The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc00326.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc00816.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc00840.jpg  

Old 20th January 2013, 16:49   #15273
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Yesterday I got to drive via Idukki and here's the view of water catchment in Cheruthoni. Again no special effects, minor corrections only.
Attachment 1037790
Nice hazy shot jacs. Can you point the location on Google map?
That would really help as I can associate to the location more easily.
Old 20th January 2013, 20:26   #15274
BHPian

Clicked this last week when I was in Abu Dhabi. The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque.

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_5235_6_7_tonemapped_tonemapped-rtt-ps2-wm-lq.jpg
Old 21st January 2013, 10:42   #15275
Senior - BHPian

@Lamboguy: Good one.

Here are a few from a recent Nashik trip. We had been to the Tryambakeshwar temple, ~20kms from Nashik. The temple and the surroundings are so stinkingly dirty and miserably managed that even after going all the way, we returned from the entrance of the temple. WHAT A CHAOS!

The temple has beautiful sculptors and really fine art, but no use, as you don't feel like standing there even for a nano second.

Anyways, I grabbed a few of the temple of Nivruttinath which is a little away from the main temple.

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc06543.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc06545.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc06546.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc06547.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc06548.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc06549.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc06552.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc06555.jpg

But, just before the entrance of this super famous temple, there is another temple of Gajanan Maharaj. This was quite an extraordinarily clean and sparkling place, absolute contrast to the Tryambakeshwar temple. This is a privately owned and maintained place. Sadly, the whole world wanted to squeeze their hearts out at the 'famous' temple rather than this really beautiful serene place. Anyways, to each his won.

Gajanan Maharaj temple, near entrance of Tryambakeshwar temple.

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc06572.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc06578.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc06580.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc06584.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc06593.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc06596.jpg
Old 21st January 2013, 21:59   #15276
Senior - BHPian

Story of a matchstick

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc5948.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_5955_8767_1234_temp.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_5946.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_5943.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_5938.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_5937.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_5925.jpg
Old 22nd January 2013, 01:44   #15277
BHPian

Re: From my new Canon 600D.

Shot with my 600D on Sunday. New to Dslr photography. Please feel free to advise how to improve. Posting unedited pics as Im still coming to terms with the basics. Hopefully with time I shall be able to post process like some of the masters here.

I shot the images in Program Mode with manual focus. Since I was on the drive immediately after the purchase, I couldnt read up much and had to make do with whatever I could figure out in the first 10 minutes of operating all the buttons

The first 4 images were shot with 50mm prime in manual focus mode. Im amazed by the details in the images and also the bokeh that is so easy to create with this lens.
The Official non-auto Image thread-1img_0052.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-1img_0060.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-1img_0063.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-1img_0083.jpg

These 2 photos have been shot with the 18-55mm kit lens that I got with the camera. I realised this was a good lens to photograph architecture, but very bad as a zoom lens. The sharpness in the images at 50-55mm zone is very less and manual focusing also doesnt help much.
The Official non-auto Image thread-1img_0179.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-1img_0225001.jpg

Looking to learn with these two lenses. Although I felt the need for a zoom lens while photographing birds yesterday, Id rather rent those lenses till I manage to atleast learn the basics.

The thing I love about dSLR, which I realised yesterday is, even if you are a P&S person, you'll immediately feel at home with the plethora of settings and controls at your dSLR. Plus, I never imagined myself to be an avid photographer, but surprisingly on a 10hr drive I ran out of space on my 8gb card and almost halfway through with the 16gb card. Luckily, I had invested in those 2 cards at the time of buying. Although, this could be due to the size of the RAW files, but Ive never taken more than 30 to 50 pictures in a day. At the end of the drive, i had 327 photos in both the cards. So, I'm really loving the dSLR experience.

Although the ability to capture in RAW is a good point for dSLRs, this in itself turns into a pain when it comes to converting to JPEG. Im scared to think how my situation will be when I go for a week's trip. It would be a nightmare to process so much files.

Also can someone give advise on a backpack. The camera bag given from the store feels not so well built and not good in terms of ergonomics. Im looking for a bag, that I can carry on a bike and with two lenses and other essential stuff.

Thanks.
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:52   #15278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
The first 4 images were shot with 50mm prime in manual focus mode. Im amazed by the details in the images and also the bokeh that is so easy to create with this lens.
Totally agree, creating a bokeh is very easy with a Prime. But there is one feature in the 600D which helps you create easy bokeh.
In 600D, there is an option called "Feature Guide" in the Menu. Enable this and you would get small snippets of what each function does. I have learnt it that way !!!

Quote:
These 2 photos have been shot with the 18-55mm kit lens that I got with the camera. I realised this was a good lens to photograph architecture, but very bad as a zoom lens. The sharpness in the images at 50-55mm zone is very less and manual focusing also doesnt help much.
Totally agree, 18-55 is a bad zoom lens. If you zoom it to the max, getting the perfect focus is tough as hell. One of my colleagues has suggested to go for 18-200mm lens. But that's a pocket burner for me now, considering the hole that I already have after buying the 600D

Quote:
Although the ability to capture in RAW is a good point for dSLRs, this in itself turns into a pain when it comes to converting to JPEG. Im scared to think how my situation will be when I go for a week's trip. It would be a nightmare to process so much files.
I have tried using RAW mode, but didn't understand how is that different from the normal JPEG mode, apart from the huge file size !!! Any ideas here ?

Quote:
Also can someone give advise on a backpack. The camera bag given from the store feels not so well built and not good in terms of ergonomics. Im looking for a bag, that I can carry on a bike and with two lenses and other essential stuff.
Professional bagpacks (pocket burner)
http://www.flipkart.com/lowepro-pro-...mczcrhmzzqwsvw

Our own desi bagpacks::
http://www.wildcraft.in/Products/Wil...d-1809691.aspx

Check out more in Google. Visit a store nearby and check out the look and feel of the bagpacks, come home and order online. You'll get some nice discounts.
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:01   #15279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please feel free to advise how to improve.
It is easier than you think. Learn photography, understand the trinity of exposure (aperture, speed, ISO).

Quote:
I shot the images in Program Mode with manual focus.
Why manual focus?

Don't worry about RAW until you have understand photography. The art of PP is the next phase.
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:22   #15280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

Totally agree, creating a bokeh is very easy with a Prime. But there is one feature in the 600D which helps you create easy bokeh.
In 600D, there is an option called "Feature Guide" in the Menu. Enable this and you would get small snippets of what each function does. I have learnt it that way !!

I have tried using RAW mode, but didn't understand how is that different from the normal JPEG mode, apart from the huge file size !!! Any ideas here ?
Oh that Feature guide function seems enabled but since i mostly use the camera with the lcd off, im yet to see it.

Imho, RAW captures more details than Jpeg and is helpful in post processing. The more the data captured, the more number of manipulations you can do to the image without losing quality.

Yes lowepro seems attractive. The wildcraft backpak with 2 straps is coming close 5k. Its in the same page of the link youve given. Ive a wildcraft store near my place so will give that a try. Dont know if lowepro can be found in Bangalore.

I did see one lowepro sling bag at the dealer, but it could contain only one lens. I need something that can carry both the lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is easier than you think. Learn photography, understand the trinity of exposure (aperture, speed, ISO).

Why manual focus?

Don't worry about RAW until you have understand photography. The art of PP is the next phase.
Manual focus as I couldnt figure out how Autofocus worked in the camera. I hadnt got time to read the manual as I came home late and left early. So first few shots i had trouble letting the camera choose where I wanted the focus. Then decided to go manual to save time.

When does image stabiliser work? I didnt notice much difference with it on or off, so wondering where it could be put to use.

So you say that I can shoot in JPEG for now? Would save me tons of space. One thing im having trouble with is image clarity after converting RAW to JPEG. In some landscape images such as view atop Nandhi hills, the Raw image looks pretty sharp but the JPEG isnt. What am I doing wrong? Im using Canon DP Professional that came with the camera.

I shot a bird's pic with the 50mm prime in the Nandhi hills nursery and that came out pretty good although the bird was about 6 to 7 metres away from me. And on conversion the sharpness still remains. But 18-55 images of landscape are not turning out that great.

Thanks guys
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:27   #15281
BHPian

@ Parthasarathig: I think you need to try to focus on the subject first. If you are focusing subject( Monolithic Big Bull) towards right of the frame, there should be another subject at left (background seanery etc) else focus at centre. Attached is shots taken by me at same place a month ago.

You'll learn all these yourself by experience and time.
Attached Images

Old 22nd January 2013, 14:41   #15282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So you say that I can shoot in JPEG for now? Would save me tons of space. One thing im having trouble with is image clarity after converting RAW to JPEG. In some landscape images such as view atop Nandhi hills, the Raw image looks pretty sharp but the JPEG isnt. What am I doing wrong? Im using Canon DP Professional that came with the camera.
Yes, stick to jpeg until your understand photography and composition. Until you learn composition, even a pro level dSLR can't help you.

Since this page is full of temple shots, you can see some more of mine here.
Old 22nd January 2013, 19:26   #15283
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Sunbird @ Okhla bird sanctuary.

The Official non-auto Image thread-purplerumped-sunbird-1.jpg
Old 22nd January 2013, 21:50   #15284
Senior - BHPian

I like the cross process effect for this pic, taken from a hotel room in indiana.

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc03873_3.jpg
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:15   #15285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Sunbird @ Okhla bird sanctuary.

Attachment 1041381
Great close up and like the composition.

Keep clicking.

Most Viewed