Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2008, 02:19   #3496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonblackybx View Post
Thanks for liking the images.
This not done on PP, its processed on Photomatix. These kind of images are called as HDR(High Defintion Resolution) image. Picture with same frame but different exposure are merged to create these kind of images so that every detail can be brought out in one Image. There is no still camera that can produce HDR image though there are video cameras that claim to capture HDR (Correct me if I am wrong).

BTW what do you mean by Orton?
In Photoshop also you can do HDR (High Dynamic Range AFAIK ;-) ) i.e. blending photographs of difference exposures of exact same frame so that you can get the high dynamics range of the lighting situation. CCD/CMOS have a dynamic range of only around 5 stops or so[correct me if I'm wrong here]. We used to use Graduated ND's during film days to not to get blown-out skies or too dark shadow area during those kind of situations but it has it's limitations(although I use GND's now also). But HDR technique gives one much more control.

Part 2 : Anyway Orton is this technique, Creative Nature Photography - Orton Imagery

And here is one Photograph on which I've applied Orton, not great composition but just to show the technique,The Official non-auto Image thread-onwayto-pune.jpg
Old 6th July 2008, 08:14   #3497
rippergeo

I like macros that have been prepared. That is, the subject should be spotless. no dirt, no dust, no diseased areas. those are the pics that have maximum impact.
since we get so up close during macros, every small flaw in the subject is magnified.
also, isnt it better to click macros without the flash? the flash wipes out textures and details.
I wont try posting any macros.I'll get ripped to shreds
I'll stick to what I'm decent at.here's a sunset I clicked near my house.
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_3605-copy.jpg  

Old 6th July 2008, 08:29   #3498
Team-BHP Support

Please give your suggestions-
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_0896_800.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_0905_800.jpg
2nd picture is intentionally over-exposed to get the transparency of petal. Any other way than over-exposing?

Also-
-Is it best to use, or not to use tripods for shooting flowers? Although tripods tend to give good results, setting them up on the level of flowers seem to be a very difficult task (for a beginner).

-For shooting B&W pictures, is it best to shoot in B&W from camera itself? Or is it better to convert to B&W using PS?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th July 2008 at 08:32.
Old 6th July 2008, 09:43   #3499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Part 2 : Anyway Orton is this technique, Creative Nature Photography - Orton Imagery
kaushik_s,
Thanks for sharing this link, looks interesting. Especially because of the prospect of using it with existing photos. Let me try and see, only problem is I dont have PS, so will have to figure out using some freeware to do this.

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 6th July 2008, 11:27   #3500
rippergeo

@crazy driver- loved the 1st pic. great use of a similar coloured background. didnt like the ant on the flower, but wait for others' opinion on that.

I tried the same kind of flower(chrysanthemum?) on a black/dark background. didnt work out too well for me. yours is very nice.

the 2nd pic, I'm not able to make out the petals separately, I can see the veins going through the petals, but the individual petals themselves have merged into one. I dont know how you can get around that problem. wait for more suggestions.

all said and done, if you have achieved the result you wanted after you clicked it, and the pic on the computer scren matches the one you had in mind, thats all that matters IMO.

Old 6th July 2008, 11:46   #3501
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@crazy driver- loved the 1st pic. great use of a similar coloured background. didnt like the ant on the flower, but wait for others' opinion on that.
I tried the same kind of flower(chrysanthemum?) on a black/dark background. didnt work out too well for me. yours is very nice.
Thanks rippergeo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
the 2nd pic, I'm not able to make out the petals separately, I can see the veins going through the petals, but the individual petals themselves have merged into one. I dont know how you can get around that problem. wait for more suggestions.

all said and done, if you have achieved the result you wanted after you clicked it, and the pic on the computer scren matches the one you had in mind, thats all that matters IMO.
Actually, the flower does not have petals as such and the whole flower didnt look too good from the top. Thats why tried a sidewise shot. (atleast i couldn't make out seperately. This is the flower in the pic (small pic because it doesn't deserve to be in this thread)-
Attachment 26800
Thanks again ripper!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th July 2008 at 11:54.
Old 6th July 2008, 12:12   #3502
BHPian

jack33: i like the first picture.....nice perspective. With some cropping, it will come out even better. Keep shooting.
Old 6th July 2008, 14:18   #3503
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Please give your suggestions-
This is an wonderfully exposed shot, the slight softness actually works in favour of the shot. The ant provides a contrast, so don't worry about it. Although you can consider recropping it for better frame. How's the full frame look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
-For shooting B&W pictures, is it best to shoot in B&W from camera itself? Or is it better to convert to B&W using PS?
No, always use PS to convert it to B&W.
Old 6th July 2008, 14:46   #3504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is an wonderfully exposed shot, the slight softness actually works in favour of the shot. The ant provides a contrast, so don't worry about it. Although you can consider recropping it for better frame. How's the full frame look like?
Didnt crop the picture, just resized. Didn't notice that the resolution was set to 3264*1832 (supposed to be wide angle) as against the usual 3264*2448.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No, always use PS to convert it to B&W.
Thank you Samurai.
Old 6th July 2008, 14:50   #3505
BHPian

Wow! A lot of macros coming up!
@Crazydriver
Nice shot, but i dont know where to look at, the ant is like a distraction, especially since its out of focus..keep clicking.

Meanwhile here is an old one i had taken. Used cam - Nikon d80.
The Official non-auto Image thread-d80.jpg
Regards,
TG.
Old 6th July 2008, 15:14   #3506
Senior - BHPian

Torque , nice one. Wish it was someone else
Old 6th July 2008, 18:46   #3507
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday it was work day compensating for the Bandh few days back. I did some Jeep photography at work in the evening, and later I was putting the soft top back on. A colleague runs out and tells me there is a peacock behind the building. Since I had the E3 and the 50-200mm handy, I rushed out and starting stalking it and clicking. It went out of sight over a mud hill, I slowly circled the mud hill and ran into 5 peacock/peahens. Moment they saw me they all took flight so fast, I was at a loss. Besides, my lens was at long end (400mm EFL), so I couldn't shoot at the general direction either. So I got no shots of 5 birds together.

I got only one decent shot, that too from distance since it kept moving as I followed.
The Official non-auto Image thread-p7051069.jpg
Old 6th July 2008, 19:41   #3508
rippergeo

peacocks are a pain to shoot in the wild. they never stay still or let you get close enough.

Here's today's sunset.
Andhakaranazhi,Used to be a beach, but now, with the sea wall, the place is going downhill.

Shot in RAW, PPed in PS3 for lightening,saturation and contrast.
I also removed the power lines from the top left hand corner
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_4513-copy.jpg  

Old 6th July 2008, 19:56   #3509
Team-BHP Support

Louis, consider adding a little pop, otherwise it is a very nice scene.

Something like this:
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_451320copy.jpg
Old 6th July 2008, 20:34   #3510
rippergeo

@samurai- more contrast and more saturation? is that what you did?

After discovering PS3's capabilities, I've been slightly drunk on the god like power it gives me over the pics. and I've been going way over the top with saturation and contrast.

this time during PP, I made a conscious effort to reduce my liberal application of pop and crackle.

what do you suggest? stick to my favoured PP style or cut back?

Most Viewed