Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:27   #16
BHPian

Hello friends, would like to share some good experience with airtel.

This Monday i faced an issue with airtel deducting 30rs from my balance for some subscription service which i never selected. Having earlier faced similar issues, i decided enough is enough and made a tweet to airtel on twitter with photographic details of the messages that showed deductions to my balance.

They were quick to reply and said somebody would get in touch with me soon. Being busy whole day yesterday i wasn't able to answer their calls. Received a tweet last night that they tried to contact me but i wasnt reachable. I replied that they can contact me today.

Today afternoon they refunded my 30rs back and credited it to my account. This came as a pleasant surprise and a goodwill gesture by airtel towards a long time customer.

Twice they have responded to my complaints to my satisfaction, the earlier being throttling of 3g speeds and im mightily pleased with their service.

Hope this is the right thread to share it as i couldnt find an airtel specific one.
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:32   #17
BHPian

re: Mobile operators in India | Plans, pricing & services

hello all -why does all the providers want customers to take a post paid plan when you are on prepaid? any reason?
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:16   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
hello all -why does all the providers want customers to take a post paid plan when you are on prepaid? any reason?
Helps them count their fixed income in advance. Postpaid rentals are fixed income which helps them with their topline revenue
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation
In addition seller or agent gets a commission too..
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:42   #20
BHPian

Hi all,

Any service provider / plan can give me free calling from Bangalore to Mumbai? ( Interstate - I mean )
I am just interested in calling to one particular number

( My bill now - is like 700 Rs. a Month - includes 98 Rs. Internet 2G plan - So obviously- the new plan/tariff should cost me lesser!)
Help appreciated!

Cheers,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 23rd August 2012 at 20:44.
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
I have been doing this for the past 6 months and more, but I wanted to port for real and after hearing about their plan i planned to stick with Airtel itself but did not know it expires after 60 days. I called the customer care inquiring the same and voila it got extended for another 60 more days. After using for close to 6 months now I am back at 1.2 piase per second for Airtel to Airtel and 1.4 paise to other mobiles which is eating my pre-paid balance like never seen before. I recharge for close to 1000 bucks a month.

When i called the customer care for the same, they said the plan does not exist anymore. If i send a PORT message to 1900, I get a reply back with unique porting ID right away, but no more calls from Airtel reps .

One of the costliest pre paid rates is for airtel. Still DOCOMO is unbeatable when it comes to recharge plans and per paise call rates but coverage sucks big time.

Looking for pan india coverage and good affordable, transparent rates with any other mobile operator now. Any suggestions , guys.
Well i think Reliance CDMA has good coverage now ,have been using it for over 3 years now.
However if you want to stick to GSM i think vodafone is a good option.Have been to Madhya Pradesh and the network coverage was good enough.But as compared to other operators its bit expensive.Even the GPRS service is good and they have sms packs as well.
Old 24th August 2012, 16:17   #22
BHPian

hello all-i been thinking of shifting from postpaid to pre paid ,is there any disadvantages to this?
Old 24th August 2012, 16:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation
hello all-i been thinking of shifting from postpaid to pre paid ,is there any disadvantages to this?
Not much.

1.Every time you disconnect the call, your balance is displayed along with the alert tone.I find the alert tone very annoying.It can't be disabled in most phones as far as i have seen.

2.Your phone wont work in Jammu & Kashmir.

3.You always need to keep balance in advance to make calls.

I migrated to postpaid almost 7 years ago and never felt like going back to prepaid.
Earlier operators used to provide better offers to prepaid customers in terms of sms packs etc. but now everything is at par.

Last edited by k2max6 : 24th August 2012 at 16:31.
Old 5th November 2012, 12:15   #24
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Couple of days ago, I got Micromax A110 which supports 2 SIMs. Currently, I use a Vodafone CUG and pretty much happy with the coverage, services and rarely exceed the free local/STD/SMS provided in the plan & discounts on the bill. On top of that my phone bill (minus taxes) is reimbursed by my company. The 3G plans that vodafone offers doesn't include downloading, its browsing only; additional charges for dowloading, at least in my circle (AP-Hyd). In addition, the Vodafone 3G speed is not impressive. Hence, looking out for a best and cheapest 3G services provider, strictly for data usage only, prepaid of course.

Used 2 GB 3G Airtel for Rs.98/month a year ago and I was amazed by the speed. Downloading a track of 4-5 mb was a task of 30-40 secs. I'm thinking of going back to Airtel for the additional SIM provided they still have same/similar offer. Will use data only when I'm not home or in case of power cut. So assuming the data usage hardly exceed 500-1000 MB data/month.

Any plans/service operators you could refer me to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Hi all,
I am just interested in calling to one particular number

( My bill now - is like 700 Rs. a Month - includes 98 Rs. Internet 2G plan - So obviously- the new plan/tariff should cost me lesser!)
A friend of mine uses Reliance for the same purpose. Rs.440 Reliance to Reliance unlimited calls. Add Rs. 100 for 2G internet and remaining Rs. 160 (from your said limit of Rs.700) can be used for others, provided you find time from abusing the 440 plan

BTW, the "other number" will also have to port to Reliance if you opt for this. Available both in GSM/CDMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
2.Your phone wont work in Jammu & Kashmir.
Is it that J&K doesn't allow prepaid mobile phone connections at all? OR Only prepaid from other states aren't allowed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
I migrated to postpaid almost 7 years ago and never felt like going back to prepaid.
Earlier operators used to provide better offers to prepaid customers in terms of sms packs etc. but now everything is at par.
I agree. Using postpaid for more than 5 years now. The thought of going back to prepaid seems primitive now

PS. No offence to prepaid users. It is one's convenience that should matter while chosing from both.

Last edited by GTO : 6th November 2012 at 10:54. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 5th November 2012, 14:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from what Farukh has mentioned,

- You cannot receive an itemized billed (soft or hard copy) with a prepaid connection.
Old 5th November 2012, 15:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifdeep View Post
Apart from what Farukh has mentioned,

- You cannot receive an itemized billed (soft or hard copy) with a prepaid connection.
Other than the above mentioned is there any other issue ? i mean, regarding the billing ?cause ,other than my connection the rest of the family has got pre-paid connection's and all the operators of the pre-paid connection phones keep on calling asking them to shift to post paid but not even once have i got a call asking me if i wanted to shift to pre-paid, why is this?
Old 5th November 2012, 16:53   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Other than the above mentioned is there any other issue ? i mean, regarding the billing ?cause ,other than my connection the rest of the family has got pre-paid connection's and all the operators of the pre-paid connection phones keep on calling asking them to shift to post paid but not even once have i got a call asking me if i wanted to shift to pre-paid, why is this?
What you can do is to register all the mobile numbers with the "Do not disturb" registry.

The link for airtel is as follows: http://www.airtel.in/applications/dnd/DND_mobile.jsp.

The other operators will also have this, please look for similar links in their respective webpages. This should stop most of the telemarketing calls. Avoid disclosing your mobile numbers in malls, retail outlets and the like, this will help to some extent.
Once a mobile database reaches telemarketers, calls start pouring in and such databases are extensively used by the agencies who promote different services varying from Post Paid <> Prepaid, all kinds of loans, credit cards etc.
Let me know if this helps.
Old 5th November 2012, 17:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
Is it that J&K doesn't allow prepaid mobile phone connections at all? OR Only prepaid from other states aren't allowed?

In J&K (and also in the North east), you cannot use prepaid SIM from other states. Roaming facility is not allowed on prepaid. Same case if you buy a prepaid SIM from J&K. You cannot use it elsewhere. This is a govt restriction.

Postpaid roaming is allowed
Old 5th November 2012, 18:26   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To understand the core reason for this, you need to stop looking it from the customer's viewpoint and in return look at it from the operator's viewpoint.

- For the operator, a postpaid connection provides a fixed source of income. The minimum income is the rental which is assured.
- A prime (internal) indicator of a circle's performance is the breakup of prepaid/postpaid customers of that circle. Every mobile circle is given the mandate to improve that ratio (towards postpaid)
- Most, if not all, of the operators have a huge debt, a steady source of income would be also considered as an health factor (IMO) by the lenders
- Historical data proves that the chances of the consumer disconnecting is higher for prepaid connection
- Historical data proves that the average spending by the postpaid consumer is higher
- Till recently (MNP), postpaid connections were cash cow locked customers for the operator. Even now, a postpaid customer trying to port out would be given more importance to be held back

These are the only few benefits to the operator, there would be a lot more operational benefits/reasons.
Old 29th November 2012, 18:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

Today received SMS from airtel that they cannot send the bill to my x@yahoo.co.in address. I don't have yahoo.co.in email. The email I have been getting the bill in previous months is x@yahoo.com. How and why airtel changed my email is beyond me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks