Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2010, 18:32   #10591
Senior - BHPian

pawan nice landscape shot there pal. shaju I have done a few street shoots but then this was real problem
Quote:
Its not about making everyone pose for you Shaju. It's about getting out of your comfort zone to shoot images.
It was often weird looks from people and some would never oblige.

One from the KRS backwaters.

The Official non-auto Image thread-2.jpg
Old 1st October 2010, 19:07   #10592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
...cause I am non-drinker and vegeterian, so for me nothing is there.
I changed both these statuses for more enjoyment!
Old 1st October 2010, 19:26   #10593
Team-BHP Support

We should put a disclaimer, just as in the ICE section. Risks involved in following this thread- Main risk being 'thou shall be robbed'.

Got my 50 1.8 II today!

My first experience with a prime, and i'm enjoying it. Hopefully, i'll get to learn a lot from this. Also, from the initial impressions, this is one fantastic glass considering it costs only around 5.5k MRP.
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_1497_800.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
It was often weird looks from people and some would never oblige.
True! I really get tensed when there are crowds around. Mind keeps on reminding me to put the camera in the bag, and walk off!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st October 2010 at 19:32.
Old 1st October 2010, 20:06   #10594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
shaju I have done a few street shoots but then this was real problem. It was often weird looks from people and some would never oblige.
Riju, I have no idea what TG meant in that comment, people who have come with me for a photowalk would know a totally different ME, because I really dont have a comfort zone I just charge into any place, any crowd without a second thought. Getting some rare shots is always my first priority and I get into any filth or dirt for that. My graduation was Journalism major, although I am in the financial line straight 12 years ! But I try to respect and protect the comfort zone of the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
True! I really get tensed when there are crowds around. Mind keeps on reminding me to put the camera in the bag, and walk off!
You should come with me for a walk. I think its a 'tensed' feel that can be overcome with couple of walks.

The 'drummers of god' photo I had posted earlier was shot standing in the middle of the empty space usually kept by the crowd, I had to literally move the cam few times to avoid the waving sticks of the drummers. Thats when around 300 people standing around watching the performance. Pic below will tell you where I was standing , so what is a comfort zone discussed here ?
The Official non-auto Image thread-19.jpg
This is 35m f/1.8, taken sitting on the floor..LOL

Last edited by shajufx : 1st October 2010 at 20:08.
Old 1st October 2010, 21:31   #10595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so what is a comfort zone discussed here ?
You taking images of somebody's legs to fulfill your fetish . That said this shot has nothing much to talk about.

The Official non-auto Image thread-b.jpg

Just to quote an example, the lady in this image was nowhere in the comfort zone and wouldn't let me take a pic of her with the kid. Finally my wife had to walk up from the car and convince her. These are the real tight situations wherein you are helpless.

I have been for a few photo-shoots long ago with flickr members and one instance I remember was the weekend shoot at Dhoby Ghat.. The fellas there would never budge and wouldn't let us take pictures. Another instance was pottery town and that's when I decided I never would go in for street photography.
Old 1st October 2010, 21:40   #10596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You taking images of somebody's legs to fulfill your fetish......... the weekend shoot at Dhoby Ghat.. The fellas there would never budge and wouldn't let us take pictures. Another instance was pottery town and that's when I decided I never would go in for street photography.
You missed seeing the empty space Riju
I agree with you about exceptional cases. There is no point arguing or forcing someone, I keep moving, such act has always given better subjects. Pottery town people are known to have some attitude, I haven't gone there, but have heard enough. There are many other pottery related villages and spots in Bangalore.

I loved the colors in your image.
Old 1st October 2010, 21:52   #10597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
@Shaju and clever: Thanks for suggestion. Seems like I am really doing the composition wrong. Next time I will take care.

Well, today I am going october fest, my office booked the tent for us. Taking my camera along, cause I am non-drinker and vegeterian, so for me nothing is there.

Pool on mountian
Where is this place?
Old 1st October 2010, 22:04   #10598
Senior - BHPian

I will have to agree with riju and TG, the street photography has to narrate a story, well to shoot these one has to have a vision and then the composition and finally the camera familiarity. i had the vision while taking these but soon i was overwhelmed and lost in the composition and technique. i am trying really hard to get there, let me start some solo photowalks

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc02371.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc02374.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc02375.jpg

Pramod
Old 2nd October 2010, 01:23   #10599
BHPian

@Shaju
Nice try! I can see what you are communicating there(sadly not many might see it that way)! I am glad you are not just taking pretty pictures, but looking towards taking good photographs! Always make sure your images have the elements of composition in tact. The drums leading me to the person in shorts is a good ploy, but the image does not make me sit up and take notice of what is going on.

When I say comfort zone, what I mean is, taking pictures from a distance or angle that your are most comfortable...its not just about putting effort to be at the place. Its about how comfortable you are when you are going to take the shot with respect to your position.

I will show you 3 examples:

Here, there was no particular situation, no particular angle from where getting a shot is particularly challenging. It was a street fair, any other photographer might have taken this shot.
The Official non-auto Image thread-5033877377_ae9e4565f0_b.jpg

Here, in the second example thats not the case. I am inside a club, where taking pictures is not appreciated, exposing myself and the camera(i dont hide and shoot), shooting from close, almost in side the cage they were dancing in the club, yet composing the lines and trying to tell the tale of people who have caged themselves up in the notion of enjoyment. Not many photographers might have come back with an image from that place in that fashiopn, because I was completely battling my inhibitions and shooting out of my comfort zone.
The Official non-auto Image thread-5034516790_8ac5ee4a82_b.jpg

In this example too, I was completely out of my comfort zone...I was scared, yet careful and patient to get up close to the Emu. It's a piece of cake to shoot this animal with a zoom lens. But to go close and get a wider perspective it takes you to get out of that comfort zone. The result, a different perspective and a more interesting image.
The Official non-auto Image thread-4489015628_536d84d1c6_b.jpg

I am not saying you have to do that all the time! Just enjoy your time with the camera

I just shared the perspectives I have learnt through conversations with some of the most reputed photographers in the photojournalism realm, and also from various publications that I have come across. Photo journalism is a slightly more complicated field where you need to look at a lot of aspects that actually make a good image...simple shooting a few shots of people without any communication does not reveal a good story. The image must speak to you...not simple look "pretty". The image can look utterly dirty yet if it tells the story, it would pass off as a great photojournalistic shot. Elements of composition must be strongly there...all the leading lines, all the rules etc need to be strongly used to tell the story and sometimes even broken to tell the story. Going to the street and shooting people or social situations requires a commitment to shaping public opinion, its not just take images its also about giving back something to the society through your images.

See this piece. Its the King of documentary photography talking...James Nachtwey.

Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 2nd October 2010 at 01:35.
Old 2nd October 2010, 10:32   #10600
Senior - BHPian

TG, thanks for the tons of info, I am glad there is no communication gap. I am yet to go out for a serious street photography. Thanks to my dear friend Jerry (chennai) for taking me out of my reservations and inhibitions in a crowd. I must agree, I have got majority of tips from my walk companions than through books or web. A learner should always have a perfect tutor in the field, I will be missing Veeresh (HW) from tomorow as a good guide and tutor although he never acknowledged to be one .
Old 2nd October 2010, 18:04   #10601
Senior - BHPian

@TG
Nice to read your inputs. Though I am not into street photography, it's good to know. Nice shots too

This shot is 'as is', only processing is B&W. I didn't even realize that I am shooting indoors in low light with f/10 and ISO100, out of focus. Shutter speed was 1 second, thanks to her and Super Steady shot.

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc00489.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd October 2010 at 18:07.
Old 2nd October 2010, 19:10   #10602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
@TG

This shot is 'as is', only processing is B&W.
Lovely sunil, i think a vertical portrait orientation would have been awesome.

Pramod
Old 2nd October 2010, 19:26   #10603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice to read your inputs. Though I am not into street photography, it's good to know.....Shutter speed was 1 second, thanks to her and Super Steady shot.
Shall we request TG to give some inputs on how to handle and shoot spiders? (dont search for me !!!)
Lovely angle there, it gave me some new ideas to experiment, thanks
Old 2nd October 2010, 20:31   #10604
BHPian

Quote:
awesome

Here is my collegues enoying in beer fest
The Official non-auto Image thread-pawan-pullarwar-photographyresize.jpg
Old 3rd October 2010, 00:14   #10605
BHPian

@Shaju
I am arachnophobic!But probably i can manage to photograph them. haha.

@clever, no problem! I liked that perspective you used.

The Official non-auto Image thread-5034506356_ea1004289c_b.jpg
Regards,
TG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks