Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 17:48   #46
BHPian

Mahindra surges forward...nay INDIA surges forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
What about the Ruias, they too were in race for Ssangyong. I believe there are more international players as well.
I think we are going to see a round of intense bidding at the international level, similar to JLR.
It true CARDEEP, here is the full list of the probable bidders:

The Chosun Ilbo (English Edition): Daily News from Korea - Renault Expresses Interest in Buying Ssangyong Motor

2 indian companies in it . The remaining 2 bidders are yet to be known..
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:45   #47
BHPian

Awesome move, I must say .
This is in line with their plans to introduce hybrid Scorpios and other commercial vehicles and will have a first movers advantage in this space.

Also, where Foreign players are struggling to bring lowered price hybrid vehicles to India, M&M will have an edge in that too!
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

Indeed a smart move by Mahindras, this will definitely aid M&M in leveraging technologies to their existing/forthcoming models.
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:26   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Indeed a smart move by Mahindras, this will definitely aid M&M in leveraging technologies to their existing/forthcoming models.
Really, so are your moves changing/changed smartly as well??
Old 2nd June 2010, 23:42   #50
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Great to see so many positive comments.
Any of you guys own a REVA??????
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:02   #51
BHPian

Been driving one for the last two years for the daily office commute of about 41-43 kms (round trip).
Old 4th June 2010, 16:30   #52
BHPian

i would be interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroThoughts View Post

Been driving one for the last two years for the daily office commute of about 41-43 kms (round trip).

Really!!! I am thinking about a fuel efficient car.... Can you please share with us your experiences wit THE car??

adg_andy
Old 5th June 2010, 16:03   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Really!!! I am thinking about a fuel efficient car.... Can you please share with us your experiences wit THE car??

adg_andy
Well, it has to be a second/third car as it can not go beyond 70-80 kms without requiring a charge.
It is fun to drive due to the flat torque of the electric motor and the small size. In Delhi traffic, where ever a Three Wheeler Auto Rickshaw can squeeze in, so can the Reva.
It has an AC, which is effective for one person and a little less effective if two occupants have to share it.
As there is no engine, there is the road sound and the AC Motor sound. The electric motor does make a sound at speeds above 40 kmph, but it is not loud or harsh.
Normal charging time is about 8 hours for a full charge from the lowest recommended 15% to 20% "charge left" position. The electricity used for a full charge is about 8-9 units, it is lower when the charging is done say at 40% "charge left" position. Each charging constitutes a cycle.
Depending on one's driving style, it delivers 50 - 60 km per charge with AC & radio and some usage of headlights. As every thing is running off the same batteries, usage of Headlights, wipers, radio, AC etc all influence the total mileage available.
Sedate and easy driving can give you an additional 5-10 kms. So, maximum possible mileage that I have got is about 70 kms on a single charge. Normally I get about 55 Kms. I drive at moderate speeds, within legal limits, traffic permitting, and drive at about 70 kmph on the DND Flyway.
Maintenance is minimal, battery water needs to be topped up and is very easy to do as it is pre-setup in a manner that you just connect a pipe and let the water flow till it stops. A wheel within the pipe acts as the indicator.
Servicing is just a download of data from the onboard controller to analyse the driving pattern and see the performance parameters of the various components like the charging unit, motor control unit, state of batteries etc.
Let me know if you want to know anything specific.
Old 7th June 2010, 11:09   #54
Senior - BHPian

saw the new REVA with temporary plates on the BETL this morning on my way to office. i was travelling at 80kmph and it was going faster than me!

Mahindra acquires majority ownership of Reva (Electric Cars)-_mg_4984.jpg

Mahindra acquires majority ownership of Reva (Electric Cars)-_mg_4985.jpg

Mahindra acquires majority ownership of Reva (Electric Cars)-_mg_4986.jpg
Old 7th June 2010, 11:19   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
saw the new REVA with temporary plates on the BETL this morning on my way to office. i was travelling at 80kmph and it was going faster than me!
Yes, it is the new model, NXR. This is slated to be launched in Europe soon and in India early next year. Also, it seems that it will be offered in two variants, one performance based, say with a top speed of 130 kmph but a range of say 80 - 100 kms. Another, range based, where the top speed would be limited to 80-90 kmph but the range will be 200 - 300 kms.
The third model NXG is slated for 2012 release.
Old 7th June 2010, 14:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

maybe we can see a real hybrid scorpio in the future thanks to this venture and not some poser micro hybrid.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:31   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
maybe we can see a real hybrid scorpio in the future thanks to this venture and not some poser micro hybrid.
Why Hybrid? At best, it is a stop-gap technology, which Reva anyways doesn't have any expertise in.

We should be talking about full electric Mahindra passenger vehicles (including but not limited to UVs).

P.S. Imagine max torque at 0 rpm (beauty of electric motors) in a 4x4
Old 11th June 2010, 11:40   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Elsewhere around the world, a similar transaction has taken place. Large auto company buys stake in niche electric car maker. Linky - Toyota buys into Tesla
Old 7th September 2011, 17:30   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra acquires majority ownership of Reva (Electric Cars)

Mahindra Reva Electric Vehicle today said it will introduce a new electric vehicle in the next 18 months based on a model from parent group Mahindra & Mahindra's existing portfolio.

"In the next 18 months, we will launch an M&M product with electric vehicle technology in India," Mahindra Reva Electric Vehicle Chief of Technology and Strategy Chetan Maini told reporters on the sidelines of the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers' (SIAM) annual summit here.

The company has already fitted the technology in M&M's vehicles and it is currently being tested, he added.

Maini, however, declined to name the Mahindra vehicle in which the electric technology will be introduced for commercial sale.

M&M had earlier announced plans to roll out its flagship sports utility vehicle, 'Scorpio', with an electric fuel option and gradually introduce it in other models as well.

In 2010, M&M had acquired majority stake in Reva. When asked about Reva's dealership network, Maini said: "We will gradually introduce a Reva electric car in all Mahindra outlets. Our plan is to have 50 outlets by end of this year and go up to 100 showrooms by the end of next year."

The company currently sells the Reva car through 24 Mahindra showrooms and two of Reva's own outlets.

Maini also said the company is evaluating the possibility of overseas distribution of its vehicles through M&M dealerships abroad.

He said the company will introduce its 'NXR' model next year and is also looking to roll-out the 'NXD' model.

The company is currently expanding its production capacity from 3,000 units to 30,000 units with the opening of a second production facility in Bangalore.

Cheers!

Mahindra Reva to launch electric vehicle based on M&M platform - The Economic Times
Old 20th March 2013, 15:40   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra acquires majority ownership of Reva (Electric Cars)

M&M working on electric SUVs

Utilizing Reva's Electric Vehicle technology, M &M is developing its resources to develop the electric powertrain for both Mahindra and SsangYong.

This is reportedly working on electric SUVs both for the Mahindra and SsangYong brands.

Source: Autocar India
Closed Thread

Most Viewed