Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2009, 19:27   #5506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
-> to add text ,the simple way I prefer is to add a watermark( this I do in Picasa )
Thanks for the reply @detee. It was indeed helpful. I thought it was a Team BHP feature .

The text i was referring to was like "The tearing smile." added between 2 images. Still did not get that.
Old 4th June 2009, 19:31   #5507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
@fazalaliadil: Great pictures.... I like the first and last one a lot.... Me getting somewhere near the concept of composing pictures with emotional value, but I know I am still far from it.
@ clevermax,
We all are far, far from it, we may shoot a hundred frames but getting just one right is a success story. Especially the one with genuine emotions which entirely depends on the subject, we can only capture it if we are there.

@ Samurai,
If you remember the "National Geographic" also had carried a picture on its cover of a Peruvian boy who was crying after a car killed his sheep. That picture was so powerful with the dead sheep in the background, before the next issue hit the stands contributions from all over the world poured in and a lot of welfare activity was done with that money in his village, that pic. was also a by chance as the photographers car was passing the scene of accident in Peru.

This is the picture that was featured on the National Geographic.
The Official non-auto Image thread-peruboy.jpg

Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 4th June 2009 at 19:48.
Old 4th June 2009, 19:50   #5508
BHPian

Here is the famous picture of a Sudanese baby being approached by a vulture, which ultimately resulted in suicide of the photographer.

Google Image Result for http://pulitzerphotos.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/10542831_e52cfff4a0.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-vulture-baby.jpg  

Last edited by janitha : 4th June 2009 at 19:52.
Old 4th June 2009, 20:10   #5509
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
@ clevermax,
We all are far, far from it, we may shoot a hundred frames but getting just one right is a success story. Especially the one with genuine emotions which entirely depends on the subject, we can only capture it if we are there.
Fazal, your picture of man holding goat and clinging for dear life is exceptional in my view. Portrait of that guy is something out of the world. This is my honest opinion. Absolutely fantastic. This according to me is a slice of life and you couldn't have captured that by shooting many frames (a planned shoot to pull out his emotion).

For my life partner's one act play (Vanaprastham = Kunti's from Mahabharata) in Germany, I had to shoot some for her brochure and poster. I told her to act in front of the camera so that I can look through the viewfinder and click as I feel. A mixed expression of question/anger/disbelief couldn't have come out otherwise.

This photograph is probably here in this thread or some other thread. Putting it again to support my context.

The Official non-auto Image thread-anitha5.jpg
Old 4th June 2009, 20:43   #5510
Senior - BHPian

Rudy, love the mood dont remember this being posted here.

Since we are talking portraits posting 2 old clicks which is already somewhere in this thread. Just tried to capture the mood..

The Official non-auto Image thread-2134428911_8604e6727a_b.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-3061501124_798d787d81_b.jpg
Old 4th June 2009, 21:12   #5511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Fazal, your picture of man holding goat and clinging for dear life is exceptional in my view. Portrait of that guy is something out of the world. This is my honest opinion. Absolutely fantastic. This according to me is a slice of life and you couldn't have captured that by shooting many frames (a planned shoot to pull out his emotion).

For my life partner's one act play (Vanaprastham = Kunti's from Mahabharata) in Germany, I had to shoot some for her brochure and poster. I told her to act in front of the camera so that I can look through the viewfinder and click as I feel. A mixed expression of question/anger/disbelief couldn't have come out otherwise.

This photograph is probably here in this thread or some other thread. Putting it again to support my context.
Attachment 144316
Dear Mr. Rudra Sen,
I thank you for your kind comments and appreciation of my photographs, this is special compliment, coming from a accomplished and professional photographer.
Yes you are right, the gratitude in his eyes could never be captured had it not come from deep within, like it did. (There are pictures that trouble us like our friend posted on this thread about the sudanese boy hounded by the vulture and the photographer going into a trauma which was followed by suicide later). this particular photograph brought tears to my eyes the first time I saw it a year back.
Your life partners picture speaks of all the emotions you mentioned, but what I see as a first hand emotion is deep hurt, that is what the eyes speak. Her photograph is exceptionally dramatic. The high contrast very well done.
Regards,
Old 4th June 2009, 21:37   #5512
BHPian

@All,

Thank you for posting such wonderful photographs. Have seen so many portraits on many forums, but nothing comes as close to the last two pages of this forum. I have to admit I am inspired by all of you here. The range of emotions here leaves me amazed and also at the same time generates a lot of appreciation for the photographer to have captured those moments so well. Well done and thank you for inspiring me.
Old 4th June 2009, 23:46   #5513
Team-BHP Support

This was one deliberate attempt I did with my cousin. This is supposed to be the look of hope.

Hope
The Official non-auto Image thread-_1162186.jpg

This one from a Yakshagana actor.
Umm, Sadness...
The Official non-auto Image thread-pc2327041.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 5th June 2009 at 00:05.
Old 4th June 2009, 23:51   #5514
BHPian

One for the day. A picture I had taken couple of months back at Yercaud:

Macaque family

Old 5th June 2009, 00:06   #5515
Team-BHP Support

Very nice Sks_Biker, I like soft lightening that enhances the quiet mood of the family.
Old 5th June 2009, 02:22   #5516
BHPian

@Vivek
Totally agreed with what you just said. Its the essence of such photos, that relationship.
@Fazal
Exceptional shot. Phew.
@Rudra
Top class stuff.
@sksbiker
Lovely light and feel there.
A few portraits from me as well.
The Official non-auto Image thread-3592698197_6475c40f59.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-3269441347_10cb602e00.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-3270263812_40f8a71f2a.jpg
Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 5th June 2009 at 02:30.
Old 5th June 2009, 08:47   #5517
Senior - BHPian

Just took this yesterday in Bangy from my appt when it suddenly started to rain cats & dogs!!!

The Official non-auto Image thread-evening.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-pano.jpg
Old 5th June 2009, 09:13   #5518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post

@Fazal
Exceptional shot. Phew.
@Rudra
Top class stuff.
@sksbiker
Lovely light and feel there.
A few portraits from me as well.

Regards,
TG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sks_Biker View Post
One for the day. A picture I had taken couple of months back at Yercaud:

Macaque family
sks_biker,
Exceptional family potriat and the soft light did wonders.

TG,
Thanks, they were by chance photographs. adding one more of a mother and her grown up mentally retarded son, washing by a waterfall (in the same Forest as yesterdays pics.) a few meters away on the right, note the darkness, that is where this water fall drops, the mother was on constant vigil, one eye on the job and the other on her son, who was pretending to wash clothes.
The Official non-auto Image thread-mother-child.jpg
Regards,
Old 5th June 2009, 09:45   #5519
BHPian

This is a regular B&W portrait of my 6 month old son using a regular P&S (Canon S2)

I need to ask a few of you guys some tips to shoot regular B&W portraits

1. Do I need to underexpose to prevent the cam from compensating?

2. In all my pics, my histograms have a small empty space at the left. This is without any exposure compensation done in the cam. Why is it so?

3. What kind of metering do I use - Center Weighted?
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_4900.jpg  

Old 5th June 2009, 10:19   #5520
Senior - BHPian

@kalpeshc: There are numerous ways to take portraits. One of them is unerexposing. Overexposure also works fine... just google image search for 'overexposed portraits' they look cool in my opinion. I found this link quite interesting. It talks abuot inspirational portrait techniques.

http://blog.epicedits.com/2007/12/10...hy-techniques/

You can see some really interesting portraits over there.

BTW, the portrait of your son look really good. I like the expression on his face

Last edited by clevermax : 5th June 2009 at 10:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks