Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 10:22   #1
BHPian

Indica EV showcased at Bologna Motor Show- Quicker than City, Corolla

Tata Indica EV shown at Bologna Motor Show

Not many know that Tata has actually put up a stall at the Bologna Motor Show. Guess what is the crowd puller this time-Not the Nano nor any Indi-concept but the realistic Indica EV.
Its created quite a big stir at Bologna and has got all of them talking. That’s because the new Tata Indica EV is an all-electric plug in vehicle.

With such Electric technology, guess the performance figures of the Tata Indica EV. You might be thinking that this no good piece of battery powered Indica will barely do 60kph and have a weeny range of around 50km and you will all be terribly wrong.
Tata Indica EV does 0-100kph in under 10sec- Quicker than Civic, Corolla

What the new Tata Indica EV is, is a ground breaking revelation. The Tata Indica EV can manage 200km on a full charge and can accelerate like a deer chased by Lions! It can do a standing 100km/hr in under 10 seconds and that is some serious stuff for an electric car.
I mean, it can outrun any car this side of a Civic or a Corolla! It does all this carrying 4 passengers and can be charged in just 8 hours.
Tata Indica EV uses Lithium-ion batteries- High energy storage

All this is because of the use of Lithium-ion batteries. With many firms telling that Lithium ion batteries being too expensive, read this - The Tata Indica EV packs a high tech polymer lithium ion battery that the company claims has superior energy density compared to the current best-in-class electric vehicles. So once again, Tata shows the way.
The maker says it’s still testing the technology, however, ahead of its European launch next summer. Prices still haven’t been decided. Expect it to be slightly higher as the tech is quite expensive. Nonetheless, we really think Tata has a mega-winner in its hands.
Meanwhile, the firm says its Nano city car goes into production in January, but won’t go on sale in Europe, its ultimate market until 2010.

Source: Electric Indica is highlight of Tata stand | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th December 2008 at 10:38. Reason: Font color tags, donot copy paste directly, use note pad to avoid tags
Old 9th December 2008, 11:35   #2
BHPian

This is really amazing. Is this purely battery operated or is it like the hybrid?
& i am confused, in one para you say it's faster than the civic, in the other you say it's faster than all cars this side of civic.
Civic does a 0-100 in 8.6 i believe, but still for a battery operated vehicle, this is quite a breakthrough. cheers.
Old 9th December 2008, 11:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

well this car is not for Mumbai - I hope you know the reason...
Old 9th December 2008, 11:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wow! look at the fit and finish of the EV! Why can't the normal indica be so good?
Old 9th December 2008, 11:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

electric cars have insane torque at low revs, which falls off as speed increases, hence these figures
Old 9th December 2008, 12:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

hold on - why cant they showcase the EV in the Vista body? Any hints, boys?
Old 9th December 2008, 13:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

And there's an Electric Ace in the back ground as well.

Tatas are surely going places with their technologies.
Old 9th December 2008, 13:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

here is the video highlightes of Indica EV at bologna
Video: Bologna Motor Show Highlights - worldcarfans
Old 9th December 2008, 13:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
This is really amazing. Is this purely battery operated or is it like the hybrid?
& i am confused, in one para you say it's faster than the civic, in the other you say it's faster than all cars this side of civic.
Civic does a 0-100 in 8.6 i believe, but still for a battery operated vehicle, this is quite a breakthrough. cheers.
IIRC the Tesla concept car also has much higher acceleration than conventional sports cars.

Tesla Motors

Last edited by chncar : 9th December 2008 at 13:47.
Old 9th December 2008, 13:45   #10
BHPian

EV motors have the torque available from the start. And across all RPM range(I am sure there are better qualified forum members to explain this). So considering the fact, the indica EV should have amazing pick-up. but nevertheless its a cool product.
Old 9th December 2008, 14:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Another first from an indian co and that too tata (0-60 mph) in less than 10 secs. Way to go. BTW, when is it getting released in India?
Old 9th December 2008, 14:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:

I got this from the article linked. I think it means that the car can beat all cars this side of the civic and corolla including them in the 0-100 dash.

Not sure if this is a hybrid, but from what I have seen, it looks to be solely battery operated. Anyone been to the Bologna show?
Old 9th December 2008, 14:39   #13
BHPian

Awesome news.

Vista will be marketed with regular Engines in Europe first, as it is promising market for them. May be after few years Vista too get EV or may be a Hybrid.

By looking at the Video, Apart from EV, Tata have BiFuel models of Indica & Indigo.
While one is Indica GPL and other is Indigo SW Metano (guess Methane).

I guess BiFuel is not Bio-fuel and means Dual fuel support. Any guess for GPL and Metano?
Old 9th December 2008, 14:43   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
And there's an Electric Ace in the back ground as well.

Tatas are surely going places with their technologies.
How did you get to know the Ace displayed is an electric one ?

Rightly said phamilyman - I wonder why Tata didnt launch the EV with Vista.
It could have given them visibility in the western markets.
Maybe, they want to launch the car at Geneva in March.
Old 9th December 2008, 14:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:
The Civic (available in India) does the 0-100 dash in approx. 10.2 secs and not 8.6 so that makes the Tata EV faster than all the cars available here this side of the Civic (except the VRs and maybe the older corolla). No confusion here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks