Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 13:12   #14311
BHPian

Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I used CombineZM to focus stack 4 individual shots, here's the result..
Attachment 925424

This is what we're looking at
Attachment 925427

It does the job really well, only issue is, the processing is a bit time consuming with my 16MP images.

Excuse me for the bad subject, I couldn't wait to try the software Thanks white-rabbit.
Hey,I liked that.To day I understood how to use focus stacking in PS.
I saw the youtube of it.Dint get a chance to try.

Also trying to source DCR 250. In india it is costing arournd 5500K. Need to find out some body returning from singapore or US

Please post more Macros!!
Old 10th May 2012, 22:16   #14312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Disclaimer : This is a very amateurish attempt at both clicking and processing

On : May 1st , Thrissur Pooram
Using : Nikon D3100
CleverMax , Rudra sir, TG , critical comments please. Or is it too bad, that it is not worth commenting
Old 11th May 2012, 09:28   #14313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Disclaimer : This is a very amateurish attempt at both clicking and processing
On : May 1st , Thrissur Pooram
Using : Nikon D3100
I am not sure whether it is your processing, but all pictures except last one looks to be totally blown out on the highlights.. plus all are looking warmer than usual. In which mode you took these? Active-D lighting was on or offf?

I'm addicted to the macro set up but no time to go out and shoot.. so my subjects are limited to these..
f/2, ISO100, 1/5s @50mm
The Official non-auto Image thread-_dsc4376.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 11th May 2012 at 09:55.
Old 11th May 2012, 14:39   #14314
BHPian

Experimenting with Reverse Lens Technique, used 18-55 lens.
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-1img_0500.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-1img_0675.jpg  

Old 11th May 2012, 14:52   #14315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
Fantastic photos!!Which Camera ?
Also what adapter did you use for the lens reversal ? price details would be much appreciated please.

Quote:
Thanks! Cannon 1100D, used 58 mm reverse lens adapter, bought it for 350 bucks.
Thanks, I was hoping your cam to be a Canon. I have a 550D. Where from did you buy it. Is it on Ebay ? I am going to order right away.!!

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 11th May 2012 at 15:13.
Old 11th May 2012, 15:01   #14316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Also what adapter did you use for the lens reversal ? price details would be much appreciated please.
Thanks! Cannon 1100D, used 58 mm reverse lens adapter, bought it for 350 bucks.

Quote:
Thanks, I was hoping your cam to be a Canon. I have a 550D. Where from did you buy it. Is it on Ebay ? I am going to order right away.!!
Bought it from Angel Photo @ Fort, I guess they are available on Ebay too.

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th May 2012 at 13:02. Reason: back to back posts within 30 minutes
Old 11th May 2012, 15:38   #14317
BHPian

Quote:

I have the same adapter.I bought it from ebay.I paid around 150 or so.It is useful,but a huge chance of damaging your lens.Be careful when you reverse the lens.

One click from my friend,with his permission.
He took this using Nikon L110.
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-dscn6428.jpg  

Old 11th May 2012, 15:54   #14318
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure whether it is your processing, but all pictures except last one looks to be totally blown out on the highlights.. plus all are looking warmer than usual. In which mode you took these? Active-D lighting was on or offf?

I'm addicted to the macro set up but no time to go out and shoot.. so my subjects are limited to these..
f/2, ISO100, 1/5s @50mm
Attachment 925965
Welcome to the macro fanatics club :P. The addiciton is something that's very to take away because it's highly frustrating but rewarding. BTW, one cool thing would be to use longer focal length to get a narrow FOV, in effect you can have very good control on the background. Those yellow flowers you had posted a few pages back will be excellent as background.

Quote:
Ah, very cool photos. Just remember though, wider the lens, higher the magnification (when reversed) and lesser the DOF. So, zoom out whenever need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
I have the same adapter.I bought it from ebay.I paid around 150 or so.It is useful,but a huge chance of damaging your lens.Be careful when you reverse the lens.
Yep, I think we had a long discussion on the DSLR thread about rear elements. Damage to rear element can cause a loss in IQ. But yes, get an old manual focus lens and reverse it, you should be good to go.
Old 11th May 2012, 16:07   #14319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
WB, huge chances of damaging as in? Is it the lens handling part or reversing the lens and using it with adapter only damages the lens?

I am anyways planning to buy the 50mm prime for myself and will use it as a primary lens. I am not sure if I can get a decent price for my 18-55mm if I sell it so though it would be put to good use for macro's through the adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Yep, I think we had a long discussion on the DSLR thread about rear elements. Damage to rear element can cause a loss in IQ. But yes, get an old manual focus lens and reverse it, you should be good to go.
HW, any recommendation on good old manual focus lens ?estimated price range ?
Old 11th May 2012, 16:20   #14320
BHPian

Quote:
WB, huge chances of damaging as in? Is it the lens handling part or reversing the lens and using it with adapter only damages the lens?

I am anyways planning to buy the 50mm prime for myself and will use it as a primary lens. I am not sure if I can get a decent price for my 18-55mm if I sell it so though it would be put to good use for macro's through the adapter.

The unprotected rear end of the lense will be exposed.The chances of getting moisture and dust inside is more.

I have tried lense reversal,double-lens and closeup filters(ebay ones) and some home made extention tubes.
From all these what I felt was(greatly influenced by CleverMax) we should go for Raynox CDR 250 . Try to source one of these.Check out clevermax's clicks using Raynox.If you can put some effort,you will get some mind blowing results than lens reversal and all other techniques for that price.
Old 12th May 2012, 09:14   #14321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Welcome to the macro fanatics club :P. The addiciton is something that's very to take away because it's highly frustrating but rewarding. BTW, one cool thing would be to use longer focal length to get a narrow FOV, in effect you can have very good control on the background. Those yellow flowers you had posted a few pages back will be excellent as background.
Thanks for the suggestion.. I haven't got any time yet to go out and shoot some macros. Macro world is still limited to indoors and artificial light. Suggest an easily doable light diffusing mechanism? These are taken with direct (external) flash and it is a harsh lighting on the subjects.

The Official non-auto Image thread-_dsc4419.jpg
Old 12th May 2012, 09:40   #14322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax

Thanks for the suggestion.. I haven't got any time yet to go out and shoot some macros. Macro world is still limited to indoors and artificial light. Suggest an easily doable light diffusing mechanism? These are taken with direct (external) flash and it is a harsh lighting on the subjects.
I've read in photography forums about the use of small casing made from butter paper an fixed in front of the flash to diffuse the harsh flash light. It's kinda DIY.
Old 12th May 2012, 09:51   #14323
BHPian

Quote:
Any old lens will do. You can check some old camera shops in your city and buy a cheap MF (with aperture control) old lens. You can get high magnification even by using this reversed lens on a regular lens. Like, mount a 70-300 lens on your camera. Now, reverse this MF lens and mount it in front of the 70-300, that way you'll get really really high magnification.

My suggestion would be to get canon FD lens as they can't be mounted on regular DSLRs and are usually cheap.

Quote:

Attachment 926425

You can use anything that can act as a scrim or a reflector. I have gotten good results with an A4 paper as a scrim. Also, check this thread on FM:

Post Your Set Up! - FM Forums

It has so many setups that you can use to diffuse the flash.
Old 12th May 2012, 12:29   #14324
BHPian

picture taken through my HTC mobile at Mantralayam
The Official non-auto Image thread-7153316923_52d1ce9938_z.jpg
Old 12th May 2012, 14:12   #14325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax

Nice macros with the Raynox! Would you mind shooting the moon with a 300mm and Raynox and posting here?

Also, will auto focus work with raynox?

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks