Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

CD's going bad, just lying in the car

Now a days having music in car is a very basic thing. Many cars comes loaded with factory fitted Music system. Thank god that we dont have cassettes now which used to stuck in the player now and then. All music systems comes with CD / MP3 players now.

I have observed that, many times my CD's are going bad after using it sometimes. It sounds weird and gets stuck in between playing songs. I am using both original & some home burned CD's. Mainly MP3.

Is it happening due to heat? My car is always parked in open space as i dont have covered parking. Or is it happening due to keeping CD in the player while car is standing? Any clue? I lost few of my favorite CD's due to this. I generally keep all CD's in the glove box when car is parked. Should i start keeping CD's under seat where its comparatively less heat? Please help
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: CD's going bad, just lying in the car

I use a cover thats attached to sunvisor, it can store more than 15 cds. That should certainly help. Only 800 used to have this issue of over heated interiors because the quality of plastics used to be bad and cassettes and cds used to go kaput. Apart from this buy a cd case and store more cds in it.

Lately, I have started to use more of aux and usb. If its not available, you may get a radio frequency thing that can be used to connect phone or ipad or ipod to radio frequency and play songs.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 2nd May 2011 at 15:51.
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:58   #3
dot
Senior - BHPian

Due to sun's radiation, cabin temperature near the dashboard can shoot upto 70C when a car is parked under the sun. Even though CDs are made out of polycarbonate whose softening temperature is around 150C, weathering at 70C will cause detoriation of the material. This will occur more for cheaper CDs.

You can avoid storing CDs in the glove box.

I am not sure if temperature under the seat is lower. Perhaps it is. In that case it maybe a better place to store.
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I use a cover thats attached to sunvisor, it can store more than 15 cds. That should certainly help. Only 800 used to have this issue of over heated interiors because the quality of plastics used to be bad and cassettes and cds used to go kaput. Apart from this buy a cd case and store more cds in it.

Lately, I have started to use more of aux and usb. If its not available, you may get a radio frequency thing that can be used to connect phone or ipad or ipod to radio frequency and play songs.
I also have CD folder, still issue is coming. As you mentioned, i also tried one cover which is attached to sun visor, but in my DZire its not fitting :( Its too wide for it. Other options you mentioned are useful, but i prefer mainly CDs only. I dont have i-pod etc with me, dont intend to buy one also in near future as i dont like music in my ears
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:08   #5
BHPian

I agree to Gaurav and DOT.

There is also additional reason for the damage:
a. dust (I love to drive with windows down most of the time)
b. handling (Have seen lot of people wipe the disc to their shirt/t-shirt before/after use)

Most branded CD's will last better than the cheaper alternatives which we tend to use for burning the MP3. First hand experience due to my IT background

So far MoserBaer have lasted quite well. Add to it my 6 year old Indica is a furnace if parked in the open/sun.
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sony cds are far more durable than any other cd I have used including Moserbear, writex, samsung etc. In between, I use my sun glasses cleaning cloth to wipe cds if and when I need to.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 2nd May 2011 at 16:46.
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Even I have faced this thing in my cars and wondered why so. Heat is of course the main culprit.

But the other reason that I have observed is that shake of the car, I tried using the same CDs in my home player. They ran properly.
The issue is this, the CDs which are run over and over again in a shaking car (I know there are holders holding a disk) can play a havoc in the CDs content quality.

Thus even if you manage to keep the same in cool places in the car, there is something you cant avoid the shake of the car which plays a good effect in bad quality of CD.
To prove this point, run the same CD in your home MP3 audio player you will realize it runs well.
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:17   #8
BANNED

What about the situation when you put a new CD in the player? Do the songs in it also get stuck or does it behave normally?

If a new CD also has this problem, then the problem is not with the CDs but with the music player's lens.
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:31   #9
Team-BHP Support

I have had a few CDs go bad when kept in the car; they had small de-colouration on some sectors.

It is mostly heat that damages them.

You could keep your CDs in a CD pouch and keep it in the pockets of the front seat. That's what I do; keeps my glove-compartment uncluttered.
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:31   #10
BHPian

Right, when CDs are properly stored then the culprit could be the player itself. check for the lens/head of the player. Also chances are there for fine dust settled inside the player causing issues.
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:43   #11
BHPian

Invest in a good CD case so as to protect the CD's from heat and all other elements. Your problem should be sorted.
I have used the sunvisor flap cover and its not as effective as a proper CD case made of insulated material.
Also, it will be a good idea to get your head unit checked for any damage or dust which might be ruining your CD's.
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Checkout what Chennai heat did to a CD cover left in my car under the sun - and we are not yet in peak summer. Possibly the heat affects the data stored on CDs too, though the CD does not get out of shape.
CD's going bad, just lying in the car-dsc02880.jpg

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 2nd May 2011 at 18:03.
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:09   #13
BHPian

Also there is this problem, when 2 or more CD's/DVD's are kept together in one packet they rub against each other due to the vibrations of the car and the surface is scratched. They should ideally be kept in seperate pouch with a thin foam / sponge covering the reading surface. But even this does not help if you keep them for long.
In any case the cd technology is outdated and I think soon we will have only the usb and FM radio in our car sets.
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all for the replies guys

I am generally using good quality CD's only. My player is also in good shape as new CD's work extremely well. Problem is with some somewhat old CD's which are hardly used but in the car for quite some time. I have good CD folder too.

I can try keeping folder in driver side pocket. But will it really help? I guess temperature there will be almost same as in dashboard.
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:34   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I can try keeping folder in driver side pocket. But will it really help? I guess temperature there will be almost same as in dashboard.
Of course, keeping the CD cover in the driver side pocket will protect it from heat.

Temp. in the dashboard increases much more because the dash (plastic) heats up.

A driver side-pocket has very less chance of being directly exposed to sunlight so shouldn't be a problem for CDs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks