Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2004, 15:35   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey TBians,

Folks are headed to the States in May, and I am asking them to pick up a digicam for me. Butttttttttttttttttttt if only I knew as much about digicams as I do about cars...Bottom line - My knowledge in this area is zilch.

Okay pal, my budget is apprx $400, but dont mind spending another $100 if I am getting much superior picture quality. Picture quality is a big driver for me. Usage will be split equally between day and night, indoors and outdoors. And yes, 50% of the pictures will be car-related.

From my research so far I have narrowed it down to the Sony Cybershot DSC-V1, the Canon G5 and the Canon S50.

But now theres some new models I am hearing about such as the Canon Powershot S500 and the Sony DSC-T1.

Which one? Help?

GTO
Old 22nd April 2004, 17:49   #32
BHPian

GTO,

probably this http://www.mouthshut.com/read.php?cid=109&r=1 might help

cheers
~A

ps: look out for the link "buying a digicam" to start fromthe scratch
Old 22nd April 2004, 18:22   #33
Team-BHP Support

IMO for that price, go for the Sony DSC-T1
Really compact too! Perfect camera if you ask me, + being a Sony, you have tons of support for it.

1/2.4" 5.1-Megapixel Super HAD™ CCD for up to 2592x1944 stills
JPEG (Fine/Standard), Voice Memo and E-Mail still image modes
Carl Zeiss 3X Optical zoom lens (38~114mm 35mm equivalent)
Auto, Program AE, Scene Mode (Twilight, Tw Portrait, Landscape, Snow, Beach, High Speed Shutter, Fireworks, Magnifying Glass)
Auto Shutter range 1 ~1/1000 sec; Auto aperture f3.5, f5.6, f8
Five area Multi-point Auto Focus, with AF Illuminator low light focusing assist
Slow Shutter NR subtractive noise reduction for long exposures
49 Segment Multi-pattern measuring exposure system and Spot meter modes
4 Mode flash (Auto/On/Off/Slow Synchro), TTL Pre-flash metering, red-eye reduction
White Balance (Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Fluorescent, Incandescent and Flash)
Live Histogram display in record and playback modes
4-shot 2.5fps Burst mode
Auto-Exposure Bracketing 3 shots w/0.3, 0.6, 1.0EV steps
MPEG Movie (w/audio) - VX Fine (640x480, 30fps), VX Std (640x480 16fps), email (160x112)
2.5" 211k Pixel LCD; Transflective design reflects ambient light for increased brightness
Playback Zoom with selectable resolution trimming function, in-camera re-size and copy functions, A/V Output
Memory Stick Pro Duo compatible to 512MB, 32MB included.

Thanks to: www.steves-digicams.com
Old 22nd April 2004, 21:11   #34
BHPian

GTO, go to http://www.dcresource.com and pick the camera you want to research from the dropdown list. On the next page, click on the 'gallery' hyperlink. You'll see photos taken with the camera being discussed. I strongly believe that to choose a camera, you have to see the pic with YOUR eyes; (very much like buying speakers - you need to hear the music with YOUR ears). A friends view may be different from your taste, as with an expert or critic.

My personal opinion: If we're talking brands, get a Canon or a Nikon. Sony is very good, but cameras are not what they do best. My sister owns the Canon G3 (older G5) and I own the S50. They're both awesome cameras, but the G5 has an edge in that it has an accessory shoe for an external flash and a bayonet mount for lens (if you ever need one). The add-on flash is extremely important for indoor pics and poor lightling, as I experienced at Jacob Javits'. A small hitch with the two Canons - they use proprietary batteries that are expensive, but it can be overcome.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck !
Old 23rd April 2004, 00:20   #35
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi guys,
I was just passin that studio today when i heard someone callin out my name. When i looked up, it was the owner of the studio. I went up to him and he told me that "Tera photos aa gaya" . I was shocked and told him "Kya baat kar raha hai". I told him to tell me seriously and not joke on this matter. Its a very sensitive matter. he said no seriously they've come. What happened was a driver had collected the photos on behalf of his madam. The madam was out of town and came back just 3 days back. And when she seen the pics she realised that these were not hers and returned them back.

God Bless Her.

P.S. I have scanned the SL500 pic and posted it in the appropriate topic. Heres the link :
Red SL500

Old 23rd April 2004, 11:28   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ April 22 2004,22:50)]I told him to tell me seriously and not joke on this matter. Its a very sensitive matter.

God Bless Her.
LOL

GTO i will do some specific research n get back to you. But right now i have some major homework due for tomorow...

later
Rehaan
Old 23rd April 2004, 21:47   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks very much, you guys...buts you still aint heard the end of it.

So did some more research and found the Canon A80 4 megapixel camera for $200 shipped. For you boys in the States, dont ever pick up anything before checking on The fatwallet forums.

Now the question is, is it worth paying $300 more for just one extra megapixel? I know zilch about cameras, and all the manual settings that Rehaan spoke about before will never ever be used by me. All I am going to do is point and shoot in automatic mode. I have also heard that 4 MP is more than enough to take print copies of 4x6 size with quality comparable to regular 35mm cameras.

Another factor is that if I spend $500 on a camera, I will have to use it for atleast 3 years. But if I get a $200 camera, I can always upgrade to the then-introduced 8MP camera in a year or two itself.

Waiting...

GTO
Old 23rd April 2004, 21:51   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Seriously OT, but check out my own find here on the Fatwallet when I picked up my Laptop. Its got 27000 views and led to the creation of www.x1000forums.com

GTO
Old 24th April 2004, 00:37   #39
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Canon A80 costs 18500 in Bombay with software , USB Cable , Video Cable , 32MB CompactFlash Card and strap.

JJ Mehta
Old 26th April 2004, 13:23   #40
Team-BHP Support

What do you need a 8 Mp camera for anyways? I mean, how many times are you actually gonna print out pics that ;large anyway??

A lot of ppl mistake MP for picture quality, which is not entirely correct. All that states is how large a photo can be without pixelating. A pic taken by a 5 MP cam can look quite bad if the lens used is crappy. So the main thing too look for first is the quality of the lens i would say.
Old 26th April 2004, 17:23   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ April 13 2004,14:34)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Those pics mean a lot to me.
I feel your pain bro. I suggest looking out for a digicam now

GTO
But make sure it's at least 4 mega pixel.
Happy shooting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks