Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 18:26   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
That's not true Tejas, driven the Reva and did not feel that and this was a steep incline.
Thanks. Can anyone please answer my other queries?
Old 6th March 2009, 22:11   #47
BHPian

1. Can you in detail tell me the maintenance required for the car:
Need to top up distilled water every week otherwise no special maintenance. However, the mechanical parts will need upkeep like any ordinary vehicle
2. Which parts are prone to get faulty and need replacing often?My major problem has been the battery
3. Performance in rain. Leakages? Charging issues? Anyone shorting out anything? Have not faced any problems in the rain. Of course Blore rain is not like Mumbai's
4. Power of headlights. Does it decrease with charge? Does it suck too much of power? No the headlights dont make a difference
5. Ditto for wipers and music system. No again (but you cant put an amp)
6. How safe is the sliding window? Lockable from inside? Safe and lockable
7. Can the front seat be pushed all the way back to accommodate a tall person? My bro-in-law is 6'2" and has no problem
8. What other problems have you faced in the car?Other than some warning lights coming on (battery,service)necessitating a trip to the service centre nothing
9. How good is REVA service?The guys in the Centre at Blore are great.But I cant say the same about the management
10. What do they do during a regular service?I think they do a complete analysis thru a data port other than the regular stuff
11. Where can i get one to test drive in bombay?Dont know, do a Google
12. How soon is one delivered?Ditto as 11
13. Cost of car in mumbai. Sorry no info
14. Warrantee? 12 months
Old 7th March 2009, 10:33   #48
BHPian

20 more days to go - to the end of March, Reva has what looks to be a good scheme in Bangalore. Add a mere 30000 rupee cost to the car and you get a zero-maintenance on electrical parts (yes, including the expensive battery replacement) for 5 years. They call it high-five. But I don't know the catch here. For all you know, it just could be a new model to be released in the next quarter. Only a guess, though.

But I'm booking my Reva within the next 3 weeks. Given guaranteed peace of mind and certainty on what the cost of ownership is going to be, I really don't see any drawback in the car, since it's going to be the second car in the family. It serves its purpose brilliantly well.

On-road price inclusive of the 30k premium for the scheme would be 4.7 lac for the top end version. Not bad at all - for an EMI of 6,700 rs after an upfront payment of 1.3 lac. It's as good as buying another run of the mill small car, with at least a 4000 rs savings every month on running cost, assuming 1000 kms of running.

What say folks?
Old 10th March 2009, 22:30   #49
BHPian

Wow! This has become a very popular thread. I had a great time in Bangalore and visiting the Reva factory was fantastic.
There is a lot of talk about new cars from Reva, but that doesn't mean that they've given up on the existing car - they continue to develop and improve the car and I know they listen to customer feedback and act on it. As a result, the very latest Reva is light-years ahead of my own 2006 car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
When I looked at the pics of your car, I felt that the quality of materials used is definitely better in the UK version, compared to the Indian version (atleast look wise). really Neat interiors
Here, most Reva have dull brown bumpers (not the gleaming ones which your car has).
I have the optional leather interior in my car, but otherwise the car is the same spec as the Indian cars. With regards to colour, Reva's are available in around 2000 colour combinations. I saw some very striking colour schemes on cars whilst I was in Bangalore last week. I was especially taken by the all-white Reva i's that I saw driving around the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki_Rau
THIS IS FOR THE REVA R & D TEAM BHP MEMBER...
You make some very good points in your e-mail. Can I suggest you send this e-mail directly to Reva? I know that customer comments are picked up on and fed directly into Reva's R&D team.
In the meantime, may I be permitted to make some comments here?
1. The new cars are vastly improved on the brakes and handling. The car is much more entertaining to drive - and much safer too. The disk brakes pull the car up to a halt much better than the old drum brakes and are much more confidence inspiring to use.
2. With regards to regenerative brakes - they really do make a difference to range. Again, the newer cars have a much more efficient system and it is now much more difficult to feel the difference between regenerative braking and physical braking. On my car I rarely use the physical brakes anyway - almost all my braking is done with regenerative braking only.
4. The latest Reva has an improved handbrake setup and improvements to the ergonomics of the car.
Old 13th March 2009, 21:25   #50
Senior - BHPian

It's great to have you on the forum Mike! So fascinating to read a review of the Reva from a land far away, and your honest opinions about it. We're all bored of Clarkson blowing it up all the time.
Old 13th March 2009, 21:30   #51
BHPian

Thank you for the feedback Mike, I will mail my list of gripes to REVA.
From a dedicated petrolhead(electhead????) I envy you your getting a chance of seeing an automobile manufacturing plant.
Old 24th March 2009, 19:42   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I have gone through all the threads on the forum about the reva. Someone mentioned that if you stop on an incline, the car will not be able to pick up from there. Is this true?
Tejas,
I own a Reva (My wife uses it). Her office has a basement which is raises to around 2 meters within a span of 10meters. I have not measured, but it is approximate. But the climb is real steep.

On the day I bought the car, we took a test drive to her office, to experiment on how to park etc. While she was coming out of the basement, she stopped in the middle, and she could not get it moving.
But I was able to get it moving. I applied hand brake and while the accelerator is down, released the hand brake.
You cannot press leg brake and accelerator simultaneously. Only one thing works at a time :-(
She has been using the car since then (Mar 2005) and never complained about such issues.
To tell you the answer, well, on very very steep incline, you may find the car not able to make the initial move.
I once faced the same problem with an omni and had to place stones on back of the wheels to make a movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Wow, that real user's point of view is extremely informative. Its unfortunate that the plug-in anywhere and recharge idea is not at all feasible in Bangalore where the Reva is made. I wish a few corporates, at least, took an initiative to promote these.
There is a charging port and special parking space for Reva cars in Forum Mall in Bangalore. The special space is there as soon as you enter the parking lot. It is a delight and feel privileged when the parking assistant directs you to this place.

Also, Philips Software in Bangalore (It's CEO Bob Hoekstra used to flaunt in a Reva) has charging ports in every pillar in its basement parking.

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th March 2009 at 12:57. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 24th March 2009, 20:08   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
When I looked at the pics of your car, I felt that the quality of materials used is definitely better in the UK version, compared to the Indian version (atleast look wise). really Neat interiors
Here, most Reva have dull brown bumpers (not the gleaming ones which your car has).
I have a Reva Classe which has the same leather interiors and metallic like shiny body including the bumper. It is the high end version which costed me Rs. 3.95 lacs on the road in Mar 2005. I paid extra something for replacing the default stereo with an mp3 player.
The difference between this and the base version is a/c, leather interiors, body colored bumper and remote entry.
I dont think there is any difference between what mike posted and what I have. I will take photos and post during weekend, if anyone is interested.
Old 25th March 2009, 08:03   #54
BHPian

One thing that's skipped public notice is the remote controlled AC in the Reva Classe version. That's perhaps the first of its kind - imagine being able to turn on the AC with your remote, just a few minutes before you step in after your car's been baking in the sun for a while.

Fantastic feature, I'd say.
Old 25th March 2009, 10:11   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
One thing that's skipped public notice is the remote controlled AC in the Reva Classe version. That's perhaps the first of its kind - imagine being able to turn on the AC with your remote, just a few minutes before you step in after your car's been baking in the sun for a while.

Fantastic feature, I'd say.
Dont you need to start the ignition for AC to start ?
Old 27th March 2009, 21:53   #56
BHPian

"Dont you need to start the ignition for AC to start ?"
You forget that this is an EV!!!
Old 12th April 2009, 18:45   #57
BHPian

It's an Electric!

No. First of all, there's no such concept as 'ignition' in a Reva.

Also remember that the car consumes zero power as it waits in an eternal traffic jam, or at the traffic lights. There's no 'idling' or anything... just to bring out the contrast with regular IC engine cars.

The AC simply turns on, regardless of whether the key is in its hole or in your hold.
Old 9th June 2009, 08:53   #58
BHPian

The 5th day since taking delivery of a black little Reva, and I'm enjoying every moment of painless commuting amidst Bangalore's inching traffic. With the AC blowing & with the music system singing, it now gives me a range of 70 km per charge - and is expected to go beyond 80 km after 30 charging cycles.

It's an automatic and it's tiny on the outside but it's got ample space even for a 6-footer, which in any case, I'm not. Qualifying to drive the Reva calls for very little - one hand toying with the steering, and one leg alternating between accelerating and braking. I do not fret on narrow roads or tense in dense traffic – it manoeuvres like a toy, and therefore, it is child's play. I do not worry about someone brushing against me since the body is scratch-proof. I do not burn a hole in my pocket because my 12 km commute costs me Rs. 10/- both ways included. I do not pollute and that makes me proud.

The Reva is an island of peace, mental and environmental. Pics will follow shortly if required.

Last edited by skandyhere : 9th June 2009 at 08:56. Reason: Cosmetic
Old 9th June 2009, 12:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Pics will follow shortly if required.
Would one request do?

What about the price?
Old 9th June 2009, 13:05   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 5th day since taking delivery of a black little Reva,
Congratulations on taking delivery of one of the easiest to drive, maneouver, small city car. I had done the TD of the car and was impressed by the AC of the car, cools down good.

Also, please start a new thread of your ownership.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks