Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 00:32   #31
BHPian

Well, I'm in Bangalore at the moment. I've seen a few Reva's on the road. I know what you mean about the air conditioning - definately required over here!

I've been to visit Reva, and been given a tour both of the existing factory and the new factory that is currently being built.

Build quality is getting better and better, and there are improvement programmes in place to make sure that Reva's continue to improve all the time.

Reva aren't just standing still though, they're working really hard on making their car and their brand the best in the world. And if that sounds far-fetched, I promise you it is not.

A new factory is being built at the moment and will be ready at the end of this year. The new facility is going to be the most modern and most advanced electric car production plant in the world.

Reva have a new generation of electric vehicle batteries. These have already been announced in Europe and will be available in the next few months. Range is up to 100-120km, and because the new batteries are significantly lighter, performance is better too.

So Vicky, a quick quiz for you:
  • Which electric car company has over 120 people working in Research and Development of electric cars?
  • Which electric car company sells the most road-going electric passenger cars in the world?
  • Which electric car company is opening a world-beating brand new state of the art production facility at the end of this year?
Old 4th March 2009, 10:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBoxwell View Post
I've been to visit Reva, and been given a tour both of the existing factory and the new factory that is currently being built.

A new factory is being built at the moment and will be ready at the end of this year. The new facility is going to be the most modern and most advanced electric car production plant in the world.
Hi Mike,

Can you post some pics of the factory if its not confidential.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

According to wikipedia, a new Reva model REVA_L-ion in launched in 2009 Jan, with the weight reduced to 565Kg, range increased to 120KM and 90% charging can be done in one hour.

source.
Old 4th March 2009, 22:07   #34
BHPian

The answer to all the questions is.......the REVA.
But what baffles me is that somewhere in this endeavour to build the biggest & best plant etc etc the base quality is the same.
The biggest strength of the REVA is the city driving. Lets hope they improve on that.
But most probably what will happen is the new models will become bigger and more expensive. Thats probably the only way it can compete against the NANO.

PS - the number plate fell of again today. I wish I could meet one of those R & D guys, I would even take of from work to be their guinea pig.Why? Because we Bangaloreans are really proud of our little REVA.
Old 5th March 2009, 01:28   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki_Rau View Post
....PS - the number plate fell of again today. I wish I could meet one of those R & D guys, I would even take of from work to be their guinea pig.Why? Because we Bangaloreans are really proud of our little REVA....
Well there definitely is a "Reva R&D guy" on the forum, so pour your heart out and eventually he will see this review

cya
R
Old 5th March 2009, 03:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

When I looked at the pics of your car, I felt that the quality of materials used is definitely better in the UK version, compared to the Indian version (atleast look wise). really Neat interiors
Here, most Reva have dull brown bumpers (not the gleaming ones which your car has).
Old 5th March 2009, 09:16   #37
BANNED

Reva needs the support of government though sales tax exemption and providing charging facilities to really take off here. The car really needs to be affordable to most people if they want to try it out and right now its is not.
Old 5th March 2009, 09:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Well there definitely is a "Reva R&D guy" on the forum, so pour your heart out and eventually he will see this review

cya
R
he is definitely on board teambhp but he is a little inactive. hope he gets to read this. There is a new Reva coming up (scoop pix in autocar india march 09). This is still a 2 door but slightly longer to accomodate 4 pax. I've even spoken to the R&D guy and have had the privilege to see the pix of the upcoming car.
Old 5th March 2009, 15:50   #39
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki_Rau View Post
Hi there Mike,
That was a fantastic writeup.
We have owned a REVA for 14 months now and apart from a horrendous experience on the battery pack (Had to be replaced and since it was over 12 months, out of warranty.I now pay 5K INR every quarter for a leased pack)

What made you go in for a leased set. REVA would have offered you a discount on the new set of batteries on pro-rata basis.
Can you give more information on the leased set process. How does this work. What options do you have when the mileage drops

the REVA performs beutifully as a city car. - Agree

One more plus, the AC actually is quite good (yup, you actually need one in Bangalore sometimes)and decreases the range only by about 15%.
Build quality sucks though. Just today my wife complained that the front number plate fell off(reminds me of the old bajaj/vespa where the silencer used to fall off) and she had to get out and jam on the errant screw, causing a traffic jam. - I had one of my wheel covers rolling off when I braked :-)

But....like all REVA owners, we have grown to like this cute little contraption. - Agree
My feedback inline and in bold
Old 5th March 2009, 19:51   #40
BHPian

Hi RAC,
My car is around 15 months old and two batteries had been changed in Dec.Jan .
They did offer a discount but the warranty was only for 12 months. My luck and Murphy's law, the pack would probably conk in 13-15 months.
So...... I took a 4 year lease @ 20K per year and REVA covers the pack under warranty during that period.
I think, less hassle,yelling and screaming.

PS - I am posting some gems from the REVA(I am sure you too will have some), hopefully the R & D guy will react
Old 5th March 2009, 20:47   #41
BHPian

THIS IS FOR THE REVA R & D TEAM BHP MEMBER

I shall try very hard to keep the points concise :-

1. City performance is your strength - Improve the brakes. If you check the alloy wheels there is around 25mm clearance all around between the drum and the rim flare for the tyre. Why cant you increase the drum size and depth, I am sure braking will improve with the corresponding brake pad area increase. The disc brakes in the new model I hear are no great shakes either. You guys talk of 80kmph etc etc, do you have any idea how dangerous that is in a REVA at that speed, confronted suddenly by say a cow/buffalo/stationary item etc?
2. I really doubt the efficacy of the "regenerative braking". Do you people have any data??? Remove it & give straightforward brakes (and I hope improve them in the process) and save money and weight(??) on this fancy feature. Lost count of the number of close shaves when someone in front suddenly brakes(my wife has even bumped people).
3. The little half window slide which really serves little purpose is irritating, why cant you eliminate the stupid quarter window in the back and make it one big sliding window. If the pillar cannot be removed, make the glass slide outside it(checked and it is possible).Better still give roll up/down windows(I have seen a modified REVA near Brigade Rd. with this).
4. Give some thoughts to ergonomics, the hand brake should come to hand easily(another feature which will improve city driving), just change the design of the rod and angle. Reaching for the seat belt is a contortionist's delight, give a bracket so that it comes to hand easily.
5. The windshield wiper is a nightmare. Looks like it has been lifted straight from a Premier/Standard Herald with the bracket from a Tempo(the 3 wheeled one). REVA has introduced moulded windshields with shaped edge joints, but the same eyesore of a wiper has been kept. The damn thing cant clean anything more than a drizzle.
6. Front number plate - why cant you flatten the mould at that place and provide a recess where the plate will sit flat, give two metal strips with nuts welded so that the screws have something to bite into.BINGO problem solved.
7. Switches - Man! surely you can do better!!!!
8. Dashboard/Glove Compartment/AC vents - Ditto
9. Why waste 60-70mm in putting the spare tyre in the bonnet. Contour the back and fit a thinner donught wheel and mount it externally like an SUV. Give it a real funky look.
10. What about using LEDS instead of bulbs. Surely you will save power.

NONE, NONE of these are rocket science. Just plain simple value engineering. You dont need a state of the art plant for this. Driving four people will never be your strength. Small and nippy is (ref Mike's post)
Wake up REVA Bangalore, things are about to get really tough what with NANO Hybrids etc..
I love my REVA, I feel good when I look at it (like my old Yezdi) but sometimes you want to tear your hair out because of it.
Cmon MAINI guys, we are with you, just use good old common sense and elbow grease, not DC convertible designs and speed talk.
Old 5th March 2009, 21:01   #42
BHPian

Originally posted by RAC
What options do you have when the mileage drops ?

As I am carefull and re-charge onlyafter 60% or more charge has been used, I must say I have not had charge distance/mileage problems.
Also, do not do top up charges. Though the REVA SEVA people said that this is OK, I somehow feel no battery was designed for such charging.
Check the water level/acid level.
If it still persists, better take it to REVA SEVA, Madhukar & Albert are great guys who will do their best to solve the issue(thats my experience).
Old 6th March 2009, 11:43   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been following this thread very closely and when i had done a test drive of the REVA a couple of years ago, i wasn't very much impressed. The demo car rattled, doors didnt shut properly, quality & finish was horrible. HOWEVER, my dad saw pics of three cars doing a bombay - pune run in the last Overdrive magazine and is now totally smitten by the size. He is pestering me to get one for him.
Now my questions for owners:
1. Can you in detail tell me the maintenance required for the car:
a. Daily maintenance
b. Monthly maintenance
c. Yearly / kilometre wise maintenance
d. Others
2. Which parts are prone to get faulty and need replacing often?
3. Performance in rain. Leakages? Charging issues? Anyone shorting out anything?
4. Power of headlights. Does it decrease with charge? Does it suck too much of power?
5. Ditto for wipers and music system.
6. How safe is the sliding window? Lockable from inside?
7. Can the front seat be pushed all the way back to accommodate a tall person?
8. What other problems have you faced in the car?
9. How good is REVA service?
10. What do they do during a regular service?
11. Where can i get one to test drive in bombay?
12. How soon is one delivered?
13. Cost of car in mumbai
14. Warrantee?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 6th March 2009 at 11:56. Reason: Typos
Old 6th March 2009, 13:04   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

I have gone through all the threads on the forum about the reva. Someone mentioned that if you stop on an incline, the car will not be able to pick up from there. Is this true?
Old 6th March 2009, 17:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I have gone through all the threads on the forum about the reva. Someone mentioned that if you stop on an incline, the car will not be able to pick up from there. Is this true?
That's not true Tejas, driven the Reva and did not feel that and this was a steep incline.

Most Viewed