Was just surfing TV channels when the Top speed program on Star News showcased the New Tata Indica EV , Good Looking older design Indica LHD , with All the proper markings and shouting EV from all angles
Salient features being
  • 100 KMPH top speed
  • 175-200 Kms range per charge
  • Lithium Polymer battery
  • Designed in Norway facility of TATA
  • Expected Price (As per TV 'expert' 7 lakhs Plus)
Launching in Europe in 2009 and in India by 2010
What say guys , anyone with more on the same.......

Last edited by aah78 : 7th September 2008 at 18:48. Reason: Thread merged with existing.
Old 7th September 2008, 18:08   #28
BHPian

wow! thats great news! i wish it comes to India faster...
Old 7th September 2008, 18:11   #29
BANNED

Thats good news...I think it will be the first practical EV in india.
Old 7th September 2008, 18:16   #30
BANNED

Giant leap for Tata! This indicates that future in terms of alternative technologies is bright in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks