Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2007, 15:13   #1546
BHPian

not sure if its OT , but how abt a 2-in-1 shot?

a truck went all-wheels-up mode while taking a shortcut in Baralacha la..the other truck is parked and the driver watching the scene.

Old 2nd October 2007, 21:43   #1547
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy View Post
not sure if its OT , but how abt a 2-in-1 shot?

a truck went all-wheels-up mode while taking a shortcut in Baralacha la..the other truck is parked and the driver watching the scene.
Funny how the truck seems to have rolled over UPhill instead of downhill...!

Either the angle of the shot it misleading, or there was a lot of liquid swinging back and forth in that tanker...

cya
R
Old 3rd October 2007, 16:35   #1548
BHPian

The idea of 2 in 1 is good, well Daddy...
Old 3rd October 2007, 20:57   #1549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Here's one from my Olympus E500.

-- Torqy
Great composition well balanced, a classic one.
Old 4th October 2007, 20:33   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Found these tips and thought I share it with everyone here. Was browsing through flickr and found these tips.

1. Sunny 16 Rule
The basic exposure for an average scene taken on a bright, sunny day is f/16 at a shutter speed equivalent to one over the ISO setting—that is, f/16 at 1/100 sec at ISO 100. From this you can interpolate, and try f/22 at the beach, f/11 on a cloudy-bright day, etc.

2. Moony 11, 8, and 5.6 Rules
There are many different rules that work well when shooting the moon. One favorite for a proper exposure of a full moon is f/11 at one over the ISO setting. For pictures of a half moon, use the same shutter speed at f/8, and for a quarter moon, use the same shutter speed at f/5.6.

3. Camera Shake Rule
The slowest shutter speed at which you can safely handhold a camera is one over the focal length of the lens in use. As shutter speeds get slower, camera shake is likely to result in an increasing loss of sharpness. So, if you're using a 50mm lens, shoot at 1/60 sec or faster. Not enough light? Use a flash, tripod, or brace your camera against a solid object.

4. Anatomical Gray Card
Metering off an 18-percent neutral gray card is a good way to get a midtone reading that will give you a good overall exposure of a scene. Forgot your gray card? Hold your open hand up so it's facing the light, take a reading off your palm, open up one stop, and shoot. (Various skin tones rarely account for even a full-stop difference.)

5. Depth of Field Rules
When focusing on a deep subject, focus on a point about a third of the way into the picture to maximize depth of field, because the depth-of-field zone behind that point is about twice as deep as the depth-of-field zone in front of it. This works for all apertures and focal lengths, but the smaller the aperture and the shorter the focal length, and the greater the distance you shoot at, the greater the depth of field.

6. Largest Digital Print Rule
To calculate in inches the largest photo-quality print you can make with a digital camera, divide the vertical and horizontal pixel counts (see your manual) by 200. For critical applications, or if you want exhibition-quality prints, divide the pixel counts by 250.

7. Exposure Rules
The classic advice is, "Expose for the highlights, and let the shadows take care of themselves." This works with slide film and digital. But with negative film, especially color negative, you're better off overexposing by one stop.

8. Quick Flash-fill Rule
When using an automatic flash unit that doesn't provide auto flash-fill ratios, set the flash's ISO dial to twice the ISO you're using. Meter the scene, select an f-stop, set the autoflash aperture to the same f-stop, and shoot. The resulting 2:1 flash-fill ratio will produce filled shadows one stop darker than the main subject.

9. Flash Range Rule
Want to know how much extra flash range you get by going to a faster ISO? The rule is, "Double the distance, four times the speed." For example: If your flash is good to 20 feet at ISO 100 (film or digital), it will be good to 40 feet at ISO 400.

10. Megapixel Multiplier Rule
To double the resolution in a digital camera, you must increase the number of megapixels by a factor of four—not two. Why? The number of pixels in both the vertical and horizontal dimensions must be doubled to double the pixel density across the image sensor.

11. Action-stopping Rules
To stop action moving across the frame that's perpendicular to the lens axis, you need shutter speeds two stops faster than action moving toward or away from you. For action moving at a 45-degree angle to the lens axis, you can use a shutter speed one stop slower. For example: If a person running toward you at moderate speed can be stopped at 1/125 sec, you'll need a shutter speed of 1/500 sec to stop the subject moving across the frame, and a shutter speed of 1/250 sec to stop him if moving obliquely with respect to the camera.

12. Sunset Rule
To get a properly exposed sunset, meter the area directly above the sun (without including the sun). If you want the scene to look like it's a half-hour later, stop down by one f-stop, or set exposure compensation to minus one.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 4th October 2007 at 20:35.
Old 4th October 2007, 20:43   #1551
Senior - BHPian

Riju
Nice info shared but some of it went over over my head.
I guess it will bcome more clear once i read more and also when i get a better camera.

Last edited by kpzen : 4th October 2007 at 20:44.
Old 4th October 2007, 22:58   #1552
Team-BHP Support

Getting close to a Hibiscus flower...

Old 4th October 2007, 23:02   #1553
Senior - BHPian

Monsieur whats on the lower half of the 3rd pic ? I see a red spot. BTW nice pics as usual .
Old 4th October 2007, 23:07   #1554
Team-BHP Support

It was a 15 second exposure shot in very low light. Must be noise, I didn't clone it out since I was not too sure. I thought it could be floating pollen, but it couldn't have stayed like that for 15 seconds.
Old 4th October 2007, 23:10   #1555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Monsieur whats on the lower half of the 3rd pic ? I see a red spot. BTW nice pics as usual .
looks like a dead pixel.

samurai, liked the color scheme in the first picture.

regards
tifosi.
Old 4th October 2007, 23:13   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Monsieur doesn't look like pollen to me. Looks more like a glow.
Old 4th October 2007, 23:23   #1557
IMP
BHPian

Well, this is my first post on this wonderful thread. What do you think about these guys?

Old 5th October 2007, 00:14   #1558
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
looks like a dead pixel.
I doubt that since its SO large. (unless it became so since it was a long exposure, but i doubt iit...)

cya
R
Old 5th October 2007, 03:18   #1559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Getting close to a Hibiscus flower...
One from me

Old 5th October 2007, 09:37   #1560
Team-BHP Support

One more for the Hibiscus family portrait... shot last month.

Most Viewed