Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 10:46   #16
BHPian

Re: WebOS - Palm Pixi Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
16K for the Samsung Fascinate. Except for clothes, I shop for everything online. Extremely convenient, cheaper and wider choice.

I am actually moving from GSM -> CDMA for coverage.
Well, frankly offlate I too have been shopping a lot online - except clothes.

Freerecharge, lootspot, ebay, flipkart, letsbuy, inkfruti.

Most of the electronics are now purchased online rather than go to stores.

Better deals, more discounts. REALLY convenient (coz people like us already know what we want).

So yes to that.

Are you in Mumbai?

CDMA definitely has a much stronger superior network - hardly ever fails or drops down.
Voice clarity also better.

Only 2 issues : SMS - never threaded - keep going in parts. & Internet - not so good.

I have a Reliance GSM prepaid
Vodafone GSM postpaid
Reliance CDMA prepaid
T24 (Tata DoCoMo) GSM prepaid
&
MTS CDMA - data stick prepaid.

(used to have an Airtel prepaid too)

So have experienced almost all networks in almost all pockets of Mumbai.

CDMA really very strong.
Old 1st November 2011, 12:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
16K for the Samsung Fascinate. Except for clothes, I shop for everything online. Extremely convenient, cheaper and wider choice.
Hi GTO, the price quoted is 22k onsite ,however 16k is damn good price for this phone . Are these phones unlocked before delivery ?

Last edited by GTO : 1st November 2011 at 15:29. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 1st November 2011, 14:44   #18
BHPian

I bought the HP touchpad tablet 32GB for $149 when they put it on liquidation sale, The OS is pretty good, but the ecosystem is not very good with regards to apps. The apps derive the Operating Systems now. Less Apps, less users. Waiting for Android port to flash and use all android apps.

If they can open source it, probably it could pick up. I love the OS, but the apps sucks.
Old 1st November 2011, 15:31   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Hi GTO, the price quoted is 22k onsite ,however 16k is damn good price for this phone . Are these phones unlocked before delivery ?
It is unlocked, yes. I don't know if supply restrictions have taken the price up. Right after I bought my phone, I saw the same seller listing a Fascinate on Ebay for 15K.

Either ways, we are going off-topic here. Lets carry forward any CDMA phone discussions on the right thread.
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp View Post
I bought the HP touchpad tablet 32GB for $149 when they put it on liquidation sale, The OS is pretty good, but the ecosystem is not very good with regards to apps. The apps derive the Operating Systems now. Less Apps, less users. Waiting for Android port to flash and use all android apps.

If they can open source it, probably it could pick up. I love the OS, but the apps sucks.
That is precisely the deal which I wanted to take advantage of too!!!

They sold off touchstone chargers @ 2.50 $ !!! Imagine.

Good buy. Really good buy.

Yes, OS is good. Ecosystem is poor.

I believe some Android port are already available for the TouchPad.

Congrats once again!

Quote:
It is unlocked, yes. I don't know if supply restrictions have taken the price up. Right after I bought my phone, I saw the same seller listing a Fascinate on Ebay for 15K.

Either ways, we are going off-topic here. Lets carry forward any CDMA phone discussions on the right thread.
You do Literally have a thread for everything posisble !!!

Last few days - I have seen The Netbook thread, the DSLR thread, Android thread .... WOW !

No there is also a WebOS thread !

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd November 2011 at 11:18. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 2nd November 2011, 18:48   #21
BHPian

Hi Dr.
I too have a Palm Pixi Plus since last 6 months, my better half's using it.
And I must admit, WebOS is really cool.
I bought it from cellwala. The guy (Sadik) is located in Mumbai and I interacted with him personally on phone before finalising the deal. He's a real reliable person to shop with online.
I got the Pixi fully programmed with Reliance CDMA. It came in "blank" condition, I just had to transfer my Reliance CDMA no. by using HCC. And here comes the icing on the cake: 1x data too works on this phone. My only grouse is that it seems bit slow compared with my HTC Incredible CDMA
Actually, he is active on a forum called www.rimweb.in
He (and other reliable members too) have lots of good CDMA handsets on offer, all officially registered with Reilance.
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Hi Dr.
I bought it from cellwala. The guy (Sadik) is located in Mumbai and I interacted with him personally on phone before finalising the deal. He's a real reliable person to shop with online.
I got the Pixi fully programmed with Reliance CDMA. It came in "blank" condition, I just had to transfer my Reliance CDMA no. by using HCC. And here comes the icing on the cake: 1x data too works on this phone. My only grouse is that it seems bit slow compared with my HTC Incredible CDMA
He (and other reliable members too) have lots of good CDMA handsets on offer, all officially registered with Reilance.

Wow!

I find another fellow Palm Pixi User!

Yay! ...

Thanks for sharing that amazing piece of info.

It's a little bit late - but since I will have a CDMA & I have plenty of CDMA friends with similar dilemmas - it will be a very valuable piece of info.

Thank you! This kind of info should circulate more.

So ... 1x data working too!!!
DAMN!

Too good - I feel like a fool who wasted 6 months tinkering around!

If you don't mind - what price did you get it for ?

Enjoy!
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Dr.
this info is surely useful as i am also considering a WebOS device for my wife. but i am confused as she prefers compact mobiles with keypad.
I have shortlisted HP Veer GSM device (this is at&t unlocked).
I am just not sure if 3G will work on it. even the seller on ebay is not able to answer this question.

Last edited by Nicky : 3rd November 2011 at 10:03.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:47   #24
BHPian

Another Palm Pixi(GSM) user. bought it in march for 5500/- Its the best OS i have used till date. MultiTasking is darn good. off late also bought 16GB touchpad.
And Palm Community Hombrew Apps are very useful. particularly different patches that available in preware.
Soon i am upgrading to Pre2 or Pre3 as i feel sluggishness after using webOS 3 on my TP.
So My Pixi Plus will be on sale in a few days.
For all webOS users let me know if i could help you with metadoctoring the OS or intalling patches.

@Nicky. ATT unlocked veer works on Indian 3G network since it supports TriBand UMTS 850/1900/2100. Go for it.
Old 3rd November 2011, 18:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Wow!

If you don't mind - what price did you get it for ?

Enjoy!
I got it for 5K.

They have very nice deals on new as well as preused CDMA handsets, provided you are ok without warrantees.
Old 3rd November 2011, 21:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Great writeup doc, the palm os is indeed a nice well thought out OS, but unfortunately, did not survive the BB/Apple devices.

I would like to experiment with one too, but need Internet connectivity and would prefer it on GSM rather than CDMA. Would you know if its available for GSM? And how easy/tough would it be to get it unlocked here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I am also thinking about buying unlocked (software unlocked by seller on ebay) Palm Veer for my Wife. only thing i am not sure about is if 3G Video calls will work in India on it?
if somebody can answer, i would be grateful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Doc, can you please pm me the contact number for the Borivili chap? I'd like to see a demo of the piece and test the GPRS before buying a Palm.

Admire your perseverence. Looks like you're a die hard Palm fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
this info is surely useful as i am also considering a WebOS device for my wife. but i am confused as she prefers compact mobiles with keypad.
I have shortlisted HP Veer GSM device (this is at&t unlocked).
I am just not sure if 3G will work on it. even the seller on ebay is not able to answer this question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
Another Palm Pixi(GSM) user. bought it in march for 5500/- Its the best OS i have used till date. MultiTasking is darn good. off late also bought 16GB touchpad.
And Palm Community Hombrew Apps are very useful. particularly different patches that available in preware.
Soon i am upgrading to Pre2 or Pre3 as i feel sluggishness after using webOS 3 on my TP.
So My Pixi Plus will be on sale in a few days.
For all webOS users let me know if i could help you with metadoctoring the OS or intalling patches.

@Nicky. ATT unlocked veer works on Indian 3G network since it supports TriBand UMTS 850/1900/2100. Go for it.
Quote:
I got it for 5K.

They have very nice deals on new as well as preused CDMA handsets, provided you are ok without warrantees.

A BIG Thank you to Mr. anuragn & Mr. nisarg86.

I think they have really shown a good path here for everyone.

I feel like a total fool having wasted so much of energy when it was directly available !

I checked out the site & the forum.
+ we already have 3 testimonials warranting the good work & good products from the site.
Add to that GTO has also endorsed them in the past.

I went through the entire collection - I was floored.

I must admit - poor research on my part.

Highly recommended site for all CDMA users. I am going to make it a point to spread the word in my circle.

Thank you both once again for the fantastic response & above all - some hope - that there ARE other Palm / WebOS users.

Mr.nisarg86 - I think I shall trouble you in the near future for those updates!
Hope you don't mind.

I feel I shall upgrade to a Veer or Pre3 within the next few months too.

Mr.nisarg86 - how much are you expecting for your Palm Pixi Plus ?
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 01:15   #27
BHPian

Reviving this dead OS thread.
Just got my hands on Factory Unlocked HP PRE 3 from UK. 1 word. What a device ? After using Pixi Plus for more than 6 months i was searching for faster and better webOS device and pre3 is the answer. everything is so smooth and fast. not to mention flawless integration with my touchpad.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp View Post

Its Open Source now and already picking up. Wait and watch!!

Here's A Good Sign That HP's Decision To Open Source WebOS Will Pay Off
Old 6th January 2012, 12:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its Open Source now and already picking up. Wait and watch!!

Here's A Good Sign That HP's Decision To Open Source WebOS Will Pay Off
Only time will tell, the developer relation guy quit

Apple & Android market share
Old 16th January 2012, 16:26   #30
BHPian

Just stumbled on this.

I just placed an order for the Palm Pixi Plus for my older Reliance number from eBay.in. Costed me Rs.3700 and the cellwala person will take care of the unlocking and RIM database part. All I need to do is probably just walk into Reliance WebWorld and make a request.

Lets see how this pans out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks