Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 13:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Korean Electronics Giant Samsung to end Nokia's 14 Year smartphone reign

Hi Guys,

I hear everyone bashing Nokia here? Why?

Have you compared the specs of the phones like E7 and Iphone,Galaxy. How many features do you really use in your smartphone? Do you look only at UI?

While I totally agree that iPhone has a butter smooth UI (cluttered screen) and Android UI is smooth as well but is that all you look for in a smartphone?

iPhone, Samsung markets it's products well that's one more plus compared to Nokia marketing team

I have used iphone as two of my colleagues have it. What do they use it for? One guy doesn't even have a 3G connection to enjoy features instead using 2G GPRS for mails, the other is loving the mails,angry birds game on it. Is that it ? and we are talking about Technology Guys.

My question is how many guys here have used the SMART Phone as it should be?

1. Office (Word, Excel, PPT)
2. Adobe PDF
3. Mobile TV
4. Camera/Video
5. Office Mails
6. Personal mails
7. Chat (Skype, Nimbuzz)
8. Office VPN
9. Using phone as a wireless Webcam/mouse
10. Using Video Calls
11. GPS
12. Movies/Music
13. Railway/Flight/Bus Ticket Booking
14. Printer service
15. FM Tramsnitter
16. USB on the GO
17. Unlimited Music (free)

Let me know if I forget some features here..The fact is most of them use basic features and only use the so called SMART features sometimes, but like to own the 'SMART phone'.

If you just go by what you read on the internet then it's futile to explain how good the Nokia smart phones are compared to the competition out there. Yes, they need a overhaul but which company and it's products doesn't.

The question is will Apple or Samsung hang on to being the leaders in this segment (If they will rise to that level) for a 14 years + in a row?

Remember that most of these were there 6-7 years back in Nokia whereas now Apple, BB and Google advertises as some great achievement.

Last edited by inder_s1 : 15th June 2011 at 13:16.
inder_s1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 18:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
I hear everyone bashing Nokia here? Why?
Because their CEO only said, "Platform is burning, jump out of it". I could not understand strategy of Nokia during hard competition era. Yes, they were ruling when no other major players in market. Only Motorola was there second to Nokia. They lost due to their weak strategy. A bad leader can turn good business into bad in no time.

Meanwhile, Samsung did not capitalize on Nokia's weakness but developed its strength for sustaining in market in long run. This is what paying them off now and enjoying #1 spot in near future.

Lots of talk going on WM7 mobile being produced by Nokia. I would say it will look like alien mobile when produced from Nokia label. They are not used to it, I could not see success for them when they entirely depend only upon WM7.

It is also matter of debate how long Apple can carry its legacy with Steve Jobs. I would say in next 5 years things will be changed dramatically for Apple. Steve Jobs is successful only for IPod and IPhone, his old product Mac still not successful product in entire world.

Last edited by anujmishra : 15th June 2011 at 18:31.
Old 15th June 2011, 18:44   #18
BHPian

Isn't that natural order of things - no one can always be in the top spot?
I guess the ONLY issue with Nokia was not acting the part of leader. You change the market or the market changes you.

I see that happening to RIM now. Their 2 main positives, IMO, are tactile keyboard and messenger. I'm not including security as Android and iOS are already on it - not at BB level but getting there.

With iMessage coming through I doubt if BB can hold on to the corporate market.
Old 15th June 2011, 19:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Because their CEO only said, "Platform is burning, jump out of it". I could not understand strategy of Nokia during hard competition era. Yes, they were ruling when no other major players in market. Only Motorola was there second to Nokia. They lost due to their weak strategy. A bad leader can turn good business into bad in no time.

Meanwhile, Samsung did not capitalize on Nokia's weakness but developed its strength for sustaining in market in long run. This is what paying them off now and enjoying #1 spot in near future.

Lots of talk going on WM7 mobile being produced by Nokia. I would say it will look like alien mobile when produced from Nokia label. They are not used to it, I could not see success for them when they entirely depend only upon WM7.

It is also matter of debate how long Apple can carry its legacy with Steve Jobs. I would say in next 5 years things will be changed dramatically for Apple. Steve Jobs is successful only for IPod and IPhone, his old product Mac still not successful product in entire world.
Ok. I get it. Lots of people are fans of Nokia and since Apple and Google portray as they are getting into the race and succeeding, it has hurt sentiments of the fans

Last edited by inder_s1 : 15th June 2011 at 19:12.
Old 15th June 2011, 21:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok. I get it. Lots of people are fans of Nokia...
Sorry, I'm not Nokia fan nor used their phone in lifetime. I am Samsung fan for obvious reasons.
Old 15th June 2011, 22:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Oh Come on!
Nokia aint going down that easy. Android is what i feel will have trouble in the medium to long term. Firstly it is becoming too common.
Secondly : no support from the app developers because of the apparent adoption of open source approach even in the market place.
Market place apps can be easily cracked and is available for download.

Thirdly: the so called fancy UI and functionality will be matched by win7 devices in the future or even meego if still adopted by nokia.

The so called android hype will die in the future with more and more manufacturers taking the android route(ala micromax).

iphone with its closed environment will thoroughly flourish although.
Old 16th June 2011, 01:10   #22
BHPian

BTW, Has anyone seen Nokia N9 Teaser video ?

I downloaded it and will probably be something to look forward to. It's a Meego device.
Old 16th June 2011, 05:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas
Oh Come on!
Nokia aint going down that easy. Android is what i feel will have trouble in the medium to long term. Firstly it is becoming too common.
And how this (being common) a problem? Too many hardware vendors using it, too many versions, lack of exclusivity? Sorry, don't mean to flame you but I don't get it. Please do explain.
Old 16th June 2011, 09:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, Has anyone seen Nokia N9 Teaser video ?

I downloaded it and will probably be something to look forward to. It's a Meego device.
These are few last devices that Nokia is producing. They really do not have any future plan (in Meego or other Nokia platform). Some phones will come till 1H of 2012 after that nothing.

Job market is flooded with Nokia engineer's resume as more and more employee resigning and looking for other opportunity.
Old 16th June 2011, 10:51   #25
BHPian

My heart goes out to them. Paying for ex CEO's deeds.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
These are few last devices that Nokia is producing. They really do not have any future plan (in Meego or other Nokia platform). Some phones will come till 1H of 2012 after that nothing.

Job market is flooded with Nokia engineer's resume as more and more employee resigning and looking for other opportunity.
Well, does it matter whether they are going to stop after 2012. My E90 is working perfectly for past 5 yrs without visiting a service center and so will N8 and E7.

It does everything and more that the other phones are doing now. So I don't care whether the support no longer exists. For geeks and Gadget Gurus, these phones are the best . Be it overclocking a N900 to 1GHz or making it a dual boot etc..

Rest it's up to them to move to any other brand because they go by reviews & marketing and not by their own knowledge.
Old 16th June 2011, 12:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For geeks and Gadget Gurus, these phones are the best . Be it overclocking a N900 to 1GHz or making it a dual boot etc..
Absolutely

Quote:
Rest it's up to them to move to any other brand because they go by reviews & marketing and not by their own knowledge.
First of all let me admit that I'm a Nokia fan and still holding a Nokia phone in my hand, but IMO they lost smartphone battle long back.

Forget about OS, when everyone is moving north of 1GHz and dual core etc, Nokia is still trying to run the show with its below 700MHz CPU's!! To my requirement I may ignore Android and choose Symbian but I cannot ignore the hardware specs I get if I choose Samsung/HTC over Nokia and that too for substantially lesser price.

I really hope Nokia to bounce back and give us a better H/W specs at better price.
Old 30th July 2011, 11:04   #28
BHPian

So it's Apple and Samsung who have landed the blows.

Here is the news link.

Apple ends Nokia's 15-yr smartphone reign - The Times of India

"Apple and Samsung Electronics ended struggling Nokia's 15-year reign at the top of the smartphone sales rankings in the second quarter, researchers said on Friday.

Nokia has dominated the smartphone market ever since its 1996 launch of the Communicator model, but competition from its two nearest rivals and a slump in its own sales sent it straight from first to third place in the three months to June as growth in the sector starts to slow.

Apple sold a record 20.3 million iPhones in the quarter despite the fact that its iPhone 4 is now more than a year old. Usually success of smartphone models does not last so long.

Apple unveiled its sales last week, but on Friday analysts also estimated Samsung sold 19 million smartphones in the quarter, well ahead of Nokia's 16.7 million as it was able to benefit from booming demand with smartphones using Google's Android software. "Samsung's Galaxy portfolio has proven popular, especially the high-tier S2 Android model," said Neil Mawston, analyst at Strategy Analytics."
Old 30th July 2011, 12:38   #29
BHPian

Even I read about it. Apple and Samsung have really given a big blow to Nokia. I think Apple is the one who started the Smartphone revolution. I know smartphones existed before iphone but them Smartphones were popularised by Iphone. Samsung too has followed the trend and is enjoying tremendous success. Reports are there of Apple launching Iphone 5 next quarter. Ofcourse it is bound to be a huge success. Samsung is also going to be aggressive. Point is What is nokia doing? Let us hope Meego changes Nokia's fortune. Competition is good for consumers.

Most Viewed