Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2009, 22:04   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Ah! are these games pirated? Lots of tools that are used to defeat copy protection are the ones that are used to patch programs by viruses.

If that is the case then tug-of-war between AV and patches can wreck havoc on Windows.
Well some are. but the AV did the same for the original CoD CD too. The autorun.ini file was being quarantined. I had to disable the AV to play the game.

Now the AV is not active since the trial period is over but cant understand why the cd drive doesnt play cd's.
Old 7th August 2009, 15:47   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Okay I have a weird problem. Problems actually

1: Cant see hidden files - No matter how many times I've change the settings and RegEdit. It still doesnt show them.

2: Left Click - When I left click on the drives, it comes up with a "Open With" window. Tried formatting the drives, reinstalling windows, regedit and everything else. Tried scanning with 3 diff AVs.

Any suggestions or anyone else encountered similar problems ?

I guess its about time I move to a Mac

The thing with the hidden files is actually virus effects. Actually its after effects of a virus attack. Your best bet would be to restore it to a previous safe point or ultimately, clean install your windows.
Old 7th August 2009, 16:15   #48
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so my internet connection was activated today.

Downloaded the trial version of Avast and did a boot scan and voila... 12 virus files were found. Some worms and some trojans. Deleted them and now the dvd drive is working.

Really funny cos the systems guy inserted a vcd and it played. DVD's were not playing. After the scan and cleanup its back to normal.

Thanks for the inputs guys.
Old 7th August 2009, 16:49   #49
Senior - BHPian

Should also use cccleaner and defraggler. Both for free on piriform. Great utilities.
Old 7th August 2009, 16:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Also use TFC from the site oldtimer; this cleans out temp files from the system.

Recommend this for almost anyone who has a system running for long periods; you will be amazed at the amount of junk it cleans out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks