Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2020, 21:12   #136
BHPian

Re: Computer monitor recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
That was extremely technical for me to comprehend

But I’d require a 144hz 4K monitor. 27inch is fine. Budget would be max 25-30k for monitor.

However, my rig is already updated with GTX 1080 and Ryzen 1600 cpu. I’m running all AAA titles without breaking any sweat. But I do have inclination towards Rtx30 series. Since they’re mostly 4K capable cards, I am planning on latching onto 4K 144hz monitor.

Not a tech savvy - please bear with me and suggest a good monitor
Its important for you to understand this so that you don't make a sub-optimal purchase. At the end of the day its your money so you're the one who loses out by having an arbitrary requirement.

Basically, in your budget you can either get a really crap 4k monitor or a good 2k monitor. Choose.

Even at 2k 144hz, you're going to be limited by your CPU at the higher frame-rates that a faster card might enable. Being "mostly 4k capable" and actually being able to play them well on even a 3080 are two separate issues.

Quote:
Not a tech savvy - please bear with me and suggest a good monitor
I will recommend something once we're on the same page

Last edited by Amien : 29th September 2020 at 21:28.
Old 30th September 2020, 01:54   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Its important for you to understand this so that you don't make a sub-optimal purchase. At the end of the day its your money so you're the one who loses out by having an arbitrary requirement.

Basically, in your budget you can either get a really crap 4k monitor or a good 2k monitor. Choose.

Even at 2k 144hz, you're going to be limited by your CPU at the higher frame-rates that a faster card might enable. Being "mostly 4k capable" and actually being able to play them well on even a 3080 are two separate issues.

I will recommend something once we're on the same page
As of now I don’t see any bottlenecks with my cpu Vs gpu 1080. Rtx series upgrade won’t be done anytime soon. Say may be next year I might. I thought atleast with monitor being 4K 144hz, I’m going to be future proof and can limit upgrades to cpu and gpu alone.
Old 30th September 2020, 03:26   #138
BHPian

Quote:
As of now I don’t see any bottlenecks with my cpu Vs gpu 1080. Rtx series upgrade won’t be done anytime soon. Say may be next year I might. I thought atleast with monitor being 4K 144hz, I’m going to be future proof and can limit upgrades to cpu and gpu alone.
You don't see a bottleneck because you're currently running at 1080p. A 3080 can barely run modern games at 2560 x 1440 144hz consistently, imagine games from a year later. Once again, the resolution has nothing to do with being future-proof, its just an appropriate pixel density for the size of display you want:-
21-24 inches = 1080p vertical
27-32 inches = 1440p
30 or more = 2160p

Distance from the screen is also a factor. This is why TVs have lower pixel density than monitors and smartphones/tablets have more. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Amien : 30th September 2020 at 03:49. Reason: optimal density examples
Old 30th September 2020, 03:30   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You don't see a bottleneck because you're currently running at 1080p. A 3080 can barely run modern games at 2560 x 1440 144hz consistently, imagine games from a year later. Once again, the resolution has nothing to do with being future-proof, its just an appropriate pixel density for the size of display you want.
Ok I’ll settle down for 2k 144hz as anyways it’s still on the cards for an upgrade. I’ll go ahead with 144hz monitor now. Please suggest a good one.
Old 30th September 2020, 03:57   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Ok I’ll settle down for 2k 144hz as anyways it’s still on the cards for an upgrade. I’ll go ahead with 144hz monitor now. Please suggest a good one.
Choose between these two:-
Acer Nitro XV272U
BenQ EX2780Q
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 17:28   #141
BHPian

If wanting to get the best picture quality and response time from a QHD monitor, my recommendations for a 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz monitor would be:
  • LG UltraGear 27GL850/LG UltraGear 27GN850
  • Dell S2721DGF
  • Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ1A
  • Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ
  • LG UltraGear 27GL83A

@gururajrv - Not sure if you have a budget that you cannot exceed for the monitor?

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 23:55   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post

LG UltraGear 27GN850

@gururajrv - Not sure if you have a budget that you cannot exceed for the monitor?
I think he mentioned that his budget was in the 25-30k range. The LG in particular is an excellent monitor but closer to 40k than it is to 30. Link:-

https://www.primeabgb.com/online-pri...compatibility/
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 00:58   #143
BHPian

Quote:
I think he mentioned that his budget was in the 25-30k range.
Totally missed that. Thanks for pointing that out, haha

Quote:
The LG in particular is an excellent monitor but closer to 40k than it is to 30.
Agreed. If he can up his budget a bit, the LG would be the one to get. The Dell one uses the same panel as the LG, so should perform about the same, but it looks better IMHO.

I'm currently in the process of narrowing down on a 1440p 144Hz+ monitor myself, and these are all in my list of options.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:00   #144
BHPian

Re: Working from home? Show us your home office

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

While I will write a detailed review later but this one offers more features (at the cost of NOT having a Display Port) for the price difference paid such as the Eye Reminder, HDRi and excellent sound by Trevolo (you won't need additional speakers at all) . This is also an 8-bit Panel - GW series is a 6-bit Panel + NRC.
Hi, could you share where you bought it from and for how much? I think there's some supply issue at the moment and can't find it anywhere.
Old 2nd October 2020, 13:41   #145
Senior - BHPian

Re: Working from home? Show us your home office

Quote:
Choose between these two:-
Acer Nitro XV272U
BenQ EX2780Q
I would recommend that Benq 2780Q model as well if the requirement has some multimedia element associated along with other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Hi, could you share where you bought it from and for how much? I think there's some supply issue at the moment and can't find it anywhere.
I bought it from Amazon itself. Amazon had it in stock in July and also during the Prime Day sale and hence I am guessing they would have it during the next upcoming sale as well which should happen this month. I have been using it on a daily basis for office work by connecting my work laptop and have also connected my Android TV Box. Overall happy with the purchase. I do not need any extra speakers with this model and helps me keep the desk clutter free.

Add this Amazon link to your favorites and check during the next sale: Link

vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 01:18   #146
BHPian

Has anyone used the ultra-wide monitors? What is the deal with them? Upto 32” i see just a few LG models in the range of 30k or so, and then suddenly the higher models are just shy of six figures!!

Now that the ‘desk set-up’ bug has bit me, i thought it really looked nice on the table. It may support my office work occasionally (i don’t need a dual/larger screen everyday) but would like it to be my permanent display for PS4, which also runs Amazon Prime.

Some advice on how to go about it would really help.
Old 11th October 2020, 21:29   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
Has anyone used the ultra-wide monitors? What is the deal with them? Upto 32” i see just a few LG models in the range of 30k or so, and then suddenly the higher models are just shy of six figures!!

Now that the ‘desk set-up’ bug has bit me, i thought it really looked nice on the table. It may support my office work occasionally (i don’t need a dual/larger screen everyday) but would like it to be my permanent display for PS4, which also runs Amazon Prime.

Some advice on how to go about it would really help.
For entertainment atleast I've found that those ultra-wide monitors screw up a lot of normal aspect ratio content, be it movies or games. Games in particular have osme really bad scaling issues. I think they are mostly a ploy by manufacturers to sell you less diagonal viewing space for more.

The one exception to this if you consider them an alternative to a multi-monitor setup for productivity. Though bezels have come a long way, not having one at all might makes sense if a single monitor can replace a triple monitor side-by-size setup. But then it needs to be curved for the same immersion and reading text on curved monitors is not fun.

In summary, I'd recommend against them.
Amien is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 01:27   #148
BHPian

Quote:
For entertainment atleast I've found that those ultra-wide monitors screw up a lot of normal aspect ratio content, be it movies or games.
reading text on curved monitors is not fun.
In summary, I'd recommend against them.
Thank you, Amien! Probably that’s why not a lot of companies are offering them. But I am really surprised at the 4.5 stars from close to 3k reviews of LG 29” on Amazon. I was tempted to go for it but since I have never seen them physically, I wasn’t so sure so asked the experts here.

I have another query which might be subjective. What screen size is a good size for keeping on the desk where the viewing distance is < 4ft? To get a perspective, I put my 32” bravia FHD on the desk and connected my laptop with a HDMI cable. But it felt kinda in the face! Also, looking from my 14” laptop screen to the larger screen alternatively while working was straining my eyes (or was it because of resolution of the TV and scaling?)

I would like my laptop screen to be used while working. I find it faster and less distracting for communication if I am focussed on the larger screen for some work. Guess 27” should suffice but would love to hear some reviews of larger ones as well!
Old 12th October 2020, 02:56   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
Thank you, Amien! Probably that’s why not a lot of companies are offering them. But I am really surprised at the 4.5 stars from close to 3k reviews of LG 29” on Amazon. I was tempted to go for it but since I have never seen them physically, I wasn’t so sure so asked the experts here.

I have another query which might be subjective. What screen size is a good size for keeping on the desk where the viewing distance is < 4ft? To get a perspective, I put my 32” bravia FHD on the desk and connected my laptop with a HDMI cable. But it felt kinda in the face! Also, looking from my 14” laptop screen to the larger screen alternatively while working was straining my eyes (or was it because of resolution of the TV and scaling?)

I would like my laptop screen to be used while working. I find it faster and less distracting for communication if I am focussed on the larger screen for some work. Guess 27” should suffice but would love to hear some reviews of larger ones as well!
You're most welcome I think they have some utility if you 100% know that your content is going to be in a cinematic aspect ratio like 21:9. Most people don't have such a specific use-case however so its best to make sure before you buy into one.

Pixel density and resolution are relative to screen size and viewing distance, or atleast they should be for an ideal viewing experience. This is why TVs and projectors have the lowest PPI count whereas tablets/smartphones tend to have the highest.
Monitors are somewhere in between. At a typical viewing distance the optimal numbers look something like this:-
21-24 inches = 1080p vertical
27-32 inches = 1440p
30 or more = 2160p
For the kind of use you have in mind, I would recommend a ~27inch 1440p monitor. although a 24-inch 1080p one will also suffice if you don't need too much screen real-estate.

Your issues going back and forth between the TV and the laptop have to do with the fact that the former has about half the pixel density as the latter. This of course is totally fine when used at a TV viewing distance, but not quite enough on a desk right in front of you. Hope that helps!
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 23:55   #150
BHPian

Quote:
For the kind of use you have in mind, I would recommend a ~27inch 1440p monitor. although a 24-inch 1080p one will also suffice if you don't need too much screen real-estate.
Hope that helps!
Thanks Again! Quite informative and something you and Joxster have been saying all along so I am sorry if I made you repeat yourself..haha

27” or above sounds good keeping light multimedia/gaming usage in mind for which I don’t need to be glued to the table. I will keep my eyes open during the upcoming sale.

Ok adding a product link for opinions -

LG32QN600

Last edited by quickfox11 : 13th October 2020 at 00:05. Reason: Added a link
quickfox11 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed