Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2017, 12:58   #46
BHPian

Re: Home automation Thread

We are planning to go for home automation by next month for our flat. We've explored the market (looking for a solution where the vendor comes and installs it - not looking at a DIY). The options we looked at where:

1. Control4: Looks to be a proven solution, but way too expensive. Quote was around 3 Lacs for automating Lights + ACs + Home Theatre
2. Cubical: This is a start up by pass outs from IIT Guwahati. This is new in the market - cost is 50% of Control4. Anyone has any idea about this solution?
3. We are also looking at Pert recently.

Would love to hear if any of the BHPians here have managed to find a solution that works reliably, plus is actually value adding.
Old 6th June 2018, 17:28   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: Home Automation

Bumping an existing old thread instead of creating a new one.

I've recently got hooked on semi-DIY home automation using Sonoff wifi-enabled devices. Currently, I have 6 smart switches hooked up to my Amazon Echo and with more devices on order. Typically available from Aliexpress, these cost roughly $5 to $30 depending on the functionality. These are also available from multiple Indian sellers with a mark-up of course. Alexa works seamlessly with these gadgets. Haven't tried with my Google Homes yet.

There are experts on this forum like diyguy and I request them to add their setups to this specific thread:

Relevant posts:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post4399244
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post4399244
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post4402398
Attached Thumbnails
Home automation Thread-whatsapp-image-20180606-1.31.09-pm-1.jpeg  

Home automation Thread-whatsapp-image-20180606-1.31.09-pm.jpeg  

Home automation Thread-whatsapp-image-20180606-1.31.10-pm-2.jpeg  

Home automation Thread-whatsapp-image-20180606-5.22.43-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 6th June 2018 at 17:40.
Old 7th June 2018, 12:12   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Bumping an existing old thread instead of creating a new one.

I've recently got hooked on semi-DIY home automation using Sonoff wifi-enabled devices. Currently, I have 6 smart switches hooked up to my Amazon Echo and with more devices on order. Typically available from Aliexpress, these cost roughly $5 to $30 depending on the functionality. These are also available from multiple Indian sellers with a mark-up of course. Alexa works seamlessly with these gadgets. Haven't tried with my Google Homes yet.

Perfect!! Just read on their website that it supports Google home as well.

This is exactly what i was looking for. How and where have you installed them? Do they go inside the wall plate?
Old 29th June 2018, 13:31   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

More loot from Aliexpress. This time it reached using AE standard shipping via Singapore Post in 14 days flat. Very impressed!

This big one at the bottom is a combined wireless switch and a power consumption meter with a rated load of 16A / 3500 watts. Trying to figure out where to fix the latter. The most logical ones are our powerful solar panel + electric geyser fitted on the terrace as well as a side-by-side refrigerator. Need to check the wattage for both and slightly uncomfortable to fit high power appliances to these devices. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Home automation Thread-whatsapp-image-20180626-12.43.54-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 29th June 2018 at 13:38.
Old 29th June 2018, 16:26   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Itwasntme, can you please share a few installation pics on how you have used this with the appliance/devices in your home?

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th June 2018 at 16:35. Reason: Spacing
Old 29th June 2018, 16:43   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I've recently got hooked on semi-DIY home automation using Sonoff wifi-enabled devices.
Nice - I've been using them for a few months too.

Quote:
Alexa works seamlessly with these gadgets. Haven't tried with my Google Homes yet.
Works well with Google Home -- though sometimes I face connectivity issues (might be my Wifi), and occasionally it works but Google still says "there was an error"

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
Do they go inside the wall plate?
Depth wise they do fit easily. Though if your wall-plate is full of switches, it probably wont fit. You'll need some blanks.

Quote:
Need to check the wattage for both and slightly uncomfortable to fit high power appliances to these devices. Any thoughts?
The switching part shouldn't be an issue, since it's effectively a mechanical switch (relay).

Don't know about the measurement circuitry.

I've used a Sainsmart board with solid state relays that literally went up in smoke!!! So you can never truly trust the engineering of these cheaper products.

The next one I bought seemed to be slightly modified - no problems with that so far!
Old 29th June 2018, 16:51   #52
Team-BHP Support

Another awesome device i recommend is the Broadlink RM mini 3.

$15 (available for a bit more on Amazon.in too)

Home automation Thread-rm3.jpg

The range is awesome.

I use it to control my Air Conditioners. (Or anything IR - like TV, Home threater, Fan, etc).

One thing i like doing is having it automatically turn off the AC an hour before I have to wake up.

Note that there's TWO Broadlink apps that it works with. You can use either one: e-Control / ihc (Intelligent Home Control)

Via the IHC app, it integrates perfectly well with Google Home (haven't tried Alexa).

If you use Tasker on Android - get RM Plugin Lite - super easy integration there too.

More detailed info at this link : https://www.banggood.com/Broadlink-B..._warehouse=USA

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th June 2018 at 16:55.
Old 30th June 2018, 13:11   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Another awesome device i recommend is the Broadlink RM mini 3.

$15 (available for a bit more on Amazon.in too)

The range is awesome.
Please confirm if I can use this in Bangalore to control my home air conditioner in Chennai?

Had this as a urgent requirement two days ago when my parents can figure out the AC remote. Had to use another AC remote with preset options and get the machine to work.

Thank you 👍
Old 3rd July 2018, 15:47   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Please confirm if I can use this in Bangalore to control my home air conditioner in Chennai?
Yes you can.

Though do note:

1) You'll obviously have to run through a 1-time setup process (you can download the AC codes from their online database - 90% chance of finding it --- or you can 'teach' it the codes, button by button)

2) Earlier i had a lot of problems using it over the internet (over wifi worked better) -- but then i changed by router and now it works pretty well!

3) You can even set a timer to turn the AC on / off -- or even change the temperature at certain times.
Old 7th July 2018, 15:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes you can.

Though do note:

1) You'll obviously have to run through a 1-time setup process (you can download the AC codes from their online database - 90% chance of finding it --- or you can 'teach' it the codes, button by button)

2) Earlier i had a lot of problems using it over the internet (over wifi worked better) -- but then i changed by router and now it works pretty well!

3) You can even set a timer to turn the AC on / off -- or even change the temperature at certain times.
Thank you very much. It's pretty much what I am looking for. It was on deal for a 100 rupees less on that day I replied to you. I'll wait for it for the next time.

For now, color coding the remote will do I think.
Old 10th July 2018, 14:31   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
It was on deal for a 100 rupees less on that day
If your application is more price sensitive than time sensitive, do check sites like aliexpress & banggood -- their prices are usually better (inclusive of shipping), but shipping takes 2-4 weeks.

There's also a small chance you'll be charged a random customs fee.
Old 10th July 2018, 17:15   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Itwasntme, can you please share a few installation pics on how you have used this with the appliance/devices in your home?
Sorry for this delayed response. Currently only with some shamefully basic stiff like table and standing lights (we have far too many!) and for electrical strips were certain gadgets are connected to. Next steps are planned for ceiling fans and garage lights etc.

Connected the power output switch to my IFB dryer and happy to confirm it works very well:
Attached Thumbnails
Home automation Thread-whatsapp-image-20180710-5.11.43-pm-1.jpeg  

Home automation Thread-whatsapp-image-20180710-5.11.43-pm-2.jpeg  

Home automation Thread-whatsapp-image-20180710-5.11.43-pm.jpeg  

Old 13th July 2018, 15:36   #58
BHPian

Re: Home automation Thread

Smart Plugs: Recently purchased smart plugs from Amazon USA (TANTAN brand). These plugs are connected by wifi,controlled by app as well Alexa. These plugs are 110-220V compatible. I could connect and set them very easily. They work seamlessly and i am using remotely for switching on lights when out of station. I must say a good way to start connected home.
Old 17th July 2018, 12:16   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your application is more price sensitive than time sensitive, do check sites like aliexpress & banggood -- their prices are usually better (inclusive of shipping), but shipping takes 2-4 weeks.

There's also a small chance you'll be charged a random customs fee.
I got it for 1050 rupees yesterday, along with Echo Dot at 2.5K. It should be arriving on Monday. I'll only get to test it next week.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll update the forum about the device post it's installation at my home.

Haven't really shopped with Ali Express. Hence decided to stick to Amazon India itself.
Old 25th July 2018, 11:10   #60
BHPian

I recently purchased Google Home Mini. So, I wanted to try some simple home automation using this device.

Does the TP-Link LED bulbs function as is when fixed in the existing power socket?

So, the existing switch becomes redundant when controlled using Google Home?

Please help!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks