re: Mobile operators in India | Plans, pricing & services

Vodafone Idea, Airtel to switch off 200 million users soon:

https://www.financialexpress.com/ind...-soon/1390942/
Old 25th November 2018, 13:01   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Idea Nirvana Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post

For the last 7 days, for every sms I receive, I file a complaint here: https://discover.vodafone.in/dnd-complaints without fail. I have around 36 open tickets and I won't stop. It is tedious ( as iPhone don't have the TRAI's DND complaint app) but it was high time to do something.
Quick help - how do you do that for sms that come from numbers like "BZ-MDBAUG" & "VK-ICICIB"

My number is on DND since June, but still get atleast 10-12 sms daily
Old 25th November 2018, 17:04   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Quick help - how do you do that for sms that come from numbers like "BZ-MDBAUG" & "VK-ICICIB"
The network operators can't do that. Even if you file a DND violation, they'd ask you to stop the notifications or delete your account from the MDBAUG or ICICIB account and other places you never signed up for.
Old 25th November 2018, 18:21   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
The network operators can't do that. Even if you file a DND violation, they'd ask you to stop the notifications or delete your account from the MDBAUG or ICICIB account and other places you never signed up for.
Really? ICICIB was a wrong example; that was actually notifications alert smses on my transactions. But in addition to MDBAUG, I get from a whole list of other businesses whom I have very less or no interaction in the past.

A few examples -

"VM-MINECC" - American Express ads
"VK-PBRWRD" - Credit offers (dunno from whom)
"MD-DOMINO" - Domino ads
and many more...

None of these have a mobile number linked; so clearly the telecom operator are involved in some or the other manner in facilitation purpose. Why can't they do anything?

Edit: Re-read your post. So there is no option? Well, I have raised a complaint through their twitter account. Probably will get a robotic response as you mentioned; but will wait.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 25th November 2018 at 18:23.
Old 25th November 2018, 18:25   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

I am confused about National Roaming tariff changes. Does it make any difference if I buy a Bangalore Airtel number and it is permanently used in Hyderabad? Airtel has a feature to add-on SIM cards that get billed to your primary number. I like this feature but apparently I can't add a SIM from a different circle. So I am wondering if I can buy an add-on SIM in Bangalore and give it to someone in Hyderabad.
Old 25th November 2018, 19:14   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
So I am wondering if I can buy an add-on SIM in Bangalore and give it to someone in Hyderabad.
Unsure about add on sim, but it will have an irritating R present on the interface throughout [iPhones don't show up this] and if the sim/phone is lost, you may have to procure it from that circle.
Old 26th November 2018, 12:11   #127
BHPian

Quote:

My number is on DND since June, but still get atleast 10-12 sms daily

2 options. There is a TRAI app for Android, which does this, however I am on iOs and doing it through the Vodafone website, link for which was provided above. They too report it on TRAI inturn, as the service number/ ref. no is searchable on TRAI.

You are suggested to remove the hyphen between BZ-MDBAUG and show the sender as BZMDBAUG. In the message too, delete all commas, fullstops Hash, Asterisks, etc and keep it short,simple and brief.

After about 20 days, the sms haven't stopped, but I can say reduced a bit. The irritating part is for each complaint, Vodafone calls within 7 days to report that the complaint has been forwarded to TRAI and they will revert.
Old 1st December 2018, 14:34   #128
BHPian

Quote:
A few examples -

"VM-MINECC" - American Express ads
"VK-PBRWRD" - Credit offers (dunno from whom)
"MD-DOMINO" - Domino ads
and many more...

The iOs TRAI DND app is up and running. Check more on it here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4504652 (The iPhone Thread)
Old 1st December 2018, 14:47   #129
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Ive been with Vodafone since 2003. Used to be Hutch in those days.
Now I m finding they have some simply superior International Roaming plans available where the cost is severely controlled both for voice as well as data.
Even their India voice and data packages have been excellent so far for us.

So there is this Red Entertainment Plan which gives you some 200 GB of data (and I end up using some tiny amount of this each month!)
And the International I Roam Free 10 days pack for Rs 3500 gets you 3 GB of Data for the 10 days and voice at some really negligible cost.

So in a month, if there is about 10-12 days travel outside of India and fearless voice usage and data usage (including google maps and Uber and all the rest of the stuff that one uses) one ends up with a bill which is in the range of Rs 4500- 5000 for that entire billing cycle. Which to me, seems a very good deal.

I m just wondering, whether JIO has better plans - I really want to know...would be much obliged if someone can guide me!
Old 1st December 2018, 15:12   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ive been with Vodafone since 2003. Used to be Hutch in those days.

I m just wondering, whether JIO has better plans - I really want to know...would be much obliged if someone can guide me!

No. Jio's international roaming packs for postpaid aren't as comprehensive as Vodafone's or Airtel's.

I was and currently back on Vodafone, briefly being on Airtel for 6 months in the interim.
After having been bitten by a Rs 12000/- odd roaming bill by Airtel, did some research on the IR packs and brieflly mentioning them as below.
  • Vodafone is truly unlimited in the common countries like USA, UK, UAE whereas Airtel is capped. Other than these countres, even Vodafone has a cap on data and voice. Try Kenya on Vodafone.
  • The available countries on both Airtel and Vodafone differ. Try Serbia on Vodafone. It is not available, but available on Airtel
  • Vodafone's pack expire after tenure ( 10 day pack will not auto renew till manually renewed), however Airtel is auto renewal till stopped. I got stung by the auto renewal on day 11 ( which I had miscalculated), that set me back by another Rs 3500
  • If visiting a country that border another country ( and that is not on the compatibility list of countries on your pack), keep your phone on Airplane mode near the border. My phone switched to a Bosnian Network on Serbian border and added Rs 3~4000 of consumption, before I could even realise what was happening. To make matters worse, Airtel barred my IR Data, till I made an interim payment ( with no data, how do they expect me to make a payment :-). I had to wait for wifi connectivity and making a payment from a foreign IP address was another story altogether).
  • Jio is not worth considering, as the countries on offer is very less.
Old 1st December 2018, 15:25   #131
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
No. Jio's international roaming packs for postpaid aren't as comprehensive as Vodafone's or Airtel's.

I was and currently back on Vodafone, briefly being on Airtel for 6 months in the interim.
After having been bitten by a Rs 12000/- odd roaming bill by Airtel, did some research on the IR packs and brieflly mentioning them as below.
  • Vodafone is truly unlimited in the common countries like USA, UK, UAE whereas Airtel is capped. Other than these countres, even Vodafone has a cap on data and voice. Try Kenya on Vodafone.
  • The available countries on both Airtel and Vodafone differ. Try Serbia on Vodafone. It is not available, but available on Airtel
  • Vodafone's pack expire after tenure ( 10 day pack will not auto renew till manually renewed), however Airtel is auto renewal till stopped. I got stung by the auto renewal on day 11 ( which I had miscalculated), that set me back by another Rs 3500
  • If visiting a country that border another country ( and that is not on the compatibility list of countries on your pack), keep your phone on Airplane mode near the border. My phone switched to a Bosnian Network on Serbian border and added Rs 3~4000 of consumption, before I could even realise what was happening. To make matters worse, Airtel barred my IR Data, till I made an interim payment ( with no data, how do they expect me to make a payment :-). I had to wait for wifi connectivity and making a payment from a foreign IP address was another story altogether).
  • Jio is not worth considering, as the countries on offer is very less.

Wow! Thank you Sir! What a phenomenal comprehensive bit of advice!
You’re bang on with the Border bit.
I used the 10 day pack for France a couple weeks ago. I was told to manually select the network so I did (SFR). I went to Monaco/ Monte Carlo on a day trip. My phone (since it was on manual), just lost service completely. So that was a good thing. Had it been on Auto, it would have grabbed the local network and I’d have got stung.

So I ll stay with Voda for now as per your advice.
Old 1st December 2018, 18:01   #132
BHPian

Guys, need some advice. I have Airtel and Vodaphone + IDEA pre-paid numbers primarily for home. Senior folks at home use very basic phones with no internet or any such fancy feature (Imagine Nokia 1100 equivalent/similar modern day). So phone calls is all they use those for. I had all of those on Life-time validity plans (taken many years back when these were fad). Now there is the shock:

1) Full talk-time recharges are now a minimum of 1000 on both networks.
2) Airtel for sure (but not clear on Idea/Voda yet) have stopped the life-time validity and have resumed the monthly (28days) recharges. Airtel has stopped outgoing services on the phone now and they are asking for regular recharges per month.

Is that the case with everyone?

Is there an alternative plan/provider still giving the old school life-time validity with smaller (100-300) recharges?
Old 1st December 2018, 18:34   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Guys, need some advice. I have Airtel and Vodaphone + IDEA pre-paid numbers primarily for home. Senior folks at home use very basic phones with no internet or any such fancy feature (Imagine Nokia 1100 equivalent/similar modern day). So phone calls is all they use those for. I had all of those on Life-time validity plans (taken many years back when these were fad). Now there is the shock:

1) Full talk-time recharges are now a minimum of 1000 on both networks.
2) Airtel for sure (but not clear on Idea/Voda yet) have stopped the life-time validity and have resumed the monthly (28days) recharges. Airtel has stopped outgoing services on the phone now and they are asking for regular recharges per month.

Is that the case with everyone?

Is there an alternative plan/provider still giving the old school life-time validity with smaller (100-300) recharges?
My mother living in Assam told me that all outgoing calls had been barred on her Airtel connection. I had topped her account with a lumpsum amount a year or so back. I browsed Airtels plans and found there are no lifetime plans anymore. So to test the system recharged with the minimum plan of Rs 33 for 28 days. And now she can make calls from her phone. The other balance amount stays in her account which would be deducted, I suppose, when she uses some services like ISD which are not covered in her new plan.
Old 2nd December 2018, 12:30   #134
BHPian

Mobile operator (Airtel) is forcing people to go for a monthly pre-paid recharge. This is completely unfair on customers. Choice should be given to customers. TRAI should intervene.

Many senior citizens and super senior citizens would be inconvenienced due to this. Is there anyway we can raise this issue up?
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:27   #135
BHPian

I just got an SMS from Airtel to recharge with Rs.23 or any unlimited pack or else my connection would be disconnected. Now this sim is my secondary and I only use it as a backup if there is no range on my primary Vodafone. Looks like I'll have to port out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks