Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2015, 17:24   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is Airtel Nationalised?

As simple as that.

All it takes is one good resource who has a complete view of the issue. Enjoy your 4G connection, though 5mbps is 3G territory, not anywhere near 4G.
Old 7th June 2015, 18:38   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
As simple as that.

All it takes is one good resource who has a complete view of the issue. Enjoy your 4G connection, though 5mbps is 3G territory, not anywhere near 4G.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I really do not have confidence in their technical/operations team, to figure out if its a tech issue or an operational one
Many a times we get stonewalled either with the BPO guys or someone who is a marketing guy with no tech/operational knowledge.

Very true, 5Mbps is 3G territory, but it atleast reflects 4G technology.

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 7th June 2015 at 18:39.
Old 9th June 2015, 19:04   #183
Senior - BHPian

Another controversy for Airtel :

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analy...st-270176.html
Old 9th June 2015, 19:12   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Javascript injection is common practice for tracking users. In fact on some sites, scripts size is more than the content ! Surprised that the Israeli company issued notice to an Indian citizen for looking into the source code, which is out there in plain text.

PS: Disconnect is a Chrome extension for preventing tracking - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...kheieifhpjdfeo

Last edited by msdivy : 9th June 2015 at 19:14.
Old 9th June 2015, 19:50   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Javascript injection is common practice for tracking users. In fact on some sites, scripts size is more than the content ! Surprised that the Israeli company issued notice to an Indian citizen for looking into the source code, which is out there in plain text.

PS: Disconnect is a Chrome extension for preventing tracking - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...kheieifhpjdfeo
There are privacy concerns with tracking.

What kind of tracking is used ( eg data usage , sites visited ? ), what's done with this information, is this being done with explicit user consent ... etc.
Old 9th June 2015, 20:02   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
There are privacy concerns with tracking.
Airtel is not alone in tracking. 99.99% of sites on internet track users. Probably only in Europe they ask for consent. Primary reason for tracking is analytics, an attempt to show relevant ads, based on your online behavior.
Old 11th June 2015, 11:03   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Airtel is not alone in tracking. 99.99% of sites on internet track users. Probably only in Europe they ask for consent. Primary reason for tracking is analytics, an attempt to show relevant ads, based on your online behavior.
Its the way its done. Injecting a script which Airtel and MTNL do is very dangerous and opens you up to various attacks.
Old 11th June 2015, 14:20   #188
BANNED

Now spectrum sharing is on the cards. If this happens it will be brilliant.

It was good to see the Telecom Minister come out with the need for more BTS to reduce call dropping.
Old 7th October 2016, 16:17   #189
Team-BHP Support

Stupid Airtel does it again, i was paying 1200 INR per month for minimal usage and was about to disconnect the connection. Retention team called up and offered a good deal for about 450 and i agree to continue. Was on Wifi most of the time and i did not realize that the jokers have made my 4G connection a 3G one now!!

Have made 2 calls, responded to social media pages and emailed them to resolve the same.

Still on 3G! I am travelling and 4G would have helped.

I think once i get back i need to actively look at a new service provider.
Old 7th October 2016, 16:37   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Stupid Airtel does it again, i was paying 1200 INR per month for minimal usage and was about to disconnect the connection. Retention team called up and offered a good deal for about 450 and i agree to continue. Was on Wifi most of the time and i did not realize that the jokers have made my 4G connection a 3G one now!!

Have made 2 calls, responded to social media pages and emailed them to resolve the same.

Still on 3G! I am travelling and 4G would have helped.

I think once i get back i need to actively look at a new service provider.
Why not send a disconnection request again? And now when they call back, ask for this 3g to 4g conversion.
Old 7th October 2016, 16:55   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Why not send a disconnection request again? And now when they call back, ask for this 3g to 4g conversion.
I did that also, no response after that. It's been 2 calls, 1 email and 1 SMS for disconnection. They just don't care.

EDIT: As i posted from the social media team someone called, so for the 3rd time i have explained and hopefully they will do something about it.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th October 2016 at 16:58.
Old 11th October 2016, 11:30   #192
Team-BHP Support

Phew! this was a long fiasco and got resolved after constant noise created on social media. Social media team is super responsive and got in touch with me multiple times on 7th and 8th, but alas the same can't be said about tech / call center folks.

8th evening i finally receive a call and was informed that they are putting a request and i should wait for 24 hours. I had no other choice but agree since i was on road travelling.

9th evening again after some social media noise, get a call saying if they make the plan change more than 1 time a month, i will loose all the free data (old plan 1.5 GB and new 4 GB). I politely asked the lady how is Airtel's fault my issue? She again asked for time to check back and get back. I even told her i am ok if they give back the 1.5 gb remaining from old plan for the current month. Meanwhile I was fed up and in my mind it was port out as soon as i get back to bangalore. Social media team sends a message saying issue is resolved at midnight, and i clarified that it was not!

10th while driving back to bangalore, i finally see 4G popping up! Irony was i wanted 4G access when i was travelling and not at the end of it. Anyways it is sorted for now and i am back on 4G.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th October 2016 at 11:32.
Old 11th October 2016, 12:09   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree with tracking the content but Airtel is saying its required for data consumption ! Why are they assuming everyone is stupid ?

They should come clean with the kind of tracking and bumps they create in the data connection that they use. Its use might be a necessity owing to security and functional uses but it needs to be made transparent.
Old 11th October 2016, 12:23   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
10th while driving back to bangalore, i finally see 4G popping up! ...
Could it be that you had 3G while roaming and your 4G popped back up when you hit home network, i.e. Karnataka circle?

Just wondering, cuz I have a kerala trip coming up in a week's time and if no 4G on Airtel while roaming, I would have to look at alternatives.
Old 11th October 2016, 13:41   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Could it be that you had 3G while roaming and your 4G popped back up when you hit home network, i.e. Karnataka circle?
No i have visited these places before and i was having 4G reception all the time. I had also cross checked if the location is the issue, wife's connection was showing 4G. And i got 4G before hitting KA (home network) and lost 4G when i was in KA. Basically they activated a 3G only data plan earlier and disabled the 4G for my connection.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks