Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2007, 01:28   #121
Senior - BHPian

in my view, if you wanted to take viewer's attention off the background, you shud have used less DOF, or later, used some oher filter rather than motion blur.

motion blur on a stationary cars looks bad. "Risky" to a man (and presenter) of art.
Old 23rd October 2007, 01:39   #122
Senior - BHPian

Well it looks stationary because I said it is from an auto show. Same car might be passing close to the background to create accurate motion blur.
Old 23rd October 2007, 06:52   #123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Well it looks stationary because I said it is from an auto show. Same car might be passing close to the background to create accurate motion blur.
No - actually it looks stationary because the wheels look stationary. Also the edges of the car look a bit blurred so the PS job appears very obvious.
Old 23rd October 2007, 08:23   #124
Team-BHP Support

Stratos, it's really simple. Especially for a profile shot. Take a path drawn (pen tool) copy of the car. Put it in layer one. Blur the background using motion blur. Degree, depends on your choice. There will be blurred car from the background layer which is stretched out. Use Stamp/clone tool to blend those off. Now use circle selection (ctrl m for pc and apple m for mac) to select wheel. One wheel at a time. Save selection to apply for the other wheel. Apply Radial blur in the selection. Do the same for the other wheel.

JAGGU'S SWIFT. SHOT WITH 50mm.

AFTER PHOTOSHOP TREATMENT.
Old 23rd October 2007, 08:59   #125
Team-BHP Support

First look I thought it was a Grand Vitara, the lines are so similar. Then my wife came along and thought the same thing.

Rudra, how to apply motion blur to the reflection on the car, that one still looks stationary.
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:06   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Rudra, how to apply motion blur to the reflection on the car, that one still looks stationary.
Yes, it does look stationary. It was for a quick explanation for Stratos.

There’s no right or wrong process in photoshop. My process may not be suitable for other person. But I’ll try to explain what I do. It works for me.

Reflection on car panels go through ups and down based on curves and shapes. In between gets cut by those doors close/gap lines. Reflection area must be copied with pen tool and not with lasso or magic wand tool.
Pen tool is the best way to get that precise selection.

While drawing with pen tool, ensure you’re taking little more than just the reflection. Click the selection box in pen palette and go to select from top window menu. Use feather of minimum .5. This will give a soft edge to the selection. Degree of feather depends on image size (pixel and physical dimension).

Copy selected area and paste it on a new layer. Go back to path palette and draw all the door shut lines. It has to be done with precision and this is going to give that realistic feel finally.

Now use motion blur on that reflection layer. Much less than what you’re going to apply for the car. Too much blur will also appear translucent and you’ll see that static reflection from bottom layer. So you need to be really careful here.

Go back to path palette again. Select reflection area path only. Hold control and select shut line path/s and go to bottom selection box. Make Selection box will appear. Keep feather at .5… Anti-aliased switched on… Subtract from selection.. Click OK.

You have body reflection with motion now.

Phew, that’s a long one Samurai.
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:45   #127
BHPian

Wow! Amazing explanation Rudraji oh learned one The swift looks unbelievable !!!
Are all auto pics done this way?
In the annual issue of OD there was a section on photography where there was a frontal two thirds picture of a Merc in motion in rain. I hope you'd have seen it. Would it have been done the same way?
Old 23rd October 2007, 11:16   #128
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Rudra, for the detailed explanation. I am going to try it. Actually, the pen tool has become my new best friend. I wanted to take a passport photo of my young one and it was impossible to get him to pose in front of white wall. Finally took it with a very busy background, used pen tool to extract him and pasted on a white background. It looks great now.
Old 23rd October 2007, 11:43   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
Are all auto pics done this way?
Easy way to make it look like a pan shot. Works well with profile (side) shots but not really the answer for a 3/4th angle shot. Shooting from another car is cheap option with lot of trial and error. Best and obviously expensive way is to fit a rig. It'll take time and diagram to explain. I'll do that soon.
Quote:
In the annual issue of OD there was a section on photography where there was a frontal two thirds picture of a Merc in motion in rain. I hope you'd have seen it. Would it have been done the same way?
I've not seen that issue. Let me check.
Old 23rd October 2007, 12:28   #130
BHPian

I guess Crazy Driver used a similar PS workflow to get this effect on the RR phantom. The link for that is ,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...tml#post517087

Check out the last pic. Nicely done.
Old 23rd October 2007, 14:25   #131
BHPian

www.*************/1/big/big_638_11907799763.jpg

why is this URL not working????? Everytime i paste it. overdrive . in is getting asterisked...

anyway folks replace * with o v e r d r i v e.in to see the image

I guess shooting from the 'other' car gets a lot of mention in auto mags. The image i was referring to is the frontal version of the above image with elongated and visible rain drops

Last edited by Venkatesh.C : 23rd October 2007 at 14:40.
Old 24th October 2007, 06:30   #132
Senior - BHPian

Original image.

Cleared most of the reflections on the car.
Corrected image.

Last edited by Stratos : 24th October 2007 at 07:28.
Old 24th October 2007, 10:49   #133
BHPian

@Strators . Cool job dude. Why have the colours changed? Which one is the original(as in what your eyes saw)?
Old 24th October 2007, 10:53   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Strators . Cool job dude. Why have the colours changed? Which one is the original(as in what your eyes saw)?
I have changed no colors. The original picture has too much sunlight due to which the red looks nearly like pink.

Last edited by Stratos : 24th October 2007 at 10:58.
Old 5th November 2007, 12:54   #135
BHPian

SOFT roads in nelliampathy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks