Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

And now an Electric Indica!

There's no stopping for Tata Motors and their love for Indica.

Now they are bringing out the electric Indica!

Link: Tata Motors unveils the electric Ace and Indica

Way to go Tata
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:54   #2
BHPian

Great news! - But sad that it will take at least 2 years in India
Old 3rd September 2008, 23:24   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Great news, undoubtedly, but I dont agree with the reasoning behind this statement:

Quote:
"Norway has the necessary infrastructure in place to run electric cars which India lacks," said Ravi Kant, President, Tata Motors.
Does he really mean that people dont have 3-pin electrical sockets at home to plug into?
Old 3rd September 2008, 23:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Great news, undoubtedly, but I dont agree with the reasoning behind this statement:

Does he really mean that people dont have 3-pin electrical sockets at home to plug into?
Continuous guaranteed power, especially in Maharashtra. News of Tata moving Singur plants to Pune is already making me nervous. Means exponential rise in load shedding. What am I gonna do!

~LT
Old 4th September 2008, 00:03   #5
Team-BHP Support

I believe by infrastructure for electric cars in Norway what Mr Ravi Kant means to say is the roadside support. This may even include something similar to our fuel bunks. Probably you can exchange batteries from such charging points on your way without having to rely on 8 hours charging. In fact if a country has a lot of electric cars on the road they may very well have such facilities as well. Something similar to our LPG cylinder refills. We just pay the cost of the refill and exchange the empty cylinder for a filled one.
Old 4th September 2008, 06:31   #6
BHPian

Even I did not understand what it meant by Norway having the infrastructure and India does not have. I hope it is as silly as not having 3-pin sockets! Look at REVA. They have focused only on limited city market only, which I guess is a good way to start.

On a different note, why do you think REVA is not as popular as it should have been? Entry level price is the major point I can think off. This is important since the same can plague the Tata too.
Old 4th September 2008, 08:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
On a different note, why do you think REVA is not as popular as it should have been? Entry level price is the major point I can think off. This is important since the same can plague the Tata too.
Price is only one of the reasons why REVA is not popular. They should think of providing a better range with each charge.

I think Zappo is right about the type of infrastructure needed for electric cars. This is also the case of LPG / CNG cars, where outside city support is almost nil.

In most of the cases, these cars (electric ones i mean) will be used for office commuting. Why doesn't any manufacturer think of the solar charging option? Just keep the car in sun to get charged. I am sure that will add some more range to the car. My idea, guess i am not saying anything foolish
Old 4th September 2008, 08:51   #8
BHPian

Tata is talking about the lack of roadside support in India for battery operated vehicles.
There clearly is no stopping Tata - JLR,nano,Aircar,Tie-up with Fiat for their engines and now, Electric Indica..The list is growing. Congrats and hope to see them in the list of top carmakers sometime in the future.
Old 4th September 2008, 09:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
In Norway they have 3-pin electrical sockets spread around the streets where you can charge the vehicle.

Somebody like Ravi Kant should know what he says I suppose...!
Old 4th September 2008, 11:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Is the electric version derived from the old Indica or the Vista?
Old 4th September 2008, 11:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
...Why doesn't any manufacturer think of the solar charging option? Just keep the car in sun to get charged. I am sure that will add some more range to the car. My idea, guess i am not saying anything foolish
This might have worked but for the consideration of the cost. Solar cells are mighty expensive and having them on your electric vehicle will shoot up the already high prices they sell for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
Tata is talking about the lack of roadside support in India for battery operated vehicles...
Yup, seems to be, both in terms of trouble shooting and recharging options.

Edit: Did you guys read this (from the same source as given above): "...The electric Indica that sports two battery packs on a full charge, which takes about eight hours, travel between 175 - 200 kms. THe company has indicated it would take another two years to launch the electric Indica locally. Prices of the electric Indica weren't disclosed..."

So the coverage distance is a sure Reva killer (with its 60km range). But 2 years... my God! And prices is anyones guess, unless they come up with a revolutionary idea or the prices of these cells comes down by the time, I am sure these will be on the very high end!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 4th September 2008 at 11:57.
Old 4th September 2008, 12:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
Why doesn't any manufacturer think of the solar charging option? Just keep the car in sun to get charged. I am sure that will add some more range to the car. My idea, guess i am not saying anything foolish
LOL! Just wondering if we have the Indica with a roof top fixture of solar panels, that unfolds and seeks the sun when parked – that would be real fancy like space stations!! – Technology exists, but cost would be the deterrent.
Old 4th September 2008, 14:40   #13
BHPian

Indica Ev based on old indica not on a vista . with green colourb EV stickers in all sides
Old 4th September 2008, 14:58   #14
Max
BHPian

AT present we have 8 hours load shading in kalyan (mumbai central suburbs) and 12-14 hours load shadding in villages near mumbai. I think it will extend to 12 hours in our area and 16 hours in villages if people start using electric cars.

India first need robust electric infrastructure before moving to electric cars, atleast maharashtra needs it.
Old 4th September 2008, 15:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

I will be happy if it comes in 2 years With these oil prices, we NEED to have some alternates.
And also hope that the Nuclear energy is going to help us in more electricity. But thats several decades looong.

Most Viewed