Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2006, 16:19   #1
BHPian

fungus on my canon 28-80 mm lens

Guys,
the most unfortunate thing has happened after the long wet weather in Bangalore last year, i forgot to dry my lens and observed last weekend that one of my canon 28-80 mm lens is affected with a fungii.. Any tips on how to clean this lens. Any reliable camera shop i can approach in Bangalore to get it cleaned..
Old 28th February 2006, 16:22   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon
Guys,
the most unfortunate thing has happened after the long wet weather in Bangalore last year, i forgot to dry my lens and observed last weekend that one of my canon 28-80 mm lens is affected with a fungii.. Any tips on how to clean this lens. Any reliable camera shop i can approach in Bangalore to get it cleaned..
try to keep the lens under a table lamp (may be 100w bulb) for 30 minutes or so. heat radiated may help in removing the fungus.
Old 28th February 2006, 16:27   #3
Team-BHP Support

Look here
http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/~toomas/photo/fungus/
Tells of prevention solution etc.,
Old 28th February 2006, 16:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Look here
http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/~toomas/photo/fungus/
Tells of prevention solution etc.,
I couldnt get much useful info but only hypothesis.. will try keeping it in th sun lets see..

thanks tifosikrishna, i will try your trick too keeping it under a 100w bulb..
looks like the growth is in advanced stages as i can feel the hard ness on the external lens surface..
Old 28th February 2006, 16:37   #5
BHPian

does it help cleaning the lens surface with a mild alcohol solution?? or is the lens coating sensitive for this?
Old 28th February 2006, 16:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

Use a lens cleaning fluid. You get them in camera shops. But you have to open the lens for the cleaning and its not really recommended unless you are trained. I suggest you go and visit fotocircle in chamrajpet or RK photo video near national market. they stock lenses and repair photography equipment
Old 28th February 2006, 16:42   #7
BHPian

Considering that it is in "advanced stages", it would be prudent to get it cleaned immediately. You may take your lens to Mr. K P thomas, an elderly gentleman who does a good job of removing fungus for a reasonable cost at Bangalore. 277, 2nd cross, cambridge layout, Bng - 8. #5115 9135 / 2555 3787.
Old 28th February 2006, 16:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Use a lens cleaning fluid. You get them in camera shops. But you have to open the lens for the cleaning and its not really recommended unless you are trained. I suggest you go and visit fotocircle in chamrajpet or RK photo video near national market. they stock lenses and repair photography equipment
Thanks for the lead tsk1979..
will do it over the weekend.
Old 28th February 2006, 16:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Pathak
Considering that it is in "advanced stages", it would be prudent to get it cleaned immediately. You may take your lens to Mr. K P thomas, an elderly gentleman who does a good job of removing fungus for a reasonable cost at Bangalore. 277, 2nd cross, cambridge layout, Bng - 8. #5115 9135 / 2555 3787.
That was very useful info Mr.Pathak, thank you..
Old 28th February 2006, 16:52   #10
BHPian

You are welcome.

He is recommended by Mr. Naresh Raheja of RK Photoguide. Mr. Thomas did a good job for one of my lenses, while the Nikon authorised service centre tried to rob me.
Old 28th February 2006, 19:18   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon
i forgot to dry my lens and observed last weekend that one of my canon 28-80 mm lens is affected with a fungii...
Lens was wet? If not, what’s the idea of drying a lens?
Fungus in Bangalore is rare. At least that’s what I see. You’ll give your lens for cleaning but what’s the guarantee that it won’t come back again?
Fungus cleaning (if deep) from lens may remove (read damage) your lens coating.

You can probably consider a few steps to prevent further damage. These are of course, after you clean the lens:

1. Do not keep your camera/lens in their respective pouch. Use them only when you’re carrying them.
2. Camera lenses need light to pass through. That’s what they’re meant for. At times allow them to feel the sunlight. Even if you’re not shooting anything.
3. Always use some sort of glass filter (Skylight 1A/UV) to protect your front element. You may not like them using but they protect lens to a great extent.
4. Use manual focusing once in a while (in case of auto focus lens). It will prevent lens lubrication to stay healthy, not sticky or dry.
5. Use a good quality blower brush. Preferably a big one.

You may already know all these…but old man’s blabber is a common problem anywhere.
Old 28th February 2006, 20:21   #12
BHPian

To prevent the issue from recurring again: Always keep a few pouches of "SILICA GEL" inside your cameras and lens bags.
Old 28th February 2006, 22:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritik123
To prevent the issue from recurring again: Always keep a few pouches of "SILICA GEL" inside your cameras and lens bags.
Keeping pouches of silica gels with the lenses in a "camera bag" does not help. That's because the camera bags are not airtight. For perfect prevention, in addition to what Rudra said, follow these :-

1. If you do not plan to use the lenses for a long time, store in dessicators, with silica gel packs. The silica gel absorb moisture from the air inside the dessicator and after sometime (couple of weeks depending on the moisture level), shall turn white/magenta. Check after a couple of weeks and warm up the silica gel in a frying pan (not being used for cooking purposes). The silica gel shall turn deep blue and can again be reused. This process should not be repeated for infinite number of times and it would be wise to replace the pack of silica gel with a new pack after few months.
2. Lenses that are frequently used never attract fungus. Ensure they get air and sunlight at regular intervals, open up and close the apertures, do some shooting.
3. Too much use of silica gel might affect lens lubrication. Be careful.

Hope this helps.
Old 1st March 2006, 11:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Lens was wet? If not, what’s the idea of drying a lens?
Fungus in Bangalore is rare.
Well, i had been trekking in some very moist places last year, although the lens was not wet, i am sure the moisture might have crept in to the lens barrell..and i must say the silica gel in my pouch is old and not doing its job..

4. Use manual focusing once in a while (in case of auto focus lens). It will prevent lens lubrication to stay healthy, not sticky or dry.
I use manual focusing most of the time....

You may already know all these…but old man’s blabber is a common problem anywhere.
i really appreciate and respect your advices after all wisdom comes from age and experience..
thanks,
-shashi
Old 30th May 2014, 12:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: fungus on my canon 28-80 mm lens

Re activating an old lost forgotten thread.

Recently baba has gifted me his Asahi Pentax K1000. Its one of his prized possessions, very close to his heart, with fond memories. It was handed over as a recognition / confidence of me capable enough to handle the masterpiece. Baba had stopped clicking pictures long back and therefore the camera remained within its casing for years at stretch.

Below are some Of the observations which I would like to get rectified with your help.

> The latch seems to get stuck at the time of closing and I need to give it a slight push upwards to lock. I do not know how it was earlier as I was never ever allowed to touch, but Probably the latch has come down by some MM. Experts,please advise.

> The lens has fungi formed all "inside" the barrel. I have owned some other cameras so am aware of cleaning the lenses, but here the problem seems to be within the lens barrel. I can see the fungi but cannot clean it up. Last time pictures were taken (most probably between 1998 - 2000), there were black marks in every positive images.

> The mirror, at times gets stuck, after taking a shot and therefore it needs to be manually pulled down. It happened only at times, but I know the problem is there.

> Apparently it seems that the camera had some sort of lining around the bottom metal plate , to make it airtight. (something like gaskets in motorcycles). Presently it had changed state to powdery form. Is there anything that can be done?

Probably taking pictures with this camera will not be cost effective at all, but I want to gift it to my baba. He has memories attached to it, something I can never understand.

I had tried getting it repaired at Calcutta, but no success. Also I cannot trust to keep the camera / lens with unknown guys.

At the moment I stay in Pune and would really appreciate if someone can please throw some light to get the camera back to its glory days.

Please advise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks