Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2014, 11:56   #136
BHPian

Re: Airtel 3G Billing Fraud

Did you at any time take a corporate plan? (i.e you submitted your Company ID card to take a plan which offers better discounts) If yes then in all probability they have tagged your number as corporate connection and hence the portability is rejected saying contractual obligation. Check with Call center for the exact reason by giving your portability code(doubtful if they would be of any help) or another way probably is to change your plan to a normal one and then try portout.
Old 10th January 2014, 22:56   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I'll follow it up nicely else i'll port out and definitely complain to TRAI and consumer court. Wonder how they think they can get away with such blatant cheating!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I am not averse to going via legal route. But I would like to hear how other members resolved their case. Is there anything else I can try?

PS: I wish I had prepaid, where airtel internet fraud would be limited to balance amount .
Guys please update regarding the status of your complaints. It will help us all to understand how to proceed in such situations.
Old 11th January 2014, 00:23   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Guys please update regarding the status of your complaints. It will help us all to understand how to proceed in such situations.
Nothing like a few sustained complaints in twitter. They call up, apologise, and even if the alert smses come the bill comes fine!
Old 14th January 2014, 22:24   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No luck so far. My complaint made rounds in airtel presence, customer care, nodal officer, appellate, legal, retention teams within airtel. Tried pgportal too. From all these sources, the complaint gets forwarded to cc and their response is,
1) They don't have privilege to provide logs.
2) They don't store logs (like any other provider).
3) They trust their billing system, and so the bill is correct.
Hence it is back to square one. The best they offered was Rs 2500 off the bill. But still I had to pay Rs 6000. Hence rejected the offer. My number was blocked, they couldn't reach me on my alternate number. I was travelling and that didn't help either.

I have used airtel grievance redressal before and it works well for wrong application of billing plan.

I have sought help of http://core.nic.in/ and have registred a complaint. Somebody from airtel called me said the same 3 things above, but assured me they will again get someone from billing team to look into this.

Meanwhile, I got a new pre-paid connection & have moved on. But still I will pursue and get the charges cancelled.

PS: Airtel 3G plans have bill shield option. But none of 2G plans have it. Its good idea to have this option enabled.

Last edited by msdivy : 14th January 2014 at 22:28.
Old 30th January 2014, 10:48   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I have sought help of http://core.nic.in/ and have registred a complaint. Somebody from airtel called me said the same 3 things above, but assured me they will again get someone from billing team to look into this.
Today. I got call from airtel & later email confirmation that the entire data usage charge (download of 950MB in 8 hours, charged at Rs 8500) is reversed. Glad that it finally got resolved, reinforced faith in the grievance redressal system.

Last edited by msdivy : 30th January 2014 at 10:49.
Old 18th September 2015, 08:27   #141
BHPian

Went to bed last night with 1.75 GB 3G balance. Got up in the morning with a usage warning stating I have used 90% of the 3GB limit. My balance showed 87 MB!

Called up customer care and got answers like consumption due to usage in night. After being escalated to supervisor the only answer I got was in the night at 2 am 220 MB was used x times but due to my privacy they can't reveal the website where the data was consumed!

What should I do now? Will a mail to them help at all? Anyway to get clarity where the 1.7 GB got utilised?Mine is a prepaid number.

My auto update of app etc was disabled and I am sure I did not use the data consumed as I went to sleep at 11 pm and got up at 7 am.

I wouldn't want this to happen again hence would like clarity.

Thanks

Last edited by rajinibm : 18th September 2015 at 08:29. Reason: typo
Old 18th September 2015, 09:08   #142
BHPian

Pls check in your device settings for data usage details. It is possible to check application wise data usage in both android and IOS devices. You may see some abnormally high data usage from one of the apps. This happened to me once and I had to turn off auto update/background data usage for all apps.
Old 18th September 2015, 11:14   #143
BHPian

Would it not be prudent to turn off mobile data when you don't need it? Especially at night?
Old 23rd October 2015, 19:53   #144
BHPian

Reading posts on this thread, I think I did a big mistake of shifting from prepaid to postpaid (Airtel's myPlan, CUG), without having any genuine benefits. We use Vodafone 3G for internet and BSNL landline, for calling. So a postpaid mobile does not really make sense. Yet I managed to shift myself, sister and mother from prepaid to postpaid.

The only advantage of this plan for the 3 of us is the (conditionally) free 1000 minutes of voice calls we get among the three of us. Now to avoid possible billing headaches, can I completely shut internet on our phones from Airtel itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Would it not be prudent to turn off mobile data when you don't need it? Especially at night?
I do that from the time I'm using mobile data!
Old 23rd October 2015, 20:52   #145
BHPian

I have this problem this month where I was asked to pay extra for my 3G Charges, when I clearly did not even get a 80% or a 90% data consumed message. All I did was call them up as ask them to prove when did you send the message. All the 500 that was billed to be was dropped.
Guys, if you are sure you are not wrong, Airtel will correct them. Make sure you press them hard enough.
Old 10th January 2016, 15:41   #146
BHPian

Airtel again!!

If there is a part misrepresented in the Bill even after I have told them its a error can I take any legal recourse?

Basically there is some part to the bill which I deem is willfully fraudulent
Old 10th January 2016, 20:45   #147
Senior - BHPian

I have started using the Airtel app. A lot more transparency. They seem to have many of the bugs that were present earlier.
Old 10th January 2016, 21:59   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinibm View Post
Went to bed last night with 1.75 GB 3G balance. Got up in the morning with a usage warning stating I have used 90% of the 3GB limit. My balance showed 87 MB!
With the apps we install there is no guarantee that it is really Airtel's fault or not. What I suggest is to enable the meter on your phone. For example on Android's you can enable metering and also tell the billing cycle. What I have observed is that airtel's billing and the phone's metering seems quite close and accurate. Once you have this it may be easier to counter Airtel's theory as well as get real clarity if there is something wrong with Airtel.
Old 20th November 2018, 10:36   #149
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm seeing charges in my Airtel bills for "1860" numbers, always thought these are toll free. When I called up customer care, they mentioned that these are "Voice Special numbers" and will be charged for usage.

Is this same across all telecom providers (do they charge for calls to 1860 numbers ?) or is this a new billing scam by Airtel ?
Old 20th November 2018, 10:40   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I'm seeing charges in my Airtel bills for "1860" numbers, always thought these are toll free. When I called up customer care, they mentioned that these are "Voice Special numbers" and will be charged for usage.

Is this same across all telecom providers (do they charge for calls to 1860 numbers ?) or is this a new billing scam by Airtel ?
Many companies are now discreetly, and without informing customers. moving to paid customer care lines and not the usual toll-free lines. 1860 is indeed a "charged" line, not toll-free.

Most Viewed