Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2005, 11:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

I used hutch for one day and it ripped me off 800 Rs.
they charge 50 paise per 10 kb, i.e. 50 Rs per MB. i immediately disconnected it.

have been using reliance mobile for internet (pay per use basis). good enough for normal browsing.
Old 15th November 2005, 11:42   #17
BHPian

INR 150 per month for GPRS with my nokia 6021 unlimited usage, No cable , very convenient and decent speed ..
Old 15th November 2005, 11:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchimni
INR 150 per month for GPRS with my nokia 6021 unlimited usage, No cable , very convenient and decent speed ..
Which network is that???
Old 15th November 2005, 19:19   #19
BHPian

Using Orange EDGE Rs49/month rental + Rs0.10/10kb download.
Speeds are decent..use it to check emails on the move on my Nokia 6630.
Also connect the Reliance LG cell to the laptop for portable internet - Reliance-CDMA claims speeds of 115.2kbps,but actually,speeds vary between 20kbps - 90kbps depending on the internet traffic on their network.
Someone recently told me that Tata Indicom(CDMA) mobile internet is much faster than Reliance.
Also,for the GPRS/EDGE service - in Mumbai,Airtel provides the best speeds for mobile internet.

sr
Old 15th November 2005, 22:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

I use AirTel Mobile Office on my 6680. There are these recarge cards available especially for this GRPS which have a valadity of a month. The connection speed is pretty fast. But the mobile gets heated after a long time of usage.

For anyone who doesn't know this...Download a software called Agile Messenger(old version, nu one is paid) and then u can chat in Yahoo and MSN. And also avoid registering, cuz then again it'll get paid and don't update ur version.
Old 15th November 2005, 23:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Which network is that???
That's probably Airtel - Maharashra and Goa Circle (i think it does not include Mumbai though)... Rs 150 = 1 month's internet access (5 rupees a day).

Speeds are mediocre according to some people,but as far as i am concerned i get speeds that are similar to dialup ....for Rs 150 thats value for money considering it's unlimited! Not recommended for heavy downloads but good value for email, and browsing(team bhp!)
Old 16th November 2005, 01:05   #22
BHPian

GTO,

Reliance has a Data Package where in u can choose unlimited upload and download.. Dont know whether they are still giving it.. Used to be for 500 per month... The speed is good on a CDMA network about 115kbps( realistically 80-90kbps)...(Presently I am using R-connect using a Nokia CMDA phone but havent taken any pack.. using at 50paise per minute as I use it only when I am on the move)

GSM networks offer about 45-50kbps speed.. If your phone is EDGE compliant then speeds upto 70-80kbps can be achieved...And u can use any data cable from nokia like the DKU-2 or the DKU-5 depending on ur phone model and it doesnt cost more than Rs.500... All u need to do is GPRS activated from Hutch.. They will give u the settings to set up the comp.. U can choose the Rs 500 unlimited GPRS/Edge pack ...

Hope this helps ur query..

Rgds
EVO6

Last edited by EVO6 : 16th November 2005 at 01:07.
Old 16th November 2005, 12:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Guys, GTO's original post is dated 1.5 year back

Anyway, Reliance R-Connect speeds have dropped down considerably. It was far better around 4-5 months back, but these days it is not much better than BSNL dialup.
Old 16th November 2005, 12:51   #24
BHPian

Steroid , That's Airtel Pune ..
Old 24th November 2005, 02:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

I use Idea Internet to connect to the net.
RS 500/mont unlimited use and get speed of around 40kbps,but some times at night the speed burts upto 115kbps for few minutes randomly.good enough for surfing.
Old 24th November 2005, 09:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania
Someone recently told me that Tata Indicom(CDMA) mobile internet is much faster than Reliance.

sr

yes , my father uses the tata indicom aircard , an it's much faster than reliance (which he earlier used to use via his reliance phone)
Old 4th December 2005, 11:27   #27
BHPian

well, i used the Airtel GPRS on my Windows PDA Phone for 2 months for the heck of it. it costed Rs.499 for a month, unlimited downloads. its nice speed, and well, i have broadband in my office and home, so dont need net on mobile too. soon i am putting WiFi setup in my home, so then i can get net access on my phone even in the loo hahaha
Old 5th December 2005, 14:56   #28
BHPian

Using airtel Mobile office(internet) on my Sony ericsson p910i costing me only 199 rs per month. The rates are high in delhi and hydrebad something around 499 rs
Old 9th November 2010, 14:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have Airtel Postpaid mobile connection. Is it possible to connect the mobile to the laptop through USB/bluetooth for browsing the internet wirelessly on the laptop ?

Do I need to take some add-on plan for this ? Any idea of the charges involved ?

What speed can I expect ? I need this just for checking mails, booking tickets etc when I am out of station.

Will this setup work in my home town even if my mobile connection is from Bangalore ? Would any roaming charges be applicable in such a case ?

Any other cost effective options ? I already have a broadband at home, need this alternate arrangement only for vacations.

Rohan
Old 9th November 2010, 15:47   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I have Airtel Postpaid mobile connection. Is it possible to connect the mobile to the laptop through USB/bluetooth for browsing the internet wirelessly on the laptop ?

Do I need to take some add-on plan for this ? Any idea of the charges involved ?

What speed can I expect ? I need this just for checking mails, booking tickets etc when I am out of station.

Will this setup work in my home town even if my mobile connection is from Bangalore ? Would any roaming charges be applicable in such a case ?

Any other cost effective options ? I already have a broadband at home, need this alternate arrangement only for vacations.

Rohan
There are two plans. The 100/- plan I think does not allow your phone to act as modem for the laptop. The 200/ plan does so.

When you ask the Airtel call line, they actually mentioned that to me. Though I am not sure, how they achieve this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks