Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2015, 19:03   #31
BHPian

re: DIY: Home Automation

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
Here you go - Attaching scrshot as text formatting is getting messed up
Dear Abhi ,

Am so glad that this thread came up and you're in pune too . Am in the process of doing up my home and I was initially looking at Philips Hue bulbs which are super expensive . They I shifted to Yeelight by Xiaomi , however its a gamble , getting it from ali express .

Now that I see LIFX and MiLIght . If you ever have time , I'd like to see your setup , just the bulbs . Am relying heavily on these bulbs for mood lighting in my house .

If its not to much to ask can you PM me your contact number . I'd like to have a quick word . Would also like to know where you sourced these from .
Old 25th March 2015, 19:13   #32
BHPian

re: DIY: Home Automation

Interesting stuff. I am aware that the upcoming gadgets could be enabled for the internet of things, but how do you do it on the earlier gadgets like the media player ?
Old 25th March 2015, 19:15   #33
BHPian

Sure, I haven't used Yeelight so can't comment - although i see they are 6W so the lumen output will probably be low and you may need multiple of these for a single room

The LIFX is highly recommended, very bright (18W) and the color spectrum it can reproduce is far superior to the Hue- Very expensive but worth at least for your living room

The Milight is 9W, does not support white temperature adjustment but is cheap and reasonably bright (around 1200 a pop)
I sourced some from aliexpress but later found a local site (enrg.in) that stocks them
Will PM you my number in just a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Interesting stuff. I am aware that the upcoming gadgets could be enabled for the internet of things, but how do you do it on the earlier gadgets like the media player ?
Fairly straightforward actually
Since the central server and media player (XBMC) are on the same network, the server listens to events on XBMC and can switch a scene on/off based on a play/pause event
Having said that, it will probably not be possible for the really old media players (like a seagate media player I had which had been summarily discarded a long time ago for reasons other than automation)

Last edited by GTO : 26th March 2015 at 13:22. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 26th March 2015, 16:50   #34

Re: DIY: Home Automation

Quote:
Some of you old timers may remember me as the guy who had setup a full fledged PC in his Corsa for Music/Nav etc back in the era when uttering the word Tablet would lead to a question on what your ailment is

Of course, that whole project is a pointless one now but it had been a while since I had done something substantial DIY-wise..

This time , I diverted the attention of my drill bits and wiring harnesses to my home (much to the chagrin of the lady of the house). Eventually though, she likes what it resulted in :

This was done for rather cheap using off the shelf components and supports any business logic combination you want to use - some examples I

- Send me an alert with Pics if there is motion in Porch but only if its a weekday and time is between 10AM to 7PM
- Switch living room lights 10 mins before sunset with a warm hue if temperature <24C or cool hue if temp >28C
- Dim living room lights to pale blue if a movie is switched on the media center, brighten if paused or stopped
A Very Nice DIY indeed. This is basically my B.Tech Final Year project that I am continuing right now. What we have implemented till now- Configured the Raspberry Pi to take input from various sensors(Light sensor, Temperature Sensor) through GPIOs and accordingly control relays, LEDs, Air Conditioner etc.
We are presently working on the motion sensor picture alert. Could you please elaborate how you are interfacing the Raspberry Pi with more than 2 cameras. And is the alert feature e-mail based?
Old 26th March 2015, 17:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Excellent and an inspirational DIY for me. I bought some home automation components a year back but am yet to start the design. Let me resume buying the components and start the design.

How are the images captured? Using jpg camera attached to arduino/Raspberry?

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2015 at 12:35. Reason: Typos
recshenoy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th March 2015, 10:27   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya0721 View Post
A Very Nice DIY indeed. This is basically my B.Tech Final Year project that I am continuing right now. What we have implemented till now- Configured the Raspberry Pi to take input from various sensors(Light sensor, Temperature Sensor) through GPIOs and accordingly control relays, LEDs, Air Conditioner etc.
We are presently working on the motion sensor picture alert. Could you please elaborate how you are interfacing the Raspberry Pi with more than 2 cameras. And is the alert feature e-mail based?
The cameras are IP cameras, I missed adding those to the component list
Alerts are via Telegram, On motion detection during office hours, Images are captured and included in the notification

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Excellent and an inspirational DIY for me. I bought some home automation components a year back but am yet to start the design. Let me resume buying the components and start the design.

How are the images captured? Using jpg camera attached to arduino/Raspberry?
As mentioned above, I am using a bunch of IP Cameras
The Raspberry Pi captures the jpeg stream

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2015 at 12:36. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 27th March 2015, 11:16   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I am using a bunch of IP Cameras
How are you accessing the cameras outside your home n/w, Static IP or through NoIP or something similar?

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 27th March 2015 at 11:17.
Old 27th March 2015, 11:49   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi, 2 queries:

I have a bunch of D-Link IP cams for monitoring my home and garden when at work or outstation. I use the mydlink portal for this.

Can you recommend a cheapish DVR where I can record the streams? Not really keen for HD quality etc. but just as a recording tool for any untoward incidents.

Secondly, any cheap PTZ camera which you'd recommend? The D-Link ones are very expensive!
Old 27th March 2015, 13:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
How are you accessing the cameras outside your home n/w, Static IP or through NoIP or something similar?
NoIP and port forwarding on the modem and router to access the full platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi, 2 queries:

I have a bunch of D-Link IP cams for monitoring my home and garden when at work or outstation. I use the mydlink portal for this.

Can you recommend a cheapish DVR where I can record the streams? Not really keen for HD quality etc. but just as a recording tool for any untoward incidents.

Secondly, any cheap PTZ camera which you'd recommend? The D-Link ones are very expensive!
No idea about conntinous recoding via DVRs, I instead use motion detection during unexpected hours to simply capture multiple frames
I currently use 3 fixed D-Links Cams (not sure why you say they are expensive- The day versions are around 3-4K online) and 1 generic FOSCAM clone with IR (for night view) and pan/tilt controls for the porch (around 4K on ebay)
The picture quality from the cheap D-Links is far superior to the FOSCAM clone
Old 28th March 2015, 14:49   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

To clarify, the Dlink PTZ ones are expensive. Not the fixed ones, the latter are super VFM!
Old 15th July 2015, 15:20   #41
BHPian

This is very cool. I am doing up my house from the ground up, I would really like some tips and tricks, I am tech challenged, so a lot i do not understand, is there a basic guide or a 101 or something i could read?
Or should I just go with a brand like Creston.
Old 26th July 2015, 23:23   #42
BHPian

Re: Home automation Thread

Hi Pals,

Bumping this rather dormant thread for a solution, which sounds simple but could not find much on the internet.

Basically, our apartment has a DG backup for flats and in case of power failures, the DG is manually started by the guards. The guards have a visual dependency on one designated street lamp near their post which is kept on through out the day. However, due to the visual dependency at times they fail to notice the power cut. So someone has to tell them over intercom or phone. We want to overcome this. There could be 2 approaches:
1) Install automation for DG Start Stop - We are open to it but cost could be a bit high. Also, we want to depend a bit on manual intervention to avoid unwanted start/stops for pretty shor cuts at times.

2) An audible alarm in Security cabin to go off in case of power failure. This could be rather cheap. I found 2 options online. Appreciate if anyone can throw light on any of the two items below :

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Automatic-Pow...item2c9e7291de

http://www.amazon.in/Nvis-Power-Supp...+failure+alarm

Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Cheers!
Old 27th July 2015, 16:43   #43
BHPian

Re: Home automation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Hi Pals,

Bumping this rather dormant thread for a solution, which sounds simple but could not find much on the internet.

Basically, our apartment has a DG backup for flats and in case of power failures, the DG is manually started by the guards. The guards have a visual dependency on one designated street lamp near their post which is kept on through out the day. However, due to the visual dependency at times they fail to notice the power cut. So someone has to tell them over intercom or phone. We want to overcome this. There could be 2 approaches:
1) Install automation for DG Start Stop - We are open to it but cost could be a bit high. Also, we want to depend a bit on manual intervention to avoid unwanted start/stops for pretty shor cuts at times.

2) An audible alarm in Security cabin to go off in case of power failure. This could be rather cheap. I found 2 options online. Appreciate if anyone can throw light on any of the two items below :

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Automatic-Pow...item2c9e7291de

http://www.amazon.in/Nvis-Power-Supp...+failure+alarm

Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Cheers!
Waiting to hear from the experts - I am sure we have lot of tech wizards on this forum coming from almost all kind of professional backgrounds.
Old 20th September 2015, 13:37   #44
BHPian

In the last days, I have been playing with an Arduino Uno board and I have a small motion detector built. I now want to get my Arduino connected to the internet and send me notifications on my Android device when my set up detects any changes in its neighbourhood!

I guess I need an Ethernet shield. Could anyone here point me to DIY tutorials that shows me how I could do this? I'm not looking at setting up a Web server on my Arduino, but rather I would just want my Arduino to push those signals to my Android device!
Old 20th September 2015, 14:11   #45
BHPian

Nice to see this thread on Home Automation! I would like to know where can we purchase the controllers and the other end devices. Are the components available online or we need to search in local electronics shop? Has anyone integrated any DIY media streaming server (audio/video) into the automation?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks