Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2008, 22:27   #4141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
My Olympus E-500, 14-54mm & 40-150mm has completely become my backup camera. But my wife wants me to sell it. Right now I have kept it in office for emergency photo opportunities.
Samurai, do not sell it out. Always better to have a Backup Camera. And trust me, ppl want it for free (Very low offer) when you try to sell it out . I had that experience. So i am planning to Donate my entire Olympus Gear and Sigma 50-500 to some budding photographers when i graduate to Canon 500 f/4. Seriously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post
@sreerajunnithan - thanks man !
I am very much into shooting birds - so it wont be a waste for sure. When did you buy it ?
My budget is limited at 40 - 45k so I might need to wait for some time to let the prices drop OR get it from abroad via someone.
Hello hkanitkar,

I bought it around 2 years back. I think listed price was around $999. I bought it from India coz i had tough time finding Olympus mount (Four Thirds) from gray (Without Bill) market. If you go for gray, i think it will be between 48-52. All depends on the mount you use. If its Canon or Nikon, it will be easy to get from Gray Market. Or you can think about 170-500 which is cheaper and performs same like 50-500.

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th October 2008 at 17:08. Reason: Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts. Thanks.
Old 24th October 2008, 23:44   #4142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
So i am planning to Donate my entire Olympus Gear and Sigma 50-500 to some budding photographers when i graduate to Canon 500 f/4. Seriously...
Seriously?
Is there a queue?

Old 25th October 2008, 01:16   #4143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samurai, do not sell it out. Always better to have a Backup Camera. And trust me, ppl want it for free (Very low offer) when you try to sell it out .
Yeah, hard to get even half price of its real worth. That is why I am reluctant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Seriously?
Is there a queue?
You probably want just the 50-500mm. That is too much lens for me since I am not into birding.
Old 25th October 2008, 12:24   #4144
BHPian

Quote:
You probably want just the 50-500mm. That is too much lens for me since I am not into birding.
On second thoughts, the sigma's max aperture is not very encouraging. But the 1000mm reach..that's encouraging.

Old 25th October 2008, 14:09   #4145
BHPian

I must admit, I got smitten by birding just because of some of the pics posted in this thread! And I am loving it!

The Official non-auto Image thread-www.jpg

Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 25th October 2008 at 14:10.
Old 25th October 2008, 17:37   #4146
BHPian

@torqueguru - lovely pics ! I loved the eagle and owl pic more than anything else. The lighting in the pic of seagull is interesting - makes it look bloody amazing !

@sreerajunnithan - i am looking for a nikon mount. I am currently using D80, and plan to upgrade soon to something better in nikon only.

Another one from my side :

Hide and Seek
The Official non-auto Image thread-liz-2.jpg
Old 25th October 2008, 22:50   #4147
BHPian

torqueguru, that was awesome shots. Keep it going, I'm super impressed with this thread. This is to all of you.
Click away.
Old 25th October 2008, 23:16   #4148
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
So i am planning to Donate my entire Olympus Gear and Sigma 50-500 to some budding photographers when i graduate to Canon 500 f/4. Seriously...
You don't need to look any further. I shall satisfy myself with just the Sigma 50-500 .
Old 26th October 2008, 03:26   #4149
BHPian

Riding through Bandipur national park.

The Official non-auto Image thread-long-road.jpg
Old 26th October 2008, 15:06   #4150
Senior - BHPian

From the backyard. I used the Adobe RGB colorspace instead of the sRGB while converting from RAW to Jpeg. It can contain more color information.
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-kaithaweb.jpg  

Old 26th October 2008, 18:18   #4151
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
From the backyard. I used the Adobe RGB colorspace instead of the sRGB while converting from RAW to Jpeg. It can contain more color information.
That matters only if you into printing it professionally. If you are just watching on computer monitor, it makes no difference.
Old 26th October 2008, 19:17   #4152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That matters only if you into printing it professionally. If you are just watching on computer monitor, it makes no difference.
Oh it does. Depends also on the viewing software also I guess. The following figure shows how the same image (saved using Adobe RGB colorspace) appeared on Internet Explorer 7 and windows Photo Gallery. To exactly show you what I saw, I took the PRINT SCREENs (Screen Shots) of this image as it was displayed in both the applications and combined them to a single image. I hope you can make out the difference. The top one is in IE and the bottom one is in Photo Gallery of Vista.

The Official non-auto Image thread-rgbs.jpg

As you can see, the bottom one is more vivid and is actually the true Adobe RGB colorspace representation of the image which is saved in that. The IE displays it using the sRGB colorspace which is not as wide as Adobe RGB 1998.

Now you may ask, how come the earlier image of pineapple is more vivid than sRGB if the browser can't show it as it is? Actually thats a cheat I did, I took the screen shot of the Adobe RGB image as it was displayed with color proofing in CS2, and saved as another image using the default sRGB - thats my WYSIWYG conversion of color spaces

Last edited by clevermax : 26th October 2008 at 19:24.
Old 26th October 2008, 22:25   #4153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Oh it does.
now you are comparing viewers. actually IE plays with the images before displaying, check if you have set any options like these in IE. for viewing and printing, better use standard viewing software.

The Official non-auto Image thread-untitled.jpg
Old 27th October 2008, 00:32   #4154
Team-BHP Support

Correct me if im wrong but i was under the impression that only FireFox 3 supported embedded color profiles, all the other browsers at this time use sRGB regardless (so therefore saving as Adobe RGB 1998 would be negated when viewed online in any other browser) ?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th October 2008 at 00:33.
Old 27th October 2008, 08:25   #4155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Correct me if im wrong but i was under the impression that only FireFox 3 supported embedded color profiles, all the other browsers at this time use sRGB regardless (so therefore saving as Adobe RGB 1998 would be negated when viewed online in any other browser) ?

cya
R
I tend to agree with this. anyone wants to see for yourself, do this simple test if you have a camera that can capture in raw mode.

take a raw picture and create the jpeg using adobe rgb colorspace. then open this picture in IE and also in windows photo gallery. you can notice the differences in color.

Most Viewed