Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2019, 17:19   #181
BHPian

re: Mobile operators in India | Plans, pricing & services

Not sure, if this is a restriction with Prepaid, but I can call toll free numbers from my PostPaid Vodafone in Mumbai. Can even SMS all sort of numbers.

Can you check if it is not trying to call +1860xxxxx and the same is being blocked for lack of ISD facility. This is just a thought.

On a different note, any Vodafone users in Punjab or Karnataka, where they claim TurboNet 4G has been implemented. Do you notice any real difference in coverage/data speeds or is it just on paper?
Old 23rd September 2019, 17:30   #182
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Not sure, if this is a restriction with Prepaid, but I can call toll free numbers from my PostPaid Vodafone in Mumbai. Can even SMS all sort of numbers.
Yes, obviously you can do it with Postpaid because they can bill you for it. This is a restriction with prepaid (and only if you do not have any free balance outside of the Prepaid Plan). But with Jio Prepaid, I did not have this restriction.

Last edited by carboy : 23rd September 2019 at 17:31.
Old 23rd September 2019, 17:40   #183
BHPian

Is there any operator who is providing WiFi Calling? I love this feature and used extensively when I was in US as Tmobile network as bad in my home.

If not now, is anyone planning to provide soon?
Old 23rd September 2019, 17:59   #184
BHPian

Billed for a toll free number? Why would that happen?I always thought that the receiver picks up the tab when called on a tollfree number. Isn't that the concept of a toll free number?
Old 23rd September 2019, 18:27   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I used to be on a postpaid plan for a long time (Vodafone). Early this year, I changed to Jio Prepaid. Their network is quite poor inside my home, so now ported to Vodafone prepaid. After porting, I recharged with a plan where I get unlimited phone calls & also 1.5 GB/day for 84 days. I was on something similar with Jio earlier.

On Jio, I could send SMS to DishTV's 57575 while Vodafone doesn't. With Jio, I was able to phone 1-860- numbers but with Vodafone, I couldn't. When I ported, I was initially setup with some 5 or 10 Rs of prepaid originally after which I did the 84 day pack right on Day 1. I was allowed to send the 57575 SMS & also call 1-860 numbers till this 5-10 Rs got exhausted, but post that, I am unable to do either.

So why does Jio Prepaid allow this? And what is the way to do this in Vodafone prepaid?
I have a Vodafone Prepaid connection and am on a similar plan as yours. Of late I too have noticed that I am unable to send SMSs to certain 5 digit business numbers (one of them is an ICICI number related to credit card). I thought this change came up when I changed my Phone from a Vivo to One Plus.
Old 23rd September 2019, 18:37   #186
BANNED

Quote:
Billed for a toll free number? Why would that happen?I always thought that the receiver picks up the tab when called on a tollfree number. Isn't that the concept of a toll free number?
In India, it's a little different. Some toll-free numbers are toll-free only when called from MTNL/BSNL phones. Some are toll free for all, some are toll free with different permutations and combinations. So I guess, Vodafone prepaid has designated this particular toll free number (I was trying to call Bigbasket) as tolled (no idea if it is or not) & blocked it.
Old 23rd September 2019, 18:37   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Is there any operator who is providing WiFi Calling? I love this feature and used extensively when I was in US as Tmobile network as bad in my home.

Jio is running pilot for Wi-Fi calling since long and I'm one of the user. Infact I was the engineer who helped enable Wi-Fi calling in Jio during 2016-17 . The feature yet to get approval from DOT. Because of this it is available to selected users.
Old 11th October 2019, 17:55   #188
BHPian

Vodafone users in Karnataka, now that integration/refarming has been completed and TurboNet 4G has been announced, do you see any improvement in coverage and/or incremental data speeds with your service?
Likewise, IDEA users in KA, are you still on IDEA or display shows Vodafone. Any visible changes due to 'TurboNet'.

Edit: Vodafone Users in Punjab, UP West, Rajasthan, WB ( except Kolkata), can also provide inputs, as TurboNet seems to be implemented there too.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 11th October 2019 at 18:03.
Old 12th October 2019, 07:53   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post

Airtel supports it. I have seen this option on an iPhone. On my OnePlus 5 though, I don't see that option. So I am not sure if the phone needs any settings or not
Old 12th October 2019, 11:53   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchettry View Post
I have a Vodafone Prepaid connection and am on a similar plan as yours. Of late I too have noticed that I am unable to send SMSs to certain 5 digit business numbers (one of them is an ICICI number related to credit card). I thought this change came up when I changed my Phone from a Vivo to One Plus.
1800xxxx are toll free numbers
1860xxxxx are tolled numbers. You end up paying Rs.3 per minute from prepaid fo any cal made to a 1860 number

Many service providers (Big basket, ICICI bank, Axis bank, OLA etc) have moved from Toll free to tolled numbers (1800 to 1860). If you dont have any balance at all, you will not be able to make the call.

Similarly SMS to 56xxx numbers are premium SMS and charged at 3 Rs. per SMS. Same issue, you cannot send SMS if you dont have free balance in your prepaid.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 12:09   #191
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
1800xxxx are toll free numbers
1860xxxxx are tolled numbers. You end up paying Rs.3 per minute from prepaid fo any cal made to a 1860 number

Many service providers (Big basket, ICICI bank, Axis bank, OLA etc) have moved from Toll free to tolled numbers (1800 to 1860). If you dont have any balance at all, you will not be able to make the call.

Similarly SMS to 56xxx numbers are premium SMS and charged at 3 Rs. per SMS. Same issue, you cannot send SMS if you dont have free balance in your prepaid.

I was able to do both with Jio standard prepaid but unable to do it with a similar Vodafone prepaid plan.
Old 14th February 2020, 12:45   #192
BHPian

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/74129276.cms
Quote:
Supreme Court on Friday directed telcos to pay “sizeable” amount of their statutory dues by Friday . The apex court tore into the government and the telecom companies for not abiding by the court order directing the recovery of AGR dues worth Rs 1.47 lakh crore from the companies.
This will be a big blow to the telcos specially Vodafone Idea whose stocks slumped by 13.62% to trade at Rs 3.87 on the BSE .

It seems like the right time to port out of Vodafone, people. With the parent company and Birla, both raising their hands up and with no help from SC, they may file for Bankruptcy.Even if they do scrounge some monies, there will be nothing left for network improvements, additional features, etc. As it is, Vodafone users on Twitter are having a field day and complaints about poor/non existing network is mounting( likewise on Airtel and Jio Twitter accounts).
Personally, I get excellent network from Vodafone, both at home and office and in a dilemma what to do next.
Old 14th February 2020, 14:19   #193
BHPian

Quote:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/74129276.cms

It seems like the right time to port out of Vodafone, people. With the parent company and Birla, both raising their hands up and with no help from SC, they may file for Bankruptcy.Even if they do scrounge some monies, there will be nothing left for network improvements, additional features, etc. As it is, Vodafone users on Twitter are having a field day and complaints about poor/non existing network is mounting( likewise on Airtel and Jio Twitter accounts).
Personally, I get excellent network from Vodafone, both at home and office and in a dilemma what to do next.
I switched to Airtel from Vodafone and Airtel is miles better but since my US bought iPhone 6S does not work on Airtel properly, I wanted to switch back to Vodafone after 2 months or so. But with this, I am not sure what to do now. May be I will need to keep using my iPhone 5S till end of year when I am planning to buy a new iPhone.
Old 14th February 2020, 16:33   #194
BANNED

Quote:
It seems like the right time to port out of Vodafone, people. With the parent company and Birla, both raising their hands up and with no help from SC, they may file for Bankruptcy.

If you think they are going to shut down in the next year or so, then there is no need for porting. Before they shut down, they will sell their existing customers to another provider. So it will get ported automatically.
Old 14th February 2020, 18:24   #195
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
If you think they are going to shut down in the next year or so, then there is no need for porting. Before they shut down, they will sell their existing customers to another provider. So it will get ported automatically.

Vodafone Idea is the market leader and the government wont let it fail, it's bad optics plus they owe banks over 50000 cr so that's another default no one wants.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks