Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2014, 17:24   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Computer monitor recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Right now I use a 22 inch monitor whose max resolution is 1920x1080. I used to have a 27 inch iMac between 2010-2012, so this is a downgrade from me. But I have been living with it for lack of choice.

Recently I was looking at a screen share presentation, and the amount of stuff on my colleague in US astonished me. I asked him to show me the screen resolution, and I was stunned. His 15 inch laptop had a resolution of 3200x1800.

Why are all the PC monitors in India stuck in 1920x1080 ?
How does higher resolution on a 15" small screen help?
If it used to convey a larger desktop in smaller size, then we will require magnifying glasses to see/read everything.
Old 5th April 2017, 13:26   #77
Team-BHP Support

Any advice on a monitor that takes an external keyboard and mouse?

My wife uses a 11 inch MacBook Air extensively and I'm planning to get a monitor for better viewing. Ideally, the monitor should work as a dock so she can simply shut the lid of the laptop and use the external mouse and keyboard.
Old 5th April 2017, 14:04   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

My wife uses a 11 inch MacBook Air extensively and I'm planning to get a monitor for better viewing. Ideally, the monitor should work as a dock so she can simply shut the lid of the laptop and use the external mouse and keyboard.
I think it may turn out to be a clumsy solution, even if it exists; with flowing all over.

I would suggest a good universal docking station based on Thunderbolt/Thunderbolt-2
Old 5th April 2017, 23:48   #79
BHPian

Quote:

There are many monitors that can do this. DELL MONITOR S2715H is one of them. All you need is a mini display to hdmi/display port cable, and usb a-b cable to connect the mac to the monitor's usb. If you are not using any fancy KB a monitor with USB 2 ports should be fine. If you already have a monitor getting a usb hub makes more sense as you can connect external hdd and such.
Just about any monitor should work for you if you can also get the logitech kb/mouse that works wireless using the unifying connector and use just one mini display to hdmi/display port cable to connect to the monitor. This way you just use 3 cables. One each to power the mac and monitor and another to connect the mac to the monitor.
Computer monitor recommendations?-logitechunifying.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Computer monitor recommendations?-dells2715h27inchconnections_1024x1024.jpeg  

navin_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 08:18   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think it may turn out to be a clumsy solution, even if it exists; with flowing all over.

I would suggest a good universal docking station based on Thunderbolt/Thunderbolt-2
Docking stations will end up being a costly solution, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
There are many monitors that can do this. DELL MONITOR S2715H is one of them.

Something like this; or I might end up buying just a monitor to "project" the laptop screen and use the Mac keyboard and touchpad.
Old 6th April 2017, 08:29   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Docking stations will end up being a costly solution, no?
I agree. But I thought its a cleaner solution.

Quote:
Something like this; or I might end up buying just a monitor to "project" the laptop screen and use the Mac keyboard and touchpad.
Thanks Navin for this. Need to dig more and see how it can work for me too!

Quote:
A Dell professional monitor that has two USB ports and an HDMI/VGA port, so it takes care of taking the screen input and also keyboard and mouse.
Apart from HDMI/VGA do you also have another cable which connect keyboard/mouse info from CPU to the monitor? Else how is this data interfaced between them?

Last edited by ampere : 6th April 2017 at 08:41.
Old 6th April 2017, 08:36   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Navin for this. Need to dig more and see how it can work for me too!
I see two solutions:

1) Similar to what I have at work.

A Dell professional monitor that has two USB ports and an HDMI/VGA port, so it takes care of taking the screen input and also keyboard and mouse.

http://www.amazon.in/Dell-21-5-P2217...sional+monitor

You can shut the lid of your laptop and effectively use the laptop as a CPU.

Only downside as I've found out is, Macs tend to power down when the lid is shut unlike Windows' where you can keep the machine working even when the lid is shut.

Pros:

- Clean and minimalistic

Cons:

- Expensive; a typical monitor is about 11k
- Might not work on a Mac

2) A regular monitor that just takes your screen input

Pros:

- Cheap; monitors begin around 4k

http://www.amazon.in/Dell-E1916HV-18...s=dell+monitor

Cons:

- Your laptop screen can hinder the view of the monitor

Last edited by libranof1987 : 6th April 2017 at 08:38.
Old 7th April 2017, 03:56   #83
BHPian

Quote:

Apart from HDMI/VGA do you also have another cable which connect keyboard/mouse info from CPU to the monitor? Else how is this data interfaced between them?
You need a USB A - B cable like this that goes from the mac to the monitor's USB input.
Computer monitor recommendations?-151017cablestogo2musb2blackcablesmall.jpg

You can also get an Apple KB/Touchpad which will connect via Bluetooth. No cables needed.
Old 1st August 2017, 14:59   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Eventually picked this up yesterday:

http://www.hpshopping.in/HP_V194_18....nitor_(V5E94AA)

Figured the whole docking station would take up a considerable space and expense so just got a monitor.

This is a 18.5 inch LED monitor, comes with a VGA input/output cable.

Got it for 6k on the HP website. Visited a HP brand store who offered it for 5500, then 5600 and then said 5600 only if cash payment, else 2%. Didn't want to give that idiot my business.
Old 29th May 2020, 18:23   #85
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up an old thread. I am looking to get a bigger screen that I can connect to from my laptop as I am working from home a lot during the lockdown.

Looking at some 27 inch 1080P options like the one from BenQ: URL

Looking for Comments/Recommendations from the experts.
Old 29th May 2020, 18:42   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Bumping up an old thread. I am looking to get a bigger screen that I can connect to from my laptop as I am working from home a lot during the lockdown.
Do you really need a 27inch ? Shouldn't a 24 suffice? You can save some cash. Also please use an external keyboard and mouse instead of trackpad (if you are not using)
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 19:16   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you really need a 27inch ? Shouldn't a 24 suffice? You can save some cash. Also please use an external keyboard and mouse instead of trackpad (if you are not using)
I moved to an Android TV and have an Android TV box from earlier that is lying unused which I am thinking I can use to make this another screen for YoutTube/Prime Video etc. So from that angle, I am eyeing the larger screen.

Do yout think 27 inch maybe too big for day to day work ? - I am not too sure on this part.
Old 29th May 2020, 19:40   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Do yout think 27 inch maybe too big for day to day work ? - I am not too sure on this part.
I was in similar dilemma before, what I have done is instead of one big monitor I bought two 19" monitors and placed side by side.

This really helped in me in my day to day work. And having two separate monitors makes multitasking an easy job.
Especially when you are attending webex meetings or listening to presentations you can switch it to one monitor and continue with your work on another.

What you really need is ports to support two monitors, In my case I have one HDMI-out port and one mini-DP port on my laptop.
I bought a converter for mini-DP to HDMI/VGA and one HDMI cable, this way I connected two monitors. And I have a wireless keyboard and mouse.

This is best alternative for docking station and saves lot of desk space and looks clean.

Alternatively you can connect your Android box to one of the Monitor and switch to it whenever you want.
This way you can work on one monitor have fun on another
I have connected my x-box this way.
RaceHorse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 20:27   #89
BHPian

Quote:
I am using a 27 inch monitor (Lenovo thinkvision) for WFH and it's definitely not too big. In fact, at office, I have two such displays. For CAD and other BIM softwares which I use frequently, screen real estate matters a lot.
The only minor problem with that BenQ monitor seems to be brightness, just 250 nits. 300nits or more is preferred but depends upon personal taste. If you favour less brightness, then it's a non-issue.
DaptChatterjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 20:53   #90
BHPian

Quote:

Looking at some 27 inch 1080P options like the one from BenQ: URL

Looking for Comments/Recommendations from the experts.
I saw an article regarding a Redmi monitor this morning. It's not going to come anytime soon. But if you are not in urgent need, you can wait for it as it looks promising.

Also, I have heard about a bigger screen based one coming up from them.

I may suggest you to look into the gaming screen sections for bigger screens for now!

Take a look!

https://www.financialexpress.com/ind.../1973302/lite/
Jagann13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed