Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2009, 11:59   #5491
BHPian

Awesome. I was waiting for Rudra's take on this.
Old 4th June 2009, 12:16   #5492
BHPian

Clevermax,

You are welcome. I have learnt a lot (only theory as of now) from DPS. I just got my hands on a DSLR and still getting used to it. And I have only a 18-55, and have been shooting mostly wide open. And I faced similar problems with smaller DOF, when I went to BNP (butterfly park). I loved the way the autofocus worked on field, but when I got home and saw my pics on PC, I was disappointed. I got better pics of those butterflies with my P&S. But then, the learning curve started, and I am so excited to learn so many things and the biggest discovery for me was the plane of focus and how you have to keep your camera parallel to the subject etc etc. Now, I am trying to learn how to use DOF calculators.

I will be happy even if I get even 10 shots like the ones posted here by so many members. Hope it comes true.
Old 4th June 2009, 12:55   #5493
Team-BHP Support

Composing emotional images is something that can't be learnt from books or others. I have never been able to compose emotions image until now. I think most of us do it by accident once in a while, but rarely by design.

But there are people who can consistently capture emotions, not on our forum though. I guess it takes a very different kind of person. And it can be done with any camera, no special gear required. The Afgan girl is probably the most famous example.

Afghan Girl (photo) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 4th June 2009, 13:04   #5494
BHPian

@Samurai
I have a friend who is a documentary photographer and some of his images have that distinct quality that you just mentioned. And they stay in the heart forever.
Check out his work here. Its fantastic.
UNNI PHOTOGRAPHY
Regards,
TG.
Old 4th June 2009, 13:24   #5495
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
Check out his work here. Its fantastic.
UNNI PHOTOGRAPHY
Yup, this is what I was talking about. Great work.
Old 4th June 2009, 14:57   #5496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
It comes while using higher aperture. If you don't want that use larger aperture (say f8 onwards). You may have to use a ND filter to compensate exposure.
But is'nt ND required only when slow shutter is also needed? I think in such a situation, a higher shutter speed will suffice.
Old 4th June 2009, 15:23   #5497
BHPian

Janitha,

ND cuts down the light. Since, you are going to be using apertures above f8 (more open) the light coming in will be a lot more especially when pointed towards the source of light. To compensate that, you will have to use the ND filter. I think, that's what Rudra sir meant.
Old 4th June 2009, 16:15   #5498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I seldom take pictures with narrow apertures.. like f/10 onwards to f/35 or so... need to experiment more with narrower apertures. I like the bokeh effect very much and and so I tend to use larger apertures and sometimes struggle to get the whole subject (like flowers) in focus because of the narrower DOF which comes along with a large aperture....!
That's exactly what me too am thinking. I guess as a newbie , who is still learning to use a sophisticated tool, shallow DOF fascinates a lot.
May be because, having got used to a p&s, shallow DOF is first thing that a newbie like me wants to show off

This thread is feeding me lots of complex techniques in quite a simple way. I am yet to learn many more things.Many thanks to all the experts for such superb and detailed explanations.

Another funny newbie misconception from my personal experience:" zoom lens is everything". Having used a p&s earlier, I thought what on earth am I going to do with a fixed focal length lens. But the 50mm prime had taught me many a lessons. One important thing it made me realise is that our eyes too are fixed (no zoom ) but superb flexibility of adjusting to light and capability to focus on any thing instantly is what makes our vision. Equally important is a prime to a photographer.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 4th June 2009 at 16:23.
Old 4th June 2009, 16:39   #5499
BHPian

@deetee
I so totally agre with you pal! Check this out, it just regarding this topic
Artechknowhow: Sharing energy space
Regards,
TG.
Old 4th June 2009, 16:57   #5500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
@deetee: Need help. How do you upload the images with borders and also insert text above each of them.
Hey, sorry for the late reply.I have learnt it somewhere on this forum.
The easiest way to add borders is to
-> load the photo in photoshop,
->in the palette select a dark background color of your choice.
->then go to image options and open canvas size.
->there ,increase the height and width of canvas by 0.5inches(or any number you like) more than existing number.
->click ok and you have a simple border for your photo.
-> to add text ,the simple way I prefer is to add a watermark( this I do in Picasa ) . I still could not understand an easy way in photoshop.
Will learn it sometime,it helps to avoid opening one extra application for simple purpose.

@Torqueguru
Many thanks for the link. That write up fills in me a calm feeling as I read through it.Something like I had when I read "Alchemist". Great write up and usage of words, particularly I liked the term 'energy spaces'.
Hmm. . . now (positive)patience is another important quality a photographer needs to develop.
Edit: In recent days I realised that Photography is a good stressbuster , particularly for IT people.

Last edited by deetee : 4th June 2009 at 17:02.
Old 4th June 2009, 18:06   #5501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Janitha,

Since, you are going to be using apertures above f8 (more open) the light coming in will be a lot more especially when pointed towards the source of light. To compensate that, you will have to use the ND filter.
To compensate that, higher shutter speed will do since the picture in question used a speed of just 1/25! ND will be useful in extreme lighting conditions or to have the smooth effect of flowing water by using a very slow shutter speed etc.

Last edited by janitha : 4th June 2009 at 18:09.
Old 4th June 2009, 18:13   #5502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Composing emotional images is something that can't be learnt from books or others. I have never been able to compose emotions image until now. I think most of us do it by accident once in a while, but rarely by design.

But there are people who can consistently capture emotions, not on our forum though. I guess it takes a very different kind of person. And it can be done with any camera, no special gear required. The Afgan girl is probably the most famous example.
Dear Samurai and all,

Emotional expressions and images are purely by chance, this is a little story of our bi-monthly escapades into a 3,558 square kilometers forest 150 kms. from Hyderabad. The attached photographs of "Smiles and Tears" as I have titled it, is a sequence of photographs.
At the fringe of the forest known as Nagarjuna Sagar Srisailam Tiger Reserve (NSTR) in Nallamalla hills, while we were stocking liquids from a local shop we came across this lambada girl, the glee on her face after she got a 5 rupee coin.
Then the next day a sheperd had lost one lamb deep into the forest, as the rest of the flock had to move as sunset was not far behind, This shepard in picture went deep into the forest about 2 kilometers in search of the lamb, found it, but reaching his family and the flock before sundown was as difficult.
Luckily he and we met as we took a momentary halt to shoot the thick foilage by the roadside, we gave him a lift, but he did not want to sit in the Scorpio we gave into his adamant demand and let him stand on the foot board, then as we drove for 10 minutes at 70 kmph. we saw his flock and family he asked us to stop and what followed from him was a very emotional tear filled goodbye masked by a faint smile. He did not need words to express his gratitude, we understood eachother.

If on eis lucky, it is a once in a life time oppurtunity to get something close to "The Afghan Girl".

For more beautiful pics. of the forest check out this link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ures-only.html

The Lambada Girl.
The Official non-auto Image thread-lambada-girl.jpg
My Friend Devidas, my brother Abbas and me.
The Official non-auto Image thread-jungle1.jpg
Lift at 70kmph. Holding to dear life and property.
The Official non-auto Image thread-lift.jpg
The tearing smile.
The Official non-auto Image thread-tears.jpg
Regards,
Old 4th June 2009, 19:06   #5503
BHPian

@clevermax: As others have alredy pointed, your picture brings out emotions.

I am really bad with portraits. Whenever I tried to capture a face, the only emotion that comes out is that "This photoghrapher is really pathetic in portraits"!
Old 4th June 2009, 19:13   #5504
Senior - BHPian

@fazalaliadil: Great pictures.... I like the first and last one a lot.... Me getting somewhere near the concept of composing pictures with emotional value, but I know I am still far from it.

@Hellwrath, Rudra, TG

I guess a circular polarizer can also be used to cut down light in general, apart from its capability of cutting down polarizd light from reflections. I have a Hoya 62mm Circular polarizer, and I only use it in bright daylight becuase it cuts down a lot of light!

Last edited by clevermax : 4th June 2009 at 19:19.
Old 4th June 2009, 19:25   #5505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
Whenever I tried to capture a face, the only emotion that comes out is that "This photoghrapher is really pathetic in portraits"!
Actually that's why the photographer needs to have a connection, a relationship with the subject s/he is shooting.

no, i am not asking you to have a relationship with every subject you shoot , but start with the subjects you already have a relationship with.

Go to a level where they forget there is a camera between you and them. Even communicating this is a challenge if you are not connected.

for me, having a pocket camera ready all the time helps. But I have not done many portraits of strangers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks