Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 23:32   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Connecting 4 speakers + 1 subwoofer to a Desktop?

So, here's the thing:

- I use a Dell Optiplex 755 as my daily use workstation. It has 1 green coloured line-out at the back, and another blue + pink (half & half coloured) lineout (?) next to it. Up at the front, there are two more; one with a headphone sign, the other with a mic.

- Has Soundmax HD Audio.

I want to connect 4 computer speakers (or 5) to my desktop, and each of the 4 speakers should play the exact same sound (no surround sound effect needed). Why? Because they are going to be placed on different desks / for different team members. I need one sub-woofer as well.

How do I go about this? Do I actually need a separate sound card or can it be managed with the existing hardware? What kind of computer speaker system should I look at?

Many thanks!
Old 11th August 2011, 00:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Connecting 4 speakers + 1 subwoofer to a Desktop?

Rush I think you need to just buy a set of 5.1 (or 4.1) speakers and connect them to your comp. No need to extra soundcards etc. And I'm quite sure unless your playing something with a 5.1 surround the same sound should come from all the speakers, even if not it should be easily configurable.

Check this out
Surround Sound Speakers Z506

Creative Speakers - GigaWorks, Inspire, I-Trigue, TravelSound, iPod docking speakers and more!
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 00:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How do I go about this? Do I actually need a separate sound card or can it be managed with the existing hardware? What kind of computer speaker system should I look at?
That's quite easy.
Get one 2.1 speakers & other stereo speaker. Connect the stereo speakers in parallel to the 2.1 (DIY) change the sound settings to 'mono'

Your set up is ready
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 02:04   #4
BHPian

Haven't tried this practically but I am sure as soon as you plug in 2 set of speakers jacks, windows will pop out a interactive window for you to select the desired Sound Settings.

It also depends on if your 4.1 or 5.1 system is based on two stereo jacks or just one jack.
Having only one stereo jack on speaker cable will certainly simply
having more than one option for input would need you to select the most appropriate sound option from control panel-->sound-->playback device-->properties.
ghpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 02:47   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a Creative Inspire 5.1 on my PC, which has a 6 channel out. I guess your out too, is the same. Even if yours is a two channel, a 4.1 will work fine. And you can configure for the same sound to play on all speakers.

It was pretty VFM at the time I bought it. Nice crisp sound at ~5k. Now, I guess its under ~3k. And, it lasted really long, about 7 years. Now my Father uses only two channels of it, with the Subwoofer.

You can also go for some better brands like Altec Lansing.

Last edited by dhanushs : 11th August 2011 at 02:49.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 09:28   #6
BHPian

You need a "Y" adapter.

An example: Amazon.com: Y-Adapter, Stereo 2x 2.5mm Sockets to 1x 3.5mm Plug, gold plated: Electronics

Connect one to the soundcard output (even onboard will do) and plug in the 2.1 and a stereo set. Set the software to put out mono sound, so that all speakers play the exact same sound.

Few more application details will help make more specific recommendations. Budget would also help.
cranky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 09:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

I did an almost similar setup for our office - I used a 5.1 from iBall (The model is iBall Booster - iBall) which have single pin out from sub woofer (the 5 satellites are connected to the sub and sub is connected to the PC) and have an option to receive 5.1 input or 2,1 input .from a PC.

I connected it to an old box which have an old realtek sound card. The 5.1 have an option to select between 5.1 output and 2.1 output too.

After connecting the sub, from the audio settings for realtek audio manager, I selected stereo speakers instead of 5.1 and selected the 2.1 output option on the speakers too.

I am attaching the pictures for reference.

Connecting 4 speakers + 1 subwoofer to a Desktop?-img00126201108110939.jpg

Connecting 4 speakers + 1 subwoofer to a Desktop?-img00124201108110938.jpg

Last edited by theexperthand : 11th August 2011 at 09:56.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 23:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
That's quite easy.
Get one 2.1 speakers & other stereo speaker. Connect the stereo speakers in parallel to the 2.1 (DIY) change the sound settings to 'mono'

Your set up is ready
I have done this, and the ouput is outright crappy! 5.1 seems to be a better option I guess.

Also, was wondering if it is possible to connect a car woofer + amplifier to the pc? Any leads?
crackparag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 19:47   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Many thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Rush I think you need to just buy a set of 5.1 (or 4.1) speakers and connect them to your comp.
Yup, but I wasn't sure of how to connect. Guess I'll get the Y adapter as has been recommended.

Quote:
Connect the stereo speakers in parallel to the 2.1 (DIY) change the sound settings to 'mono'
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackparag View Post
I have done this, and the ouput is outright crappy!
Will keep this as Plan B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
You can also go for some better brands like Altec Lansing.
Didn't see any 4 / 5 speaker set ups from Altec. I have a 2.1 from them, all of 7 years old, and it still rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
You need a "Y" adapter.
Thanks, seems to be just the solution.

Quote:
Few more application details will help make more specific recommendations. Budget would also help.
a) For an office (acceptable SQ, nothing pro-audio)
b) 5 speakers placed at different locations
c) Budget for computer speakers? I dunno. 10K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I am attaching the pictures for reference.
Thanks!
Old 15th August 2011, 20:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's quite easy.

Your set up is ready
Thats the cheapest solution. Just make sure the speakers are 8ohms if the recommended is 4 ohms. Or else the amp might get blown up.
Old 16th August 2011, 01:03   #11
BHPian

Hmm I have a pair of towers and a 2.1 running right now. ( home setup). pretty much plug an play. Sort of basic. But good.

If this is for some office set up to play Kenny G, there are cheaper options! Old portable CD player, some AMP, a few speakers. Nothing more than 4K. Get yourself a decent 2.1. When the Boss wants them to listen to his 'music' plug in to the Amp.
One of my friend had this sort of a set up at his place.

As for the Ohms and other technical details, there are quite a few gods out here!
Old 16th August 2011, 01:37   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Didn't see any 4 / 5 speaker set ups from Altec. I have a 2.1 from them, all of 7 years old, and it still rocks
Umm.. well, I remember my computer guy mentioning a 4+1 from Altec, and I think the 4+1 setup's needs just one pin, with a two channel out. I'll check with him.

Also, If you are looking for a lasting set up, then I guess investing in a sound card (just about ~1k) would be better than a splitter. Its just a more correct way.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 19:34   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, here's the thing:

- I use a Dell Optiplex 755 as my daily use workstation. It has 1 green coloured line-out at the back, and another blue + pink (half & half coloured) lineout (?) next to it. Up at the front, there are two more; one with a headphone sign, the other with a mic.
Green, blue and pink are good enough for a 5.1 setup. The color codes will help you to easily plug in a 5.1 system.

Quote:
- Has Soundmax HD Audio.
Excellent. It will convert most 2-channel sources (encoded MP3s, etc.) to 5-channel without any drop in quality.

Quote:
I want to connect 4 computer speakers (or 5) to my desktop, and each of the 4 speakers should play the exact same sound (no surround sound effect needed). Why? Because they are going to be placed on different desks / for different team members. I need one sub-woofer as well.
Once the speaker setup is complete, check the options for the Soundmax Audio, and select "Mono" under Sound type. It will basically send the same sound signal to all speakers without any effects.

Quote:
No need of a separate sound card. The onboard sound chip with the Soundmax software should do nicely.

The problem with a Y-adapter is that sometimes the sound from the externally connected speakers tends to be low on volume when compared to the main satellite speakers. Either an entire external setup is a more viable solution, or better go in for a 4.1 or 5.1 system.

I recommend a 5.1 system, preferably one which has rich mids and highs from the satellite speakers, and bassy/rumbly lows from the subwoofer.

Connecting 4 speakers + 1 subwoofer to a Desktop?-logitech_x540_5.1_speaker_system__96261_zoom.jpg

This is my recommendation. Logitech X-540 5.1 Sound System. It should cost you around 6-6.5K.

Setting it up - Logitech X-540 5.1 Speakers: Introduction - Techgage

Info - Logitech - X-540 5.1 Speaker System customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 09:51   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
You need a "Y" adapter.
Cranky, just wanted to say THANKS. The Y Adapter did the trick, and gave me just what I wanted. Cost 150 bucks off ebay.in for a pair

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
No need of a separate sound card. The onboard sound chip with the Soundmax software should do nicely.
Thanks. Yeah, the onboard soundmax seems to work just well.

Quote:
The problem with a Y-adapter is that sometimes the sound from the externally connected speakers tends to be low on volume when compared to the main satellite speakers.
They are indeed a li'l lower, but not enough to make a (negative) difference.

Appreciate the help everyone provided.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 11:39   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cranky, just wanted to say THANKS. The Y Adapter did the trick, and gave me just what I wanted. Cost 150 bucks off ebay.in for a pair

Thanks. Yeah, the onboard soundmax seems to work just well.

They are indeed a li'l lower, but not enough to make a (negative) difference.

Appreciate the help everyone provided.
Great!

Which speakers did you get, GTO? I am guessing a 2.1 setup with a couple of towers?

2.1's are very useful because you don't need to buy a separate amplifier for your setup.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks