Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 13:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: In SAP? buy a REVA and get 6K/month allowance

I read the news and conveniently ignored it.At a concept level, its a very good initiative. On a practical level, is Reva any kind of realistic drivable car? It a toy car.
Old 17th March 2011, 14:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Most of the cars coming to SAP Labs (or for that matter, any IT company around here) have just one occupant. Also, there are many people (especially ladies) who are scared to drive, so they employ a driver. And there are many employees who stay close to the office, for who an electric car makes sense. So, if 30 employees start using Reva intsead of a hatchback, It would help in decongesting the narrow roads here (I assume that a Reva is at least half as big as popular hatchbacks).

If other companies too start offering such subsidies, the traffic scene around Whitefield will surely improve, if not the environmental scene.
Old 17th March 2011, 14:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

That's a very good move from SAP and hope that slowly all corporates take a cue from it and slowly implement it at their place too. I know of a CDP(Carbon Disclosure Project) which is run by and international agency which collects all data regarding the carbon footprint of each company every year. And it's very stringent for the MNC's particularly.
But 30 is a small number. Very small, they should open it for all the employees, or is it that the Mahindra wants to test the Reva for it's acceptability and customer satisfaction before going full throttle.
Old 17th March 2011, 14:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

BTW would SAP be able to allocate parking spaces for all those Reva's or are they just acting like the GOI, "sell vehicles dont create parking spaces".
Old 17th March 2011, 15:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant move by SAP Labs! Other IT companies should take a leaf or two from the motive and follow suit.

Hope this does get its due recognition, and makes more people take the "Greener" (Pun intended) option.

OT: Would SAP consultants like me get the same allowance if i move to the greener way .
Old 17th March 2011, 15:14   #21
BHPian

Good move by SAP. Paying just 50K you will be a owner of a Reva Is not its a great idea ?
@50K you will not even get a 10yrs old M800.

Wish all company start this scheme. I think Bosch also support something like this but it a "CYCLE".

Last edited by Sowmya : 17th March 2011 at 15:16.
Old 17th March 2011, 15:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
I saw few Revas parked in their premises yesterday, in fact this is very good initiative from the corporate. I wish all of the corporates come out with this kind of initiative to reduce the carbon footprint and also reduce the pinch on their employees pockets. Good going SAPpy

CHeers,
Rajesh
My office overlooks the SAP campus. For the past of month there were so many reva's being taken for a test drive within the campus. This news explains what is happening. A very good initiative. They also save on real-estate. They can possibly park 2 or 3 revas in the space that a Honda City takes up.
Old 17th March 2011, 15:25   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I think it is a superb move by SAP labs. Especially in Bangalore which is getting intolerably congested day by day.

Yes it would be excellent if other companies followed suit and subsidized their employees purchases of a Reva. Especially if they can wean people off their dangerous little two wheelers it would make a lot of sense.

Imagine a scenario where our government takes a cue from this and subsidizes the Reva for all Auto Drivers who want to trade in their autos and upgrade to Revas. A downside is that in this power starved state, this may cause a super load on the grid, causing everything to blow up!

I just wish that Reva can make their cars a little bigger - even the size of a SMART for TWO would be nice. If they can make their car in the size of a SMART for FOUR, it would be an absolutely superb alternative to the standard city hatch. If they can give it a greater range between charge-ups it would be even better.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th March 2011 at 15:27.
Old 17th March 2011, 15:35   #24
BHPian

This is a very good initiative by SAP Labs. It's high time we go green, the last thing we want is Japan like situations in future. I hope other IT companies would do their bit in reducing the Carbon Footprint. My company Zensar has it own way of discouraging people to travel in four wheelers alone. They charge you X Amount for parking if you commute to office alone in your car, however if you do Car Pooling parking is free. Although people have found out ways to fake the car pool and avoid paying
Old 17th March 2011, 15:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

If the Govt reduces duties on Prius (there was some mention in last budget right?), and they give them same allowance for it) it would be cool.
Old 17th March 2011, 17:27   #26
BHPian

Looking for an opening in SAP. I am ready to trade my Palio for a Reva (and my current job for SAP).

Petrol was 71 bucks today at Shell ..
Old 17th March 2011, 17:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Looking for an opening in SAP. I am ready to trade my Palio for a Reva (and my current job for SAP).

Petrol was 71 bucks today at Shell ..
Before you put down your papers, read through the thread .
This is only available for just 30 employees who are picked through lottery.
Old 17th March 2011, 18:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is only available for just 30 employees who are picked through lottery.
Would 30 employees try to buy a Reva? I know that I am being overtly critical but it is a completely impractical product.

On the other hand, As somebody stated above, If Govt gives subsidy for Prius and it were available for 15 lacs, there would be a lot of buyers for it. Also, Reva was developing some newer products which were to be launched soon. what happened to them? They looked like cars and not toy cars. Electric cars have HUGE potential for sure though.
Old 17th March 2011, 18:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

I only wish the Reva looked better. The present version looks so ugly - I would not take one even if it was offered to me free of cost. I would rather walk/cycle and be even more environment friendly that way. When is their new model getting launched?

However, a great move by SAP Labs.
Old 17th March 2011, 19:28   #30
Team-BHP Support

Although it quite seems like a gimmick, if it helps reducing the carbon footprint, why not? Good move there by SAP Labs, they should extend it to affliates and increase the no. (30) significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I only wish the Reva looked better. The present version looks so ugly - I would not take one even if it was offered to me free of cost.
I remember reading that M&M (on taking over Reva) has been planning a Reva makeover. Hope it materializes soon! I bet there are quite a few people who want to buy a Reva but are put off by it's looks.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th March 2011 at 19:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks