Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 08:19   #1621
TOR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.tec View Post
i own 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR Nikkor Lenses and i really want to upgrade my zoom factor.

The obvious thing that comes to mind is that i buy the 70-300 but i have heard of telephoto converters of 1.5x or 2x which attach to the lens and magnify the zoom making it a 400mm max zoom lens.
Guess you are having a DX format camera(do specify).

The 70-300 lens works in that range on the FX format.

On the DX format(like the D40/40x/60/90/3000/5000) the same lens will give 105-400+mm.

So there is no need of the teleconverter.

Moreover teleconverters will only work well on fast lenses(like the 2.8 and below),and dont consider a converter more than 1.4x.
Old 15th September 2009, 08:40   #1622
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Its a lovely camera. I got the 500D with the 18-55mm kit lens, though I am gonna get a 10-22mm lens pretty soon..as I love landscape photography. I am uploading a few sample pictures, mostly from my rooftop. I am also uploading a pic of my dog "tiger", the gentle great dane.
The PP effect is surreal, totally unreal. Yet, it looks nice, like a painting.
Old 15th September 2009, 09:17   #1623
BHPian

Quote:
Its a lovely camera. I got the 500D with the 18-55mm kit lens, though I am gonna get a 10-22mm lens pretty soon..as I love landscape photography. I am uploading a few sample pictures, mostly from my rooftop. I am also uploading a pic of my dog "tiger", the gentle great dane.

I got the kit with a free 4gb sandisk sdhc, a gold coin and a carry bag.

Some of the pictures are in HDR.
Hey what a coincidence!! I bought the EOS 500D as well just two days ago. I got it for $1339 SGD., works out to ~44k in INR. I got a 8gb card, genuine Canon camera bag and a set of lens cleaning kit for free. Absolutely love the camera. Will upload some pics ASAP.
Old 15th September 2009, 14:06   #1624
BHPian

I was looking at EOS 500D and found this deal at ebay

eBay India: NEW CANON DSLR EOS 500D WITH 18-55mm IS LENS + WARRANTY (item 140345994867 end time 22-Sep-2009 09:30:00 IST)

The price is 36k, i just checked price of this Mr. Jayesh but there seems to be lots of difference in his price.

Do you people recommend buying this ? Though he says with bill & warranty and again in last he says the product is imported.

Standard Accessories for Canon EOS 500D

Eyecup Ef
Wide Neck Strap
AV Cable
USB Interface Cable
Battery Pack LP-E5
Battery Charger LC-E5
EOS Digital Solution CD
MANUAL

NOTE: NO MEMORY CARD OR CAMERA BAG IS SUPPLIED WITH THE CAMERA
NOTE:THE MANUAL OF THE CAMERA MIGHT BE PHOTOCOPY SINCE THESE ARE IMPORT PIECES.
Old 15th September 2009, 14:42   #1625
BHPian

for your critics

Hi Posting some pics from my D50 with Sigma 28-80 lens. Its my first hand experience without knowing much about camera. Now i have replaced Sigma with Nikon 18-55. All comments help me understanding the hobby.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-dsc_0395.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0538.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0577.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0583.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0579.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0587.jpg  

Old 15th September 2009, 19:42   #1626
Senior - BHPian

How much should I quote for Sony Alpha 200; 18-75 lens, Sony bag and Sony 2 GB memory card; one year old.
Old 15th September 2009, 20:13   #1627
Distinguished - BHPian

36k for the 500D with the kit lens seems too good to be true..esp. when the official mrp is around 52k. However, the street price for the camera kit with 2year canon india warranty can be anywhere between 45-50k.

@CRV: As it is cleary mentioned in the ebay link you posted the the camera is an imported one..you won't be getting any official canon india warranty..maybe a vendor warranty. So please confirm with the seller about the details. As for me I am happy that I spent 10K more but have peace of mind for 2 years..besides got a 4GB SDHC, a carry bag free and a tripod.

Though you might get a much better rate for an imported DSLR, unless you are in good terms with the seller or you are able to physically examine the unit before buying, I would not recommend buying such an item online.

The most common problems of buying from the grey market is getting a refurbished unit, duplicate battery, warranty as good as non existent etc.

So decide for yourself.
Old 15th September 2009, 20:50   #1628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
I was looking at EOS 500D and found this deal at ebay

eBay India: NEW CANON DSLR EOS 500D WITH 18-55mm IS LENS + WARRANTY (item 140345994867 end time 22-Sep-2009 09:30:00 IST)

The price is 36k, i just checked price of this Mr. Jayesh but there seems to be lots of difference in his price.

Do you people recommend buying this ? Though he says with bill & warranty and again in last he says the product is imported.

Standard Accessories for Canon EOS 500D

Eyecup Ef
Wide Neck Strap
AV Cable
USB Interface Cable
Battery Pack LP-E5
Battery Charger LC-E5
EOS Digital Solution CD
MANUAL

NOTE: NO MEMORY CARD OR CAMERA BAG IS SUPPLIED WITH THE CAMERA
NOTE:THE MANUAL OF THE CAMERA MIGHT BE PHOTOCOPY SINCE THESE ARE IMPORT PIECES.
The price seems too low to be true...works out to 750 usd...cheapest available in US is around 800 usd with lens. In taiwan it is 900 usd approx.

Also if the manual is xerox how can he give a company warranty.
Does not compute unless he is giving a personal warranty which may be meaningless
Old 15th September 2009, 21:00   #1629
TOR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
How much should I quote for Sony Alpha 200; 18-75 lens, Sony bag and Sony 2 GB memory card; one year old.

With the model already replaced with a new one the resale value on the 200 would be around the 15K-17K mark.

It would be better to get a brand new D40x for around 3K more.

Lens options on Sony DSLR's are limited.
Old 15th September 2009, 21:19   #1630
BHPian

Guys,

Can you help me decide which entry level DSLR to go for.
Nikon D3000 or Cannon EOD 1000D.

Some how I like Nikon better.
I'm no expert and would like to see how its like to get a DSLR.

I don't fancy spending much on the cam or for a lens at this time.

EDIT:

D3000

# 11 AF points vs 7 AF points
# Larger LCD screen, 3″ vs 2.5″

1000D

# Live view mode which allow you to use lcd screen to compose your shot.
# Currently, it is cheaper in market.

Last edited by yzfrj : 15th September 2009 at 21:32.
Old 15th September 2009, 22:53   #1631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
With the model already replaced with a new one the resale value on the 200 would be around the 15K-17K mark.

It would be better to get a brand new D40x for around 3K more.

Lens options on Sony DSLR's are limited.
The lens options for Sony Alpha may not be all that limited, please refer SONY/Minolta lenses.

There is quite a number of old Minolta lenses out there in the Maxxum mount and even more in the Rokkor MD/ MC mounts, available for very very cheap on ebay.

The only lens I wish Sony added to their line-up is a 35mm fast prime in the cost effective range, the current CZ of same specs is way too costly to even look at.

I do agree that finding lenses in India may pose a problem, but if one has the source abroad to buy and mail/carry, there is a great variety to chose from, namely, the old Minolta lenses, the Sony re-badged Minolta ones, then there is the entire Carl Zeiss range of excellent products (very high cost of course).
Even saying this, the Sony lenses are not that unavailable here in India, refer Shetala :: Products, page 5 onwards, a little pricey no doubt, but there are options available nonetheless.

I have come across numerous people trying to convert the mount of the old Minolta lenses to use on their Nikon and Canon SLR's, speaks for itself the quality of these old lenses.
I own two lenses of the Maxxum mount, purchased off ebay on my own, duty levied and delivered to India, still pretty good on the final price of the lens at the quality, one of them is about 23 years old, still going strong. The icing on the cake is that the Minolta Maxxum/ Sony Alpha range is in-body stabilized; so each and every lens put on the body is immediately image stabilized, a good deciding factor for me and I am sure could be for many of us, a good plus point there.

Personally, I am considering buying another lens and getting it converted as well, only on the lookout for a kind soul who would agree to work with me, utmost care needed to preserve the glass and of course he must own a machine shop

A sincere request to all, if anyone has info on used Minolta lenses in India, please do PM me. I am on the lookout for a 50mm F1.4/1.7 and if can be procured in India, will save me a bundle on the customs duty front.

Regards.
Old 16th September 2009, 00:58   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
36k for the 500D with the kit lens seems too good to be true..esp. when the official mrp is around 52k. However, the street price for the camera kit with 2year canon india warranty can be anywhere between 45-50k.

@CRV: As it is cleary mentioned in the ebay link you posted the the camera is an imported one..you won't be getting any official canon india warranty..maybe a vendor warranty. So please confirm with the seller about the details. As for me I am happy that I spent 10K more but have peace of mind for 2 years..besides got a 4GB SDHC, a carry bag free and a tripod.

Though you might get a much better rate for an imported DSLR, unless you are in good terms with the seller or you are able to physically examine the unit before buying, I would not recommend buying such an item online.

The most common problems of buying from the grey market is getting a refurbished unit, duplicate battery, warranty as good as non existent etc.

So decide for yourself.
thank you robi, i tried calling the seller & after few calls he responds. He first said its imported from US and said warranty is dealer warranty not from Canon. Later on he said that its an refurbished product from US. whew !! Ebay has lots of great sellers !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
The price seems too low to be true...works out to 750 usd...cheapest available in US is around 800 usd with lens. In taiwan it is 900 usd approx.

Also if the manual is xerox how can he give a company warranty.
Does not compute unless he is giving a personal warranty which may be meaningless
genesis thank you, though price seems to be good but its a imported one and doesn't come with canon warranty.
Old 18th September 2009, 05:34   #1633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Guys,

Can you help me decide which entry level DSLR to go for.
Nikon D3000 or Cannon EOD 1000D.

Some how I like Nikon better.
I'm no expert and would like to see how its like to get a DSLR.

I don't fancy spending much on the cam or for a lens at this time.

EDIT:

D3000

# 11 AF points vs 7 AF points
# Larger LCD screen, 3″ vs 2.5″

1000D

# Live view mode which allow you to use lcd screen to compose your shot.
# Currently, it is cheaper in market.

Get the 1000D. As for entry level DSLR's, canon is ideal as its a tad cheaper and little more user friendly compared to Nikon. Moreover, entry level lenses for canon are cheaper.

But since you are not interested in the finer nuances of photography and don't want to spend much on a camera..i believe you would much better off buying a semi DSLR or even a nice PnS instead of wasting money just to see how its like to get a DSLR.
Old 18th September 2009, 09:24   #1634
TOR
BHPian

The metering on the entry level Canon's are not upto mark as compared to the entry level Nikons.(the D1000 does not even have spot metering-personally a big no no).

The Nikon D3000 makes a great entry level camera.

About the lenses-well one gets what one pays for i guess!
Old 18th September 2009, 13:20   #1635
Senior - BHPian

+1 for that TOR. But by saying this I do not want to restart or ignite the Canon Vs Nikon debate..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
The metering on the entry level Canon's are not upto mark as compared to the entry level Nikons.(the D1000 does not even have spot metering-personally a big no no).

The Nikon D3000 makes a great entry level camera.

About the lenses-well one gets what one pays for i guess!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks