Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2009, 15:11   #2341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
anyone to answer my question please?
From what I see you are torn between the choice of a superzoom and an entry level DSLR without a hyper zoom. I think thats a pretty common dilemma for newbies and went through it myself. I went the Nikon D50 path instead of the S2IS that was the other choice in 2005. A few years and a few lenses later i am glad that I went the DSLR route so it is upto you to decide where you want to go to in the future. The DSLR route will be expensive as you will surely lust for better glass and accessories once you get used to its quality and will never look back to a P&S later as your main camera. So purely your choice and no one can really guide you to the proper path.
Old 27th November 2009, 15:14   #2342
Senior - BHPian

D3000 is what i liked, P90 is only a optional in the deal i am getting right now at black friday, so please suggest fastly,is D3000 a good choice to go

sparkled@ yes i do believe and think i would stick to entry level DSLR and not P&S, already have a canon D100 digital cam, and also i am getting an additional lens along with its carry bag and a memory card free in this deal, which seems to be of good choice.what say??

Last edited by vijaythacker : 27th November 2009 at 15:20. Reason: replied to sparkled's post.
Old 27th November 2009, 15:19   #2343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
D3000 is what i liked, P90 is only a optional in the deal i am getting right now at black friday, so please suggest fastly,is D3000 a good choice to go
Yes a DSLR should be a pretty safe way to go ahead for your photography. If you have the moolah very well go ahead but remember you will have to buy additional lenses to get the reach that the P90 offers.
Old 27th November 2009, 15:24   #2344
Senior - BHPian

i am not that professional nor having that good knowledge regarding camera's, love clicking them, and this time have a opportunity to buy a good cam, so asked you all, i know the difference between a DSLR and P&S camera, but then just for a starter ,would D3000 as i said would do the job as of now, without spending on lenses this very time, later on yes as by $$ permits i might go ahead as i learn more onit.
i am getting a set of lense free along with this D3000 on today's deal, will give you the details of lens along with MSD card.

Last edited by vijaythacker : 27th November 2009 at 15:26.
Old 27th November 2009, 16:16   #2345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I'd like to stick to Canon and getting their warranty also.
I use 1Ds Mark II.
Sorry i thought u were looking for after-market battery. But yeah INCA are fairly decent and i have used there batteries few times.

But i guess you get what you pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
A snoot will only concentrate the light on your subject and not really aid you to freeze your subject.
I give up

The reason why i said, its hard to get one`s head around it is because its opposite to what we usually do for capturing fast scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
The digiscopped shots using top DSLRs and top spotting scopes like the Kowa 883 and good quality astro scopes will be better or as good as the pictures taken by exotic 600 and 800 primes.
I have seen use of Scopes on old SLR`s as well as DSLR`s, but Sorry i will never agree on the topic that Spotting scopes are even close to real life performance offered by primes otherwise nikon/canon will stop producing these exotic lenses.

Thanks
Old 29th November 2009, 08:22   #2346
Senior - BHPian

sparkled and Rudrasir,
i have got nikon d3000 with w/18-55mm V R LENS, also getting another lens and cover for additional 100$ 70-300 MM VR ZOOM & COVER, is it a better buy and shal i go for this lens as well, please tell me.
Old 29th November 2009, 09:59   #2347
BHPian

HaHaHa!

Old 29th November 2009, 10:21   #2348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
sparkled and Rudrasir,
i have got nikon d3000 with w/18-55mm V R LENS, also getting another lens and cover for additional 100$ 70-300 MM VR ZOOM & COVER, is it a better buy and shal i go for this lens as well, please tell me.
Hi Vijay, I bought the D3000 yesterday. The deal was fairly good. I got the camera, 18-55mm Nikkor VR lens, 55-200mm Nikkor VR lens, Nikon bag for the cam with some Nikon tutorial, some Tiffen 52 mm UV filter at $621. Shipping free too.

Now, I'm very new to DSLRs. Have been fiddling with my 2.5 year old Sony DSC H2. I wanted to buy a advanced point and shoot. But decided for an entry level DSLR instead. I read many the reviews on the net. Most reviews say its good enough for someone whose new to DSLRs.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 29th November 2009 at 10:23.
Old 29th November 2009, 10:56   #2349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Hi Vijay, I bought the D3000 yesterday. The deal was fairly good. I got the camera, 18-55mm Nikkor VR lens, 55-200mm Nikkor VR lens, Nikon bag for the cam with some Nikon tutorial, some Tiffen 52 mm UV filter at $621. Shipping free too.

Now, I'm very new to DSLRs. Have been fiddling with my 2.5 year old Sony DSC H2. I wanted to buy a advanced point and shoot. But decided for an entry level DSLR instead. I read many the reviews on the net. Most reviews say its good enough for someone whose new to DSLRs.
hey thats a good news mate, i got same as well, but additional lens i was told dont buy this one right now,get used to the camera for a while and then buy additional better higher lens then 70-300, so as of now am not buying additional one, the deal i got for cam,bag, cover along with w18/55 VR lens for 460$.
Seems we'll be sharing some good initial information with each other righty.
Old 30th November 2009, 00:08   #2350
Distinguished - BHPian

I have almost decided to buy the SIGMA 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO LENS for Nikon mount ( Nikon D40X)

Can someone help me with answers to my queries

1. APO means vibration reduction..correct?

2. I got a quote for APO for 11K and non-APO for 7.8K for Nikon mount.

Are these good prices?

3. Finally, how the performance of APO and Non-APO? Will non-APO be decent enough or is it must that i should settle for the APO one?

Reason for honing down to this lens is looking for a decent telephoto-cum-macro at reasonable price.

Thanks !
Old 30th November 2009, 00:15   #2351
BHPian

VR (Nikon terminology) or IS (Canon terminology) is a must if you want to do hand held photography. Are you sure APO = VR/IS?

I don't think so. Look at this: Sigma - Lenses

Click on the APO icon and this popup opens - Lens Technology - SIGMA CORPORATION

You can see that in Sigma terms, OS = VR/IS. And the SIGMA 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO LENS does NOT have OS.

Can any of the experts confirm this? I would be very interested as I also am looking to but a budget telephoto lens for my Canon 1000d

This one seems to have OS - Sigma - Lenses

Last edited by Proxima : 30th November 2009 at 00:22.
Old 30th November 2009, 00:48   #2352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I have almost decided to buy the SIGMA 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO LENS for Nikon mount ( Nikon D40X)

Can someone help me with answers to my queries

1. APO means vibration reduction..correct?

2. I got a quote for APO for 11K and non-APO for 7.8K for Nikon mount.

Are these good prices?

3. Finally, how the performance of APO and Non-APO? Will non-APO be decent enough or is it must that i should settle for the APO one?

Reason for honing down to this lens is looking for a decent telephoto-cum-macro at reasonable price.

Thanks !
Go for it Avi , its a worthy buy for 11k . Get practicing on the manual focusing though , I've heard this lens aint good at fast shutter speeds.

Have you checked with Tokyo Japan Centre ? Im sure if 11k is MRP , you could get yourself a decent price over there well under 9 k .
Old 30th November 2009, 01:01   #2353
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Proxima for clarification. I dont think APO means Vibration reduction but reduction in chromatic color disperse reduction or something complicated like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Go for it Avi , its a worthy buy for 11k . Get practicing on the manual focusing though , I've heard this lens aint good at fast shutter speeds.

Have you checked with Tokyo Japan Centre ? Im sure if 11k is MRP , you could get yourself a decent price over there well under 9 k .
Those quotes are from Tokyo Japan, me and Nazim were there yesterday and thats the best price. He confirmed Sigma are better than Tamaron and does not even stock these lenses, but can get on order.
Old 30th November 2009, 01:25   #2354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks Proxima for clarification. I dont think APO means Vibration reduction but reduction in chromatic color disperse reduction or something complicated like that.

Those quotes are from Tokyo Japan, me and Nazim were there yesterday and thats the best price. He confirmed Sigma are better than Tamaron and does not even stock these lenses, but can get on order.
Yaar , Tokyo Japan is messing about with you . The lens is available for 10.6k on smartshopper website itself . try and get KK to speak to one of his HPC friends and seek some info on who's name to quote or something in those lines. DO NOT buy from him at 11k.
Old 30th November 2009, 12:22   #2355
BHPian

Excellent post IT!

I always enjoy your comments and your encyclopedic knowledge (and daring to go where no man has gone before: scanner camera indeed!).

Question
Would you say that m43 would meet 90% requirements of most first timer DSLR users? And more enjoyment of the experience?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks