Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2023, 11:51   #316
Team-BHP Support

Re: Computer monitor recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
You can narrow that down to Option 1 and 2.

Option 2 is a unique display design. I have not worked with this format and ratio of display. Yes, you can get a display running via USB-C and keep the laptop charged.
In option 2, is understanding of my son correct -

27 is 2560x1440; It’s two 27-inch monitors stacked on top of each other
Since the width is the same, but the height is twice as big
You multiply the second number by 2

He is suggesting either 4k or 5k, that LG used to do for Apple.

https://www.amazon.in/LG-Ultrafine-C...s%2C264&sr=8-3

or 5k

https://www.amazon.in/LG-27MD5KL-B-U...s%2C264&sr=8-5
Old 7th September 2023, 04:15   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
In option 2, is understanding of my son correct
What your son has explained about the Dual Up monitor is correct. It takes two video inputs and displays them on each screen. I'd watch a few user videos on the tube, to confirm that format works for you.

The display with the Ergo stand is a good idea, if you can mount it like that.

Okay, I can get past the 4k display. I don't know know why you'd need a 5K display though. Either resolution, its overkill for spreadsheets. Thats something you should ask your son. What is the benefit of a 4k or even 5k display over a standard 2.5k display, in the context of your kind of work. Heck, even I'd be keen to know. I don't see myself spending 100k INR on a 60hz 5k display though.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 04:37   #318
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Either resolution, it’s overkill for spreadsheets. Thats something you should ask your son. What is the benefit of a 4k or even 5k display over a standard 2.5k display, in the context of your kind of work. Heck, even I'd be keen to know.
I get you, he is equally curious. For me, some of the displays are very soothing for my eyes. It’s nothing to do with specific format or I don’t know what. Like the current Apple 5K monitor is what I use when in Canada. This is one monitor I can work for long hours without any fatigue.

So, technically I was trying to save some money by not buying another one which is probably not best otherwise
Old 7th September 2023, 10:21   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
This is one monitor I can work for long hours without any fatigue.
I can confirm that all the LG's you listed will not be a patch to your Apple display. Even the 5K one.

Reduced eye fatigue can be achieved with a higher refresh rate display. Apple do not publish this information for their displays. Anything >100hz is ideal and you find more of these in the Gaming space. Then again, you are buying a display that won't be used for what it is designed to do.

To match your Apple display, you're looking at something like an Asus Pro Art, Dell Ultra Sharp series or an Eizo (This one is way over the top).
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 22:10   #320
BHPian

Hello.

I am looking to get a monitor and would like to mine the wisdom of experts here.

Usage:
- mostly for office-type work (programming, PDF files, reading and writing documents)
- heavy Internet browsing
- moderately heavy photo browsing and editing
- occasional entertainment via YouTube videos or OTT
- little or no gaming

Requirements:
- easy on the eyes even after long hours of use (> 7 hours a day)
- crisp rendering of text and figures
- easily adjustable orientation
- compatible with PCs and Macs
- support for portrait mode desirable
- cost <= ~ Rs. 30K
- long, trouble free lifespan (> 10 years)

Not mandatory:
- audio support
- USB upstream or downstream ports, Thunderbolt ports, Power Delivery

Based on the recommendations from "PC Monitors" and "Rtings", their availability and cost, I have the narrowed down to these monitors:

MSI PRO MP273QP
Acer Predator Xb253Q Gx
ASUS Proart PA278QV
BenQ PD2705Q
Dell S2721QS

The pertinent specifications of each are collated below.

Computer monitor recommendations?-screenshot-20240326-10.09.03-pm.png

Going by the above requirements (lots of office-type work), a higher resolution monitor would deliver crisper text than lower resolution ones (assuming scaling is used to make the font sizes comfortable enough to read).

I have used a 14" MacBook Pro at work, largely at the default resolution of 1512x982, and have found the rendering to be pleasing. ChatGPT yields the following PPD values considering the display sizes, resolutions and viewing distance (only to be used as a guideline):

Computer monitor recommendations?-screenshot-20240326-10.08.48-pm.png

Therefore, going by these PPD values, only a 4K monitor at the display size of 27" could come close to approximating the visual experience of the MacBook Pro. Rendering 4K at 60 Hz, which is what the Dell S2721QS does, is the most basic UHD-based configuration and yet costs upward of Rs. 30K for a "budget" model despite this configuration being around for 10 years (even my old HP Notebook 14 supports it). I don't think the expense is justified, especially since I'd be wary of the quality control aspects at this price range.

Therefore, my monitor of choice would be a QHD one at a display size of 27". I assume such a monitor would account for a good enough working area and render pleasing text.

Since most of the content consumed would be in the sRGB space (Windows and Internet), complete support for that would be ideal, which the MSI PRO MP273QP provides. It also runs at 75 Hz at QHD (on both the HDMI and DP ports) and thus might be easier on the eyes than when running at 60 Hz. Its support for the portrait mode and adjustable orientations at a cost-effective price is very tempting.

The BenQ PD2705Q runs QHD only at 60 Hz and provides various features (colour accuracy, port options and port density) that I don't particularly need. The ASUS Proart PA278QV is not deliverable to my pincode by Amazon (though Flipkart does do so, but I'm wary to using their services) and the Acer Predator Xb253Q Gx is a step down in size at 24" while it running at 240 Hz is an overkill for my needs.

Overall, I find MSI PRO MP273QP to be a good choice provided that it does not suffer from QC issues. I could later purchase a 24" QHD monitor with the money saved from not going with the other options (BenQ, ASUS or Dell), both to increase the combined working area in pixels (which would be greater than that provided by the UHD option) and to provide a richer textual rendering.

The drawback of this option is that I'd miss out on the richer 4K rendering for the ten years that I'd keep the monitor(s).

Please let me have your opinions.
Old 27th March 2024, 07:24   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
Therefore, my monitor of choice would be a QHD one at a display size of 27". I assume such a monitor would account for a good enough working area and render pleasing text.
I'm using an Acer XV272U and cannot recommend it enough. The higher refresh rate of 144Hz also made a huge difference and looks so much smoother even on desktop and everyday usage.

You can get its sister monitor Acer Nitro VG271u for 16K odd from amazon and invest in a decent monitor arm. Saves a lot of desk space and gives off a much cleaner look.

https://www.amazon.in/Acer-2560X1440...dp/B0CCSKBRCN/

https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-S.../dp/B07DHK5DHN
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 14:46   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi;5744037

[B
Usage:[/b]
- mostly for office-type work (programming, PDF files, reading and writing documents)
- heavy Internet browsing
- moderately heavy photo browsing and editing
- occasional entertainment via YouTube videos or OTT

Requirements:
- easy on the eyes even after long hours of use (> 7 hours a day)
- crisp rendering of text and figures
- easily adjustable orientation
- compatible with PCs and Macs
- cost <= ~ Rs. 30K
- long, trouble free lifespan (> 10 years)

going by these PPD values, only a 4K monitor at the display size of 27" could come close to approximating the visual experience of the MacBook Pro
I am using a LG 32" 1440p monitor with Macbook for work, and it is excellent. It has very good real estate; I can have up to 8 terminals open at once without compromising visibility of any. The previous Mac struggled to keep 1440p at 120 Hz, but the M2 model that my company upgraded to, is alright. I also use a USB C hub that supports 4k60, so 1440p120 is supported too with a good HDMI cable.

I can suggest a 1440p resolution at 32" although the pixel pitch is poorer than a 4k at 27", because in my experience a 4k resolution is not really needed apart from 4k OTT content, or if the screen is very large. We probably end up increasing the display scaling factor with higher resolution, so the screen estate can become same as that of a lower configuration. For example, setting a display resolution scale to 120% on a 1440p 32" will bring the screen estate at similar levels to a 100% scaled 1080p 27". And keeping 100% on 1440p 32", will make fonts too small to read from 2 ft.

We use monitors at a greater distance than a laptop screen, so the theoretical values of pixel pitch compared between a laptop screen and a monitor should not be the deciding factor. It makes sense only if we are looking at pixel pitch of monitors or laptops separately.

So a 1080p 27", 1440p 32", or 4k 43" are my ideal combinations at 2 ft viewing distance.

If you plan to play games at some point, go for 60/ 120 Hz instead of 75, because half v-sync in that one is an odd value (though most such monitors also support 60 Hz natively, confirm the specs).

Monitors usually last a lifetime. My 27" 1080p LG monitor (from where I am typing this comment) is in its 12th year. Look for a model with 3 years warranty.

As for using monitor for long hours, the first thing to do is set gamma and color temp to your comfort zone. Also use a well-lit room. I have brightness and contrast set to < 20, and night shift always on. My monitor also has a 1 MS motion blur reduction feature, which automatically uses a darker gamma, so the screen is very comfortable. However, to use this I need to set 120 Hz always, which as I said, might not be too supportive from an older Mac.

Last edited by mayukh42 : 27th March 2024 at 14:55.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks