Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 12:15   #1
BHPian

Korean Electronics Giant Samsung to end Nokia's 14 Year smartphone reign

Came across an article in economic times

Samsung to end 14 year Nokia smartphone reign: Nomura - The Economic Times

From the link..
"
Samsung Electronics Co Ltd will become the world's largest smartphone maker this quarter, overtaking struggling Nokia Oyj which has lead the market since 1996, Nomura said on Monday.

In the next quarter Nomura also sees also Apple Inc overtaking Nokia, pushing the Finnish company to No. 3 in the rankings. "

Looks like the Koreans are a force to reckon this decade. They have been very successful in India in all products beating the Best in the business be it the Japs, Germans, Europeans and the Americans.

Looks like they almost know the pulse of the people and their aspirations all across the world and surging ahead.

Does anyone see Nokia resurrection to counter this. I have my doubts.
Old 14th June 2011, 13:32   #2
BANNED

Re: Korean Electronics Giant Samsung to end Nokia's 14 Year smartphone reign

I also saw this news. Even though Nokia lost the battle in smartphone, it is still number one in overall handset market share. It will still take a lot of time to dethrone Nokia from number one spot.
Old 14th June 2011, 14:38   #3
BHPian

by Not having Android on the cards still, When everybody asking for it, they still want to push their Symbian os, no dout they will go beyond 3rd. If you donot catch up with the developing markets and customer it is very clear that you will lag behind.
Old 14th June 2011, 15:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Recently i bought Samsung Galaxy S after having used Nokia all my working life and egerly waited for N8. All i can say "Nokia - Wake up". The UI experience was primitive to say the least.
Old 14th June 2011, 15:30   #5
BHPian

Samsung have been very aggressive with the prices , features, having phones across many mobile operating systems, new technology etc for the last few years and continuing to improve and give more value for money against the competition.

The Galaxy S has been a best seller and the new Galaxy S2 will cement its popularity and drive sales of other models of Android.

Last edited by muni : 14th June 2011 at 15:32.
Old 14th June 2011, 15:51   #6
BHPian

There was IDC report about few days ago that the Microsoft Windows Mobile Phones will take the second spot in smartphone league by 2015 and they had predicted this would happen due to their alliance with Nokia. So Nokia has very good chances to bounce back, but its just that they need to launch their new portfolio real quick.
Old 14th June 2011, 15:52   #7
BHPian

I'm not surprised; better late than never!
Nokia refused to adapt to the market changes (now, a smartphone is not just BB - Android & iOS joined the fray)
Also, I don't see their WP7 going anywhere near iOS/Android.

Whereas Samsung made some great phones (Galaxy series rocks!) for unbelievable prices and their phones are sheer VFM.

Having said that, Nokia wins hands down in the low-price segments.

Last edited by hdnivara : 14th June 2011 at 15:53. Reason: Typo
Old 14th June 2011, 16:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara View Post
Having said that, Nokia wins hands down in the low-price segments.
Not really. Brands like Karbonn, Maxx, ion and other new entrants already ate that pie.
Old 14th June 2011, 17:21   #9
BHPian

Nokia had to pay for their inability to adapt to changes and most importantly they are no longer innovative.
In early 2000, they were the most innovative mobile manufacturer. They mass marketed the Mobile Camera, then came up with the innovative 6600, then came the N95 and after that it was a full stop. They couldn't come up with anything innovative after N95. All their later models were just a copy of features from other manufacturers like Musicphones of SE. They also lost to Samsung/SE in Camera megapixel race, Lost to HTC,O2 in processor MHz, and now to IOS/Android on the UI.

What is happening to their R&D team? Are they running out of ideas?
Old 14th June 2011, 17:43   #10
BHPian

Ah! Nokia bashing.
Well, what can one say. No major UI upgrade, dropping the ball on NGage, pathetic hardware refresh, pathetic dev tools. But what battery life.
Hopefully, WinMo will give them life blood.
I've a lot of respect for Nokia and wish them well. Sigh!

EDIT: A recent BusinessWeek article on Nokia is a pretty good read. Check it out.

Last edited by rtandon : 14th June 2011 at 17:57.
Old 14th June 2011, 18:00   #11
BHPian

Nokia had a good chance of resurrecting itself by going with Android. Instead they chose Windozzze..
Nokia seems to be like Honda. But Honda, finally has woken up from its deep slumber
Old 14th June 2011, 18:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212
Nokia had a good chance of resurrecting itself by going with Android. Instead they chose Windozzze..
Something along the lines of beggars, borrowers, choosers, etc. IAC, I think MS & Nokia will have a symbiotic relationship. MS is not a hardware company (and they killed Courier), they need a hardware vendor. Nokia needs a new OS, Google acted tough, iOS is impossible; So, WinMo it is.
Old 14th June 2011, 19:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

There was a time when Nokia had the top spec'd phone in the market - 6600, 9500, N95, E90 and symbian was doing good too. Now they are running short on all grounds.

They should have upgraded to android along with other players and now, it seems it has hit them hard. And they are still not ready to accept it!
Old 15th June 2011, 11:28   #14
BHPian

Nokia is basically paying the price for not listening to its consumers. Perhaps they were too caught up in their arrogance as the dominant player, perhaps they sincerely believed that they could enhance Symbian to successfully compete with other platforms. If you analyze it critically, Symbian does require fewer resources to run than competing platforms. Might actually prove to be a cheap smartphone platform later on!

But I do have a lot of hope for the Nokia-Windows alliance. Why? Because of the sheer possibility of integration on a large scale. Do remember that Windows is still the dominant player in the OS with an absurdly large market share of about 89%! Now imagine the endless possibilities that would offer. And Nokia brings Voice guided SatNav and the app store to the table. Something that Google has rolled out only on a limited basis. We are not looking only at platforms anymore. And that is why the Nokia deal makes sense. If you read Stephen Elop's interview after the deal, he makes perfect sense when he says that with WP7, Nokia would be able to build an entire ecosystem and differentiate their products, as compared to adopting an Android platform, they would be still competing with the SuperAMOLEDs and the NOVA displays.

For a lifelong Nokia fan like me, Nokia is down alright, but no need to throw in the towel just yet!
Old 15th June 2011, 12:25   #15
BHPian

I agree.though i AM an android fan,i would hate it if that was the only option available to me.

Competition is good

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks