Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2018, 14:53   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: Home Automation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
So, the existing switch becomes redundant when controlled using Google Home?
The existing switch must be kept permanently on now as the smart bulb obviously needs electrical power to operate 'smartly'. In my Sonoff switch setups, I have taped small strips of sticky tape to keep them 'permanently' on.
Old 30th July 2018, 21:57   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
I got it for 1050 rupees yesterday, along with Echo Dot at 2.5K. It should be arriving on Monday. I'll only get to test it next week.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll update the forum about the device post it's installation at my home.

Haven't really shopped with Ali Express. Hence decided to stick to Amazon India itself.
The thing works. It just does. Setting up was a jiffy and it took the code from the remote of the AC and performed well on Wifi and on the mobile network.

I am thinking of getting a couple of more devices for two other rooms. This one just controls the AC. The hall might have a few uses for a device that replaces most remotes.

Thank you for writing about this device and helping me solve one of the major issues with regards to the AC at my home

It is actually quite small compared to how it is shown in the pictures in the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Note that there's TWO Broadlink apps that it works with. You can use either one: e-Control / ihc (Intelligent Home Control)

Via the IHC app, it integrates perfectly well with Google Home (haven't tried Alexa).

If you use Tasker on Android - get RM Plugin Lite - super easy integration there too.
I am using the IHC. Forgot to bring the Echo device with me. Will have to do the setup next time I am home.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 30th July 2018 at 21:59.
Old 16th August 2018, 18:48   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Thank you for writing about this device and helping me solve one of the major issues with regards to the AC at my home
Glad to hear that!

One thing I dislike is how slow the e-Control & IHC apps are to start up.

Solution: Use the 'RM Plugin Lite' app. It integrates beautifully with e-Control (haven't tried IHC), and you can put a widget on your android phone home screen that will make your device react instantly!
Old 17th August 2018, 18:44   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Glad to hear that!

One thing I dislike is how slow the e-Control & IHC apps are to start up.

Solution: Use the 'RM Plugin Lite' app. It integrates beautifully with e-Control (haven't tried IHC), and you can put a widget on your android phone home screen that will make your device react instantly!
Looks like my next project :-). In the meantime, more Sonoff stuff reached:
Attached Thumbnails
Home automation Thread-screenshot_20180817184419.jpg  

Old 30th November 2018, 17:14   #65
BHPian

Re: Home automation Thread

I've a question regarding Sonoff POW R2. It should be connected before Voltage stabilizer or after Voltage stabilizer?

I need to connect it to my Daikin 1.5 Ton Inverter AC.
Old 1st December 2018, 04:00   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_lone View Post
I've a question regarding Sonoff POW R2. It should be connected before Voltage stabilizer or after Voltage stabilizer?
I've done it before to save even the ambient power that the stabilizer may consume and also so that I don't need to use the physical mcb anymore to turn off or on the power. I keep it always switched on.
Old 1st December 2018, 10:34   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I've done it before to save even the ambient power that the stabilizer may consume and also so that I don't need to use the physical mcb anymore to turn off or on the power. I keep it always switched on.
I would like to clear one more thing. On ITED forums it says that POW R2 cannot remember last power state & in the event of a power failure it always go to "OFF" state..

What is your experience with this ?
Old 1st December 2018, 12:52   #68
BHPian

Quote:
... in the event of a power failure it always go to "OFF" state.
There is an option for this and I use it with my pressure pump to ensure post a power failure, when power returns to turn it back on. I have kept this setting to 'On'. There is an option as 'Keep' which I assume will do what you want, I've not tried it though.
Old 24th December 2018, 03:29   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
There is an option for this and I use it with my pressure pump to ensure post a power failure, when power returns to turn it back on. I have kept this setting to 'On'. There is an option as 'Keep' which I assume will do what you want, I've not tried it though.

Yes. This option is on latest Firmware 2.8.0. Initially it was absent in the default FW 2.6.1 which it came with.
Old 1st January 2019, 09:57   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Bought a couple more POW R2s for my Bosch dishwasher and LG washing machine. However, I would like to avoid cutting the factory cable to splice in the switch just in case they deny warranty etc. Is this a valid concern and/or can anyone suggest a workaround please?

With my IFB drier, I have spliced it in as it is a relatively simple machine compared to these other ones. Refer consumption stats for December. We had house guests on and off and you can see the related spikes.
Attached Thumbnails
Home automation Thread-screenshot_20190101095746.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 1st January 2019 at 10:01.
Old 1st January 2019, 12:00   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Bought a couple more POW R2s for my Bosch dishwasher and LG washing machine.
How many Power monitoring switches do you have? What all do you monitor?
Old 1st January 2019, 12:40   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Bought a couple more POW R2s for my Bosch dishwasher and LG washing machine. However, I would like to avoid cutting the factory cable to splice in the switch just in case they deny warranty etc. Is this a valid concern and/or can anyone suggest a workaround please?

With my IFB drier, I have spliced it in as it is a relatively simple machine compared to these other ones. Refer consumption stats for December. We had house guests on and off and you can see the related spikes.
Just make a few extension boards of 16 Amps with half meter cable & install the POW R2 on that cable instead of splicing the original washing machine cable. Make sure you use a good brand like Anchor or Havells for the said extension box. It won't affect the equipment & you will be able to use POW R2 without cutting anything...

https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Extension-Board/

You can use the one without the switch & only socket as well.

Last edited by wolf_lone : 1st January 2019 at 12:42.
Old 1st January 2019, 23:17   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just make a few extension boards of 16 Amps with half meter cable & install the POW R2 on that cable instead of splicing the original washing machine cable. Make sure you use a good brand like Anchor or Havells for the said extension box. It won't affect the equipment & you will be able to use POW R2 without cutting anything...

https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Extension-Board/

You can use the one without the switch & only socket as well.
Yup, that is exactly what I'll get my local electrician to do as soon as I receive the switches hopefully next week. They are already at Chennai (in 4 days flat!) as the Sonoff official store despatches via SingPost. Will also mount the boards on the wall itself, as I don't want them dangling or getting wet somehow.
Old 5th January 2019, 17:02   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, that is exactly what I'll get my local electrician to do as soon as I receive the switches hopefully next week. They are already at Chennai (in 4 days flat!) as the Sonoff official store despatches via SingPost. Will also mount the boards on the wall itself, as I don't want them dangling or getting wet somehow.
Got them today in 11 days flat. Fabricating the extension cords now.
Attached Thumbnails
Home automation Thread-img_20190105_170154.jpg  

Old 7th January 2019, 22:36   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got them today in 11 days flat. Fabricating the extension cords now.
Not happy with the Sonoff Official Store on Aliexpress. On opening the boxes I found 2 wiring clamps missing from each switch.

Wrote to them and they are considering a partial refund. Any ideas on if I can do jugaad here and still use them safely (remember dishwasher and washing machine to be connected!)?

Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Home automation Thread-sonoff.jpeg  

Most Viewed