Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 22:53   #10036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
The second image you just posted is brilliant. Much superior composition!
The first image Samurai posted has portrait orientation and this second one is landscape oriented. Both of them have most of the frame just water. The second picture is so very pleasing to the eyes than the first one.

The orientation was chosen to be so while composing probably to capture more water and less sky. But it just didn't work..

@Pramod, the coconut trees!
Old 16th August 2010, 00:02   #10037
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was talking of composition and composition alone. I regard composition much higher than technicalities. Technicalities refer to your Shutter speed, aperture, iso, equipment and a lot more.
I was referring to technicalities of composition like

1) A minute tilt which is not noticed while shooting. Do you think we amateurs used to fix it in pre-Digital photography world?

2) Supposedly unwanted elements. Do you think we amateurs used to remove it in pre-Digital photography world?

Having started in pre-Digital world, I am used to the photography process where I try to get most of the composition right while shooting. I use Photoshop only to do some minor color/tone corrections. I generally leave the composition alone unless the error is glaring, and sometimes I do crop. That's it. I don't even use layers. I loath to spend more than 5 minutes PP on any image. I shoot only to post on the web, not even 1% of photos are printed. That being the case, why would I fuss too much about getting everything right? I am not a photography pro and I am not interested in becoming one. However, if I print it into a poster someday, I will re-PP it, even fix the tilt.

Quote:
What I was talking about is basic composition and factors relating to how your image is received when it is viewed. If you felt the elements in your image add life, then keep them but place them in a visually appealing manner. The patters and shapes your image brings out is also a very critical part of composition.
I understand the basic principle and rules of composition. But I also understand the concept of breaking the basic to achievement a result I want. A composition always has the risk of being disliked, which comes with the territory.

If you don't like my composition, you can say so and I'll accept it. But when you say it is compositionally weak, then you are being presumptuous. You are saying I don't know the rules of composition, not considering that I may have been experimenting with some new ideas.

I completely fail to see the point of your image in post#10022, to me it looks pedestrian. But I am not going to say it is compositionally weak. For I know that you know the rules of composition, and you are experimenting with some new ideas. It simply didn't work for me, that's all.

Quote:
The second image you just posted is brilliant. Much superior composition! And a stronger visual impact due to minimal distractions.
This is an image from Rudra, and my composition was inspired by it. But I am no copycat, so I altered it to suit my taste. And now you have no trouble with too much water I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
The first image Samurai posted has portrait orientation and this second one is landscape oriented. Both of them have most of the frame just water. The second picture is so very pleasing to the eyes than the first one.

The orientation was chosen to be so while composing probably to capture more water and less sky. But it just didn't work..
The orientation has nothing to do with it. My composition didn't work for you, that is acceptable to me.

However, it is one of my favourite images, I am quite proud of it. Ultimately that is the purpose of my photography hobby, I shoot for self-gravitation, and nothing else.
Old 16th August 2010, 00:08   #10038
BHPian

how about this which is better composition, BMW blur or bicycle blur

The Official non-auto Image thread-teambhp.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-teambhp1.jpg

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 16th August 2010 at 00:11.
Old 16th August 2010, 02:03   #10039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
1) A minute tilt which is not noticed while shooting. Do you think we amateurs used to fix it in pre-Digital photography world?
I am not referring to tilt correction in post-processing. It's in-camera that you must do that. I do it in-camera most of the time, very rarely do i do a tilt correction in post-process. But true, i might do it now, because I have the luxury of digital post processing.

You need not do any digital modification to get the elements removed, just shoot it right, without including it in the shot. If it still is included, wait till it moves out of your frame. If it still doesn't go out of the frame, just don't shoot or in the digital arena, just don't keep the image on your memory card!

Quote:
Having started in pre-Digital world, I am used to the photography process where I try to get most of the composition right while shooting. "
You just didn't get it right on that instance, that's all. Of late i have been shooting a lot of film. Shooting in digital can still easily incorporate film photography principles. Simple thing, shoot only when required rather than shoot tons and then decide what to delete, thought it's more easier said than done, one can at least try. I certainly do and I think its possible to do it.

I do not encourage post image composition alterations, unless its for commercial purposes or it's stated as a composite.

Quote:
I use Photoshop only to do some minor color/tone corrections. I generally leave the composition alone unless the error is glaring, and sometimes I do crop. That's it. I don't even use layers. I loath to spend more than 5 minutes PP on any image. I shoot only to post on the web, not even 1% of photos are printed. That being the case, why would I fuss too much about getting everything right? I am not a photography pro and I am not interested in becoming one. However, if I print it into a poster someday, I will re-PP it, even fix the tilt.
Neither do I use Photoshop on all my images. Most of my images are just processed in Lightroom, so there is no question of any layers. I rarely crop as well. I do not spend more than a minute in most of my post work, unless its something stylized like automotive work. You don't have to fuzz about getting everything right. It's a personal choice.

And your decision to PP only to print posters are again your choice.

Quote:
I understand the basic principle and rules of composition. But I also understand the concept of breaking the basic to achievement a result I want. A composition always has the risk of being disliked, which comes with the territory.
I still do not understand the basics of composition well enough, but one thing that I have learnt from going to an Art school, is that, a focal point and intend in terms of composition and a way of leading a viewer into the shot is absolutely necessary to make a good image and that is a critical part in any form of visual expression. And yes, any composition can be liked or disliked, anything in the world can be liked or disliked for that matter, so I don't see that making any point here, its understood.

Quote:
If you don't like my composition, you can say so and I'll accept it. But when you say it is compositionally weak, then you are being presumptuous. You are saying I don't know the rules of composition, not considering that I may have been experimenting with some new ideas.
-You know very well that I do not see yourself as someone who doesn't know the rules of composition. Experiments fail at times. This one did. That's all. But its always great to experiment!

Quote:
I completely fail to see the point of your image in post#10022, to me it looks pedestrian. But I am not going to say it is compositionally weak. For I know that you know the rules of composition, and you are experimenting with some new ideas. It simply didn't work for me, that's all.
- Compositionally it's a crappy photograph. I could not have taken any better image than that, while on a boat, when the dolphin is breaching, at different positions and to foresee where it might breach next and still get it in frame is what made that image. Although, the image does not follow many of the rules of composition, there is a focal point for you, the animal's fin. Try to shoot breaching dolphins that move at 30 to 40 knots, while on a boat, then and only then will you be able to appreciate that image. A good image is not just about what you see in it, spare a thought for how it was taken. Pedestrian or not, totally upto you, who is the viewer.

Quote:
This is an image from Rudra, and my composition was inspired by it. But I am no copycat, so I altered it to suit my taste. And now you have no trouble with too much water I see.
- Inspirations rarely match upto the originals, in this case that's exactly what happened. Rudra's image in a totally different class, just look at the balance of luminance and composition in that image! Also the lines made by the ripples lead you into the image.Its hard to match that.

Quote:
However, it is one of my favourite images, I am quite proud of it. Ultimately that is the purpose of my photography hobby, I shoot for self-gravitation, and nothing else.

- I just told you what I saw in that image. When I tell you its compositionally weak, of course its my opinion. You may have your reasons for why you shot it that way, if it keeps you happy keep doing exactly what you are doing.

With utmost respect and regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 16th August 2010 at 02:09.
Old 16th August 2010, 09:19   #10040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
@Pramod, the coconut trees!

It was a 2 exposure HDR, have to do something about the shaky hands, anyways here is a different rendering.

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc02244_5.jpg

Pramod
Old 16th August 2010, 09:29   #10041
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- Compositionally it's a crappy photograph. I could not have taken any better image than that, while on a boat, when the dolphin is breaching, at different positions and to foresee where it might breach next and still get it in frame is what made that image. Although, the image does not follow many of the rules of composition, there is a focal point for you, the animal's fin. Try to shoot breaching dolphins that move at 30 to 40 knots, while on a boat, then and only then will you be able to appreciate that image. A good image is not just about what you see in it, spare a thought for how it was taken. Pedestrian or not, totally upto you, who is the viewer.
Ah! Finally we are on the same page. Why don't you extend the same waiver to me considering I was shooting the wake of the boat with the horizon on the background, from a moving houseboat? The boat was not moving perpendicular to the river bank at the horizon, and I had no access to the rear of the boat, I had to shoot from the side extending out.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:07   #10042
BHPian

@samurai
The horizon tilt is a minor issue samu, like I said, its a combination of various factors that lead into your composition being weak.Considering the situation, it could be a tough shot, and as much as I appreciate your effort, like my dolphin image, your image is still weak in composition, IMHO. We all do not always end up with perfect compositions all the time, but understanding why some images work while others dont, improve our thought process before we release the shutter, which will make us take better and stronger images.

My fellow tbhpians,

Please go to August week 2, 4rth image. Your Shot - Daily Dozen - National Geographic Magazine

One more of my images was selected to be on display in the daily dozen category on the National Geographic.com website. The first one was during September week 2, 2009.

I have learnt a lot through the amazing discussions I have had on TBHP photography forums, over the years. Thank you one and all.

Regards,
TG.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:37   #10043
BHPian

Quote:
One more of my images was selected to be on display in the daily dozen category on the National Geographic.com website. The first one was during September week 2, 2009. ..

Regards,
TG.
Congrats TG. Even we feel privileged to have such photographers like you posting in Team-BHP.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:45   #10044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My fellow tbhpians,

Please go to August week 2, 4rth image. Your Shot - Daily Dozen - National Geographic Magazine

One more of my images was selected to be on display in the daily dozen category on the National Geographic.com website. The first one was during September week 2, 2009.

I have learnt a lot through the amazing discussions I have had on TBHP photography forums, over the years. Thank you one and all.

Regards,
TG.
Congrats TG, by the way I do not know your actual name. Seeing three snaps are posted by Indians, which one is yours?
Old 16th August 2010, 11:49   #10045
BHPian

From garden

The Official non-auto Image thread-photography.jpg
Old 16th August 2010, 12:25   #10046
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Congrats! Those of us who have seen your progression from early days your photography, are really proud of you.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:52   #10047
Senior - BHPian

Amazing Walrus shot. Were you underwater with the animal to picturise this?

Quote:
@samurai

One more of my images was selected to be on display in the daily dozen category on the National Geographic.com website.
Regards,
TG.
Old 16th August 2010, 13:02   #10048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Congrats TG, by the way I do not know your actual name. Seeing three snaps are posted by Indians, which one is yours?
Please ignore the above message, i was taken to week 3 when I clicked the link. Yeah! I remember seeing this snap in this thread. Nice one, was it captured from a transparent glass tank or underwater?
Old 16th August 2010, 13:15   #10049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My fellow tbhpians,

Regards,
TG.
Congratulations Mukul! Way to go! Not asking you again how you made that shot.
Old 16th August 2010, 13:20   #10050
Senior - BHPian

One for the Monday.

The Official non-auto Image thread-1.jpg

Most Viewed