Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:18   #1
BHPian

Most loved function in your phone

Hi Friends,

Everyone of you have a mobile phone like your sixth finger andd I am sure, based on the threads available here, many people here belong to the smart phone society. Though someone still be happy with their 1100s 1101s etc. My point here is that your phoen might have lots of functions features and apps (either you installed it or came pre installed). You may love the phone for its aboslutely cool interface or blazing fast internet connectivity.

But there will be one function / application / feature (small or big) that you really admire as it is really satisfies you. Please pour in that one functionality for every one to share.

I will start with mine. I have a Nokia E63 (my first phone with camera. See i am one othose guys who happens to be happy with 1100s) I pondered for a long time before buying one as the places I work and most of the places I visit ban camera cell phones.

The feature i love most in my phone (Though it may feel silly) is its "Torch Light Functionality". It may seem silly but note that this is not available in its elder sibling E71.
You guys may say that any phone with flash can be turned on into a torch using some app. But the prime advantage with this is that
1. You can switch on the torch without unlocking the keypad, provided the atmosphere is dark. Meaning during nights, inside cars at night you can turn the torch on just by holding the space key continuously. If you leave the key it switches off automatically. This feature came in handy as i have to work under vehicle most of the time and there wont be lights under vehicle. One point is that under broad daylight this torch will not come ON. Amazing.. But this feature made me a fool infront of my friends as the torch refused to come ON in daylight. I was trying to prove them otherwise.
2. Unlock the keypad and now press the space key for few seconds, the torch comes On. Now release spqace the torch stays ON. Leave it for your keypad to get locked automatically. Now the torch stays On. You can work anywhere without worrying about the need for light. Now all you need is to press the sapce key again for few seconds the torch goes OFF. No need to unlock the keypad.
barathvajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 18:02   #2
BHPian

Re: Most loved function in your phone

Has to be the indicator LED
Old 23rd April 2011, 18:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Two features :

1) I can talk ( and that is main functionality of mobile phone ).
2) 5 MP camera.

BTW, I have nokia X2.

My first mobile was Motorola L6. One of the best I have ever used.
What I loved:
1) excellent speech quality
2) even when not in t9 mode, when I am typing something lets say animation, as soon as I have finished anim, ation will appear in faint. I just have to press next key and the entire word is there. Very convenient and very useful feature.
3) multiple alarm faclity. Absent in Nokia 3110c and X2.

After L6, I had Nokia 3110c.
nothing much to write home about except the large keys which are practical.
Old 23rd April 2011, 18:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

On every phone I buy, the first thing I look for is the pre-installed games very useful when your flight is late and you must kill time at the airport

Other than that the "feature" is call quality and signal reception (I mostly use my phone as a phone). Now people will say this is not a feature - but precisely for that reason in the smartphone design world companies (including Apple) get away with doing the bare minimum. Nokia is an exception and Samsung is a close second.
Old 23rd April 2011, 19:39   #5
BHPian

I used a Nokia 5230 till a month back and it was an awesome phone.
The camera was 2MP but the quality was wayyy better than my Blackberry Curve's 2mp camera. Music quality was good while using earphones but the loudspeaker wasn't too loud
Also, since it was a symbian OS therefore a lot of games and other fun apps were available. I also liked the multi-tasking feature. The phone didn't look too good though.

My current phone is a Blackberry Curve 8520 and I like its looks, BBM, Some useful apps are also available(though not as much as Symbian or Android). The music quality is also quite good compared to my 5230. And ya I also love the different colored LED notifications for different alerts. Like Red-incoming call, sms, mail, FB notification, etc. Yellow-for low battery. Blue-while getting a new message on Facebook Chat. There is also an app by which we can set our own colored LED alerts and many many colors for the LED are available using that app. The application is called MegaKnight(can be downloaded on BB Appworld).
Old 23rd April 2011, 20:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mute function ! Allows me to be on calls when away from my desk and yet catch up on other things.

The other big one is the camera. But then I typically chose a camera that can make calls. a.k.a SE Cybershot's

Also use the blue-tooth a lot. Both for the hands-free, and to send SMS's from my laptop, instead of having to key it in from the phone itself.

Cant say which one I love most .. But the camera is a nose-length ahead.
Old 23rd April 2011, 20:37   #7
BHPian

Swype on my Samsung Galaxy S! A few months back, when I had to upgrade my phone, I had doubts to buy one without a physical keypad and was about to buy droid...

I am so used to swype that I instinctively sometimes try to do it on my laptop keyboards as well
Old 23rd April 2011, 20:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

@condor

where did you get your tagline "life is analog ..."? I love it (I'm an analog designer)
Old 23rd April 2011, 20:52   #9
BHPian

Definitely the voice notes function for me. I typically have about 10 to 15 voice memos each morning, taken after wrapping up at work the previous evening.

The mind hardly has time for free thoughts during a work day.

If a phone does not have a facility for voice notes, I won't buy it
Old 23rd April 2011, 20:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Camera of the N95 for me. Its still super after 3+ years. Of course, I am discounting the primary function which is telephone itself !
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:42   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
where did you get your tagline "life is analog ..."? I love it (I'm an analog designer)
@vina, thank you!

.. I created it !

Old 23rd April 2011, 22:11   #12
BHPian

The best feature I love on my phone is the power button!! The silence is so beautiful

Apart from that I like the Swype function on my Samsung Galaxy. I have noticed that not many people like it, but I am sure you will get hooked once you have the hang of it.
Old 23rd April 2011, 22:14   #13
Team-BHP Support

Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Got introduced to it on my earlier Kyocera 7135. Continue using my current Asus P527 for almost all my reading.
My next phone would ideally be a 5" screen for a better reading experience.

Satguide: Gps Navigation Software.
Love it when driving on the highways. Use it a lot when going to unknown destinations within the city as well.

MS Excel
My wife usually emails me the shopping list. I copy it to my phone or create an excel sheet while taking orders on my phone.
Use the C button to clear contents of the cell as I pick up the stuff from the supermarket counters.
Big advantage. My wife cannot say, I asked you to get this and you forgot. I have the shopping log, you see.

Opera Browser
Lets me browse my favorite site, Team-bhp and also check my email. Love the multiple tabs.

Last edited by bblost : 23rd April 2011 at 22:20.
Old 23rd April 2011, 22:25   #14
dot
Senior - BHPian

Nokia OVI Music. It has changed my lifestyle. I have an X6.

But my next phone will be a simple phone.
Old 23rd April 2011, 23:26   #15
BHPian

I am currently using Nokia 5800 XM. The function I use the most is the Camera for taking pics as well as video recording. The 3.2 megapixel camera though not the best but quite good enough for taking normal day photos. The dedicated camera key is the funciton I like the most as it is the most useful. One push and the camera starts. It saves a lot of time when one has to take some photos.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks