Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2010, 17:15   #2701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Have a question - will a 50mm primes lens (EF 50mm) be 50mm on a APS-C mount? Or will the 1.6x crop factor apply to it?
It's ~80m on an APS-C body.
Review and more info: Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Old 7th January 2010, 17:20   #2702
BHPian

Quote:
Have a question - will a 50mm primes lens (EF 50mm) be 50mm on a APS-C mount? Or will the 1.6x crop factor apply to it?
Every lens meant for DSLR comes with focal lenght with respect to Full Frame, even the dx lenses.

When the lens is added to a sensor smaller or larger than Full Frame, it is multiplied by the crop factor.

For example a 50mm lens will behave as following:-

Full Frame - 50mm x 1 = 50mm
Apc 1.6 - 50mm x 1.6 = 80mm
Apc 1.5 - 50mm x 1.5 = 75mm
Aph 1.3 - 50mm x 1.3 = 65mm
Leica 1.33 - 50mm x 1.33 = 66.5mm
Foneon x3 1.7 - 50mm x 1.7 = 85mm
4/3 - 50mm x 2.0 = 100mm
M4/3 - 50mm x 2.0 = 100mm

Cheers
Old 7th January 2010, 17:26   #2703
Senior - BHPian

So, in other words, if want a 50mm equivalent for a T1i, I should actually be buying a 35mm (31.25mm is not in ) lens, or focus to 32 mm using my kit lens. Am I right?
Old 7th January 2010, 17:49   #2704
BHPian

Quote:
So, in other words, if want a 50mm equivalent for a T1i, I should actually be buying a 35mm (31.25mm is not in ) lens, or focus to 32 mm using my kit lens. Am I right?
You can get Sigma 30mm f1.4 which is a decent lens. Or you can be smart and get Canon 28mm f1.8EF or Nikon 35mm f1.8 AFS DX for cheaper price.

Cheers
Old 7th January 2010, 20:40   #2705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post

Well u can stack as many filters as u wish to, just make sure Cpl goes first on the lens.

On the side note, rather than buying GND or ND circular filters, i suggest get Cokin P series, it gives crazy amount of options and Welding glass makes the best-cheapest ND10 filter as long as you use custom white balance.

Cheers
Are cokin's available in india i havent been able to locate even a simple hoya/tiffen grad ND for my 17-40 .
Old 7th January 2010, 22:47   #2706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Are cokin's available in india i havent been able to locate even a simple hoya/tiffen grad ND for my 17-40 .
Got no idea where to look in india but here are some links where you can get cokin stuff.

Try BHphoto, they are quite good and ship overseas.
Adorama also has fair bit of used Cokin filters and holders.

But the best will be Ebay international. There are quite few Cokin duplicates available and you can buy a duplicate holder since it just a piece of metal milled out and molded plastic.

Lee used to give out free Swatch booklets which they stopped now. Its still available through dealers for free if u ask nicely but not on the website anymore. This is how i use these with my strobes. These swatch booklets provide amazing amount of ligh creativity and Color correction for free.

If your serious about ND filters then just get a lens ring for Cokin P series from ebay.Put double sided tape on the outside and adhere any welding glass on it. As long as you do manual focus and custom white balance, it should be all good.

Cheers
Old 8th January 2010, 04:27   #2707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can get Sigma 30mm f1.4 which is a decent lens. Or you can be smart and get Canon 28mm f1.8EF or Nikon 35mm f1.8 AFS DX for cheaper price.

Cheers
Whoa! These lens cost multiple times that of the nifty fifty!! It'd be better off with the 50mm prime, even if it is 80mm equiv in my camera
Old 8th January 2010, 08:02   #2708
BHPian

Quote:
Whoa! These lens cost multiple times that of the nifty fifty!! It'd be better off with the 50mm prime, even if it is 80mm equiv in my camera
I seriously thought Nikon/Canon were cheap compared to Sigma but then again i am thinking Aus retail price.

And 50mm f1.8 are designed to be used aroun f5.6 while these suckers can be used wide open and still get full sharpness.

Cheers

Last edited by it_inspector : 8th January 2010 at 08:03.
Old 8th January 2010, 09:01   #2709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I seriously thought Nikon/Canon were cheap compared to Sigma but then again i am thinking Aus retail price.

And 50mm f1.8 are designed to be used aroun f5.6 while these suckers can be used wide open and still get full sharpness.

Cheers
The best deals I can find in the US-

Sigma 30mm f1.4 - $439
Canon EF 28mm f1.8 - $499.95
..and my camera being a T1i, The Nikon 35mm is not going to work, but that was up for $259.

The nifty fifty is up for grabs for $89.95 - and am a beginner who has just had his first DSLR. I would settle with the 50mm EF for now, I dont wont to burn huge holes in the purse yet
Old 8th January 2010, 09:46   #2710
Senior - BHPian

That nifty fifty is worth having in the kit not for AOV just coz its cheap! Its too cheap not to have it in the kit.
Old 8th January 2010, 09:53   #2711
BHPian

Quote:
The best deals I can find in the US-

Sigma 30mm f1.4 - $439
Canon EF 28mm f1.8 - $499.95
..and my camera being a T1i, The Nikon 35mm is not going to work, but that was up for $259.

The nifty fifty is up for grabs for $89.95 - and am a beginner who has just had his first DSLR. I would settle with the 50mm EF for now, I dont wont to burn huge holes in the purse yet
Well the prices sound about right. I put Nikon 35mm for the benefit of nikon users.

And dont bother about holes, this hobby burns ur purse/wallet
Old 8th January 2010, 11:13   #2712
Senior - BHPian

gurus, need help in CPL, it may sound dumb .

I received mine yesterday, Hoya Pro1 Digital. Have not used it much, but have one confusion
When I see through in from naked eye and rotate the edge, I can see it getting light or dark.

But when I put it on to the lens, and look through viewfinder or LCD, I see no effect of rotating the filter edge, though exposure metering does goes up or down while rotating.

Do I have to take the picture to see the effect and then adjust.

Ho do I actually use it ?
Old 8th January 2010, 11:23   #2713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I received mine yesterday, Hoya Pro1 Digital. Have not used it much, but have one confusion
When I see through in from naked eye and rotate the edge, I can see it getting light or dark.
But when I put it on to the lens, and look through viewfinder or LCD, I see no effect of rotating the filter edge, though exposure metering does goes up or down while rotating.
I have a 62mm Hoya CPL. when I look through it and rotate it, I can see the reflections getting cut at some angle. The same is the case when I attach it to the lens and rotate it.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be seeing the effect of CPL while rotating it while attached to the lens. May be you are not noticing it.

BTW, I have noticed that it cuts the reflections when used only in one direction. If you flip the CPL and look through it and rotate, you won't be seeing the same effect. I am not sure this is the case with all CPLs, at least that's how mine shows) So, have you attached it to the lens with the wrong surface facing outside? (Unlikely)

Last edited by clevermax : 8th January 2010 at 11:27.
Old 8th January 2010, 14:09   #2714
Senior - BHPian

My friend is going to buy a D700 + MB-10 next week after trading his D200 + grip from the grey (chandni chowk).

I found out the rates:

D700 body - 1.13L

MB-10 - around 10-11K

The grey market guy has valued the D200 around 20K without having seen it. The final price shall be decided after having a look at the condition. Its grip is what is the stumbling block. Being specific to D200 finding buyers is difficult.
Old 8th January 2010, 15:54   #2715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post

Cpl filter is quite simple to attach and use. Point of a Cpl filter is to remove reflected light. Ideally polarise the light into one direction. Usually Linear polarisers are used.

Try it outside preferably on a beach or anyplace with lots of water with clear sky. Put the filter on the lens and view though the finder. Rotate the filter and you should see reflections disappearing from the water.

Of you can try it on a car with reflections on the windows. As you rotate the filter, reflections should disappear from whole car but these will be obvious mostly on the windows to the untrained eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
BTW, I have noticed that it cuts the reflections when used only in one direction. If you flip the CPL and look through it and rotate, you won't be seeing the same effect. I am not sure this is the case with all CPLs, at least that's how mine shows) So, have you attached it to the lens with the wrong surface facing outside? (Unlikely)
No Cpl filter will reverse the effect by reversing it, simple reason being light is getting polarised as it passes from outside to inside. When you reverse the filter, it acts as a bad ND filter.

One can use 2 cpl filters stacked on top of each other with one filter reversed and it acts as a adjustable ND filter but it ruins hue and sharpness. RGB channel need major adjustments so, i am highly against it but people do what they want to. I would suggest getting welding glass and using it with custom white balance than stacking-reversing 2 cpl filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
My friend is going to buy a D700 + MB-10 next week after trading his D200 + grip from the grey (chandni chowk).

I found out the rates:

D700 body - 1.13L

MB-10 - around 10-11K

The grey market guy has valued the D200 around 20K without having seen it. The final price shall be decided after having a look at the condition. Its grip is what is the stumbling block. Being specific to D200 finding buyers is difficult.
Ebay international is the answer. Alot of nikon users want to jump into D200, so there should be no issue selling it quickly and it should net well above 20K depending upon the condition.

Cheers

Most Viewed