Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2013, 13:15   #15286
BHPian

Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yes, stick to jpeg until your understand photography and composition. Until you learn composition, even a pro level dSLR can't help you.
Thanks for the tip. Switched back to JPEG.

Im reading all about composition now. Im having trouble remembering the Aperture, ISO and Shutter speed combinations. Any simple guide for that??

The temple pictures are great. Are these taken with the EVIL camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
@ Parthasarathig: I think you need to try to focus on the subject first. If you are focusing subject( Monolithic Big Bull) towards right of the frame, there should be another subject at left (background seanery etc) else focus at centre. Attached is shots taken by me at same place a month ago.

You'll learn all these yourself by experience and time.
HighOctane, I took a similar shot of the bull like you have, and its the same one I posted, albeit cropped as the people were crowding around the statue at that time with no sign of leaving. Im still keeping Autofocus off, as the camera takes a bit of time to focus on the part that I want, whereas with manual I can easily get to the focus point earlier.
Thanks for the tip.

In these subsequent 3 pictures, what could I have done to make it better? Is my framing correct? Where can I improve? Especially in the temple picture, I feel the photo looks cramped due to the pillars surrounding the main subject. How can I improve on that?

The Official non-auto Image thread-1img_0281.jpg

Also in the sunflower field picture, I wanted the main subject to be the sunflowers. So do I need to zoom into the flower as I have done with the 2nd picture, cause I wanted to depict the background too. How can I do that along with making the sunflower the subject?

The Official non-auto Image thread-1img_0328.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-1img_0322.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Sunbird @ Okhla bird sanctuary.
Very beautiful

A contribution from my side. A dog that kept playing around my legs, but was at its calmest whenever the camera came out of the bag. And back to its games when the camera was put away.
The Official non-auto Image thread-1img_0242.jpg

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 23rd January 2013 at 13:40.
Old 23rd January 2013, 19:48   #15287
Senior - BHPian

Been to the Lalbagh Flower Show, B'lore.

Time: 07:00 AM
Entry: Free
Parking: Free
Camera Fee: Free

The public entry starts at 09:00 AM. Parking is at Shantinagar Bus Stand.
I entered as part of the joggers, walkers group, and managed to click some pics without the crowd pushing.

The Glasshouse was closed and I could shoot the Eiffel Tower only from a distance. Below are few sample pics and the Picasa link for the remaining pics.

Picasa Link: http://picasaweb.google.com/10272744...eat=directlink

Sample Pics:

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_1223.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_1157.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_1170.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_1198.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_1213.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_1221.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_1222.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_1242.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_1257.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_1263.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_1228.jpg
Old 23rd January 2013, 20:11   #15288
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guyonblackybx & Parthasarathig.

Another one. Sunlight was just opposite the cat. Cropped a bit.

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_8574.jpg

Last edited by v&v : 23rd January 2013 at 20:13.
Old 23rd January 2013, 20:54   #15289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

Time: 07:00 AM
Entry: Free
Parking: Free
Camera Fee: Free

The public entry starts at 09:00 AM. Parking is at Shantinagar Bus Stand.
I entered as part of the joggers, walkers group, and managed to click some pics without the crowd pushing.
Some amazing shots there. Love how well the colors have come out. Man you have some skills. Why dont my pictures look as lively

Id love to have the one with the bee on the flower as my wallpaper. Amazing. What mode were you shooting in btw? I should try flowers with the 18-55 then, seems much more well focused.
Old 23rd January 2013, 21:56   #15290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Some amazing shots there. Love how well the colors have come out. Man you have some skills. Why dont my pictures look as lively

Id love to have the one with the bee on the flower as my wallpaper. Amazing. What mode were you shooting in btw? I should try flowers with the 18-55 then, seems much more well focused.
Thanks Partha,
I am absolutely a Novice. Thanks for the inspiring words of encouragement.
Luckily some shots come out well. And by some magical force, that bee came and sat on the flower just when I clicked the shutter button.
The bee on the stem of a flower was quietly captured without disturbing the bee.

All were shot using 18-55 Lens. I don't have any other lens.
For Flowers, I used the Close Ups (Macro) mode > Ambience = Vivid; Effect = Strong; Background Blur = Extreme Left; Flash = Auto
Others, I used Creative Auto and Landscape Mode > Ambience = Vivid; Effect = Strong; Lighting/Scene Type = Cloudy or Shade
Old 23rd January 2013, 22:11   #15291
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Partha,
I am absolutely a Novice. Thanks for the inspiring words of encouragement.
Luckily some shots come out well. And by some magical force, that bee came and sat on the flower just when I clicked the shutter button.
The bee on the stem of a flower was quietly captured without disturbing the bee.

All were shot using 18-55 Lens. I don't have any other lens.
For Flowers, I used the Close Ups (Macro) mode > Ambience = Vivid; Effect = Strong; Background Blur = Extreme Left; Flash = Auto
Others, I used Creative Auto and Landscape Mode > Ambience = Vivid; Effect = Strong; Lighting/Scene Type = Cloudy or Shade
You say you are a novice, but look at your pics man. The flowers look beautiful.
Thanks for the settings. I need to enable that feature mode. Cant make head or tail of the various settings.

Keep up the good work
Old 23rd January 2013, 22:37   #15292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the settings. I need to enable that feature mode.
Do you have the same camera as him? If not, you won't be able to enable the same settings.

Quote:
Cant make head or tail of the various settings.
Neither can I. But if you learn photography, you don't have to.

Here is an advice I gave 6 years back on the same thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post378088

Read the document I have specified in that post.
Old 23rd January 2013, 23:46   #15293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have the same camera as him? If not, you won't be able to enable the same settings.
YES, Partha n me have the same cam - Canon 600D. That "Feature guide" setting is too good. Those small snippets on the LCD gives a quick idea of what the outcome of the pic will be.

Quote:
Here is an advice I gave 6 years back on the same thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post378088 Read the document I have specified in that post.
I'll too download n read it tommorrow. Thanks Samurai !!
Old 24th January 2013, 00:19   #15294
BHPian

Quote:

Neither can I. But if you learn photography, you don't have to.

Here is an advice I gave 6 years back on the same thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post378088

Yes we both have the same camera and so does Akshay

Yes im more comfortable with the manual mode and being able to set all the individual settings on my own, rather than waiting for the camera to do it. Autofocus isnt that great in low light conditions except with the flash. Plus auto mode works good, but im happy with the program mode.

Thanks for the document Samurai. Still dont understand how you manage to remember these links over the years. Got it downloaded and now sitting and learning with the camera. hope to get the aperture, iso and shutter speed trinity down tonight.

Thanks a lot
Old 24th January 2013, 00:34   #15295
BHPian

Quote:

Ah, brings back memories. Can't believe I have been following this thread since then. It's been almost 6 years now . At multiple occasions, I have credited team-bhp as one of the few places where I have learnt a lot of stuff related to photography, it still holds good. And I came across my first photo that I had posted here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post409575

The funny part is, I still remember all the photos and the conditions they were taken in or why I took them back then and what I felt. I guess that's why I photograph. It may not be the end result but these experiences that matter. I remember that I saw this scene when I was getting ready in the mirror but didn't know that my camera phone (Treo 650?) lacked the DR. I just snapped and processed it to give a grungy look. Hey, that was "ma" style back then. I can't help but laugh at my funny language too which was a lame attempt of trying to sound "cool" . And even then Samurai was there giving me a good critique, even though it was a bad photograph. Thank you for doing that and guiding me throughout. Nostalgia is slowly settling in.

Anyway, here's one photograph that is probably my favorite photo of 2012. I know the background sucks, but I like the light. More than that I like the expression on my kiddo nephew's face. What do you guys think? And, this is SOOC JPEG:

The Official non-auto Image thread-8363783292_19900bce37_c.jpg

To everyone who is just starting their journey of making memories through photographs, always remember that light makes all the difference in your photographs. Get the right light and be there at the right time to see how your photos start taking a different life altogether.

EDIT:
Quote:
The second one I couldn't see any artistic merit, two dead bugs next to a deodorant can, may be Rudra can breath some life into it. But both pics are exposed quite well.
Lol, I failed to see the humor back then. Rudra, can you please bring those poor bugs back to life? :P

Second EDIT:
Slightly better version of the above photo:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8372/8...900bce37_c.jpg

Last edited by HellwratH : 24th January 2013 at 00:49.
Old 24th January 2013, 10:54   #15296
Senior - BHPian

Sushi anyone?

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_5828-large.jpg
Old 24th January 2013, 12:30   #15297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Anyway, here's one photograph that is probably my favorite photo of 2012. I know the background sucks, but I like the light. More than that I like the expression on my kiddo nephew's face. What do you guys think?
Excellent one, It looks like a studio shot. Have you used any soft light for the face ?

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 24th January 2013 at 14:51. Reason: quoted text edited.
Old 24th January 2013, 13:26   #15298
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the document Samurai. Still dont understand how you manage to remember these links over the years.
I usually remember keywords, and then search those keywords in the thread.

Quote:
Ah, brings back memories. Can't believe I have been following this thread since then. It's been almost 6 years now . At multiple occasions, I have credited team-bhp as one of the few places where I have learnt a lot of stuff related to photography, it still holds good.
I too noticed it yesterday when I went to those 2007 posts. I was a bit stunned to notice you too were a novice once on this thread, I had forgotten. I too have to credit TBHP members for drastically improving my photography. Mine happened off the forum, at first by S Pathak who pushed me to understand exposure. He insisted I understand and use only spot metering until I can spot meter a view with my eyes. He was a film user and was yet to make the switch to digital.

Check Pathak's gear: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1251692

Also, knowing every setting of a camera is not as important as knowing photography: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post865130

Only after practicing serious photography for a year, I could start understanding Rudra's tips, not before that.

Quote:
Anyway, here's one photograph that is probably my favorite photo of 2012. I know the background sucks, but I like the light. More than that I like the expression on my kiddo nephew's face. What do you guys think?
45mm?
Old 24th January 2013, 15:55   #15299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nice pics but the colours are a bit too vivid IMO. Have you set it so intentionally in the camera's JPG settings?

Quote:
Ah, brings back memories. Can't believe I have been following this thread since then. It's been almost 6 years now . At multiple occasions, I have credited team-bhp as one of the few places where I have learnt a lot of stuff related to photography, it still holds good.
Time flies. It is now over 4 years since I joined TBHP in Oct 2008. And yes I fully agree with you. I have learned more here than on most other internet fora including some like Nikonians where I am a contributing (subscription) member. The quality of posts and Moderation at TBHP is simply excellent. On the other hand DPReview disappoints me the most. A majority of the posts in the Nikon sub forums are very childish and there's hardly any action by their Mods.

Quote:
I like! The child being really cute also helps.

Quote:
To everyone who is just starting their journey of making memories through photographs, always remember that light makes all the difference in your photographs. Get the right light and be there at the right time to see how your photos start taking a different life altogether.
Very good advice HW. Lighting and composition are the 2 bedrocks of photography.
Old 24th January 2013, 16:20   #15300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Nice pics but the colours are a bit too vivid IMO. Have you set it so intentionally in the camera's JPG settings?
I had set it to: Ambience = Vivid; Effect = Strong;
It was early morning and there was more light (foggyness) passing through each picture. So had set it to the Vivid setting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks