Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2009, 21:22   #376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
In 25000, you won't get a camera + lens to do wildlife. Better go with an ultra zoom point and shoot.
I second this. Maybe you can go for the P80 or the Canon SX110IS.
Old 19th January 2009, 01:37   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
What are the options available with me?
I would suggest you go in for the Nikon D40 and get a cheap tamron 70-300. But what would happen then is you will start loving the camera and photography in general, and then you would regret not getting a better body. I suggest you get a Canon 450D first, you can get that with kit lens for about 30,000~32,000 Rupees with the 18-55 kit lens, then wait for a couple of months (use the camera ofcourse, you can even borrow lenses from friends) and then eventually get a nice tele lens for your wildlife escapades.

Trust me every penny would be worth it, you *CANNOT* compare the picture quality (please dont talk megapixels) with point and shoots, and the 450D has live view as well (which allows you to see what you are shooting on the LCD like normal POS cams) so anyone can use it, you can even use it for normal family photos as well.

Bump up your budget and get a 450D!
Old 19th January 2009, 09:42   #378
Senior - BHPian

^^D40+ tamron 70-300 means no autofocus. Not really much fun to shoot wildlife without autofocus. By the time you are done manual focussing, the subject would have moved.
Old 19th January 2009, 10:42   #379
Team-BHP Support

Ok guys me picked up Canon 450D over the weekend, helped by a dear ol friend with a 2GB card. Now slowly going through the intricacies of DSLR while stepping into the world of D Photography
Old 19th January 2009, 10:53   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Ok guys me picked up Canon 450D over the weekend, helped by a dear ol friend with a 2GB card. Now slowly going through the intricacies of DSLR while stepping into the world of D Photography
Congratulations Jaggu! What lens did you go for?
Old 19th January 2009, 10:59   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Jaggu ... Happy clicking. Planning to pick up a 450D too. From your smiley, I guess I can safely assume that your dear ol friend got it for you at an awesome cost
Old 19th January 2009, 11:07   #382
BHPian

Congrats!

Quote:
Congrats Jaggu! Do let us know how you are finding the cam. I'm planning to take one next month!
Old 19th January 2009, 11:09   #383
Team-BHP Support

thanks guys.

@amitoj: i am an absolute beginner so starting up with just the kit lens for now. Upgrade will be after some time once i get used to DSLR Just added a hood for the lens thats all.

@Rufroc: cost is same as quoted here, but i went with his judgment for the reliability factor.

@saleem: Yup will update, planning to have my first venture coming weekend, lets see how it goes.
Old 19th January 2009, 11:19   #384
BHPian

Congrats Jaggu, Welcome to the club.

Read the manual completely especially with respect to LiveView before using the same.
18-15IS Lens right, let me know how the IS holds up for low-light macro shots.

2GB card? barely enough to hold the pics buddy, get a 8GB HDSC soon.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 19th January 2009 at 11:21.
Old 19th January 2009, 11:30   #385
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
2GB card? barely enough to hold the pics buddy, get a 8GB HDSC soon.
That greatly depends on how many one is shooting in one go. Leave alone the capture size.

Besides, is it a very good idea to keep them on card? Or is it better to shift them on hard disk?
Old 19th January 2009, 11:41   #386
Team-BHP Support

yup 18-55 IS lens, i am not very fond of live view though hooking up the lappy and shooting seemed interesting for me. I wish i had a fully motorized tripod which also can be hooked up 2GB will hold 115 RAW shots which is more than enough for my usage for now, good thing i have a hard disc which can be used to transfer the pics in case of emergency. Thanks for reminding i have to hook the disc up also.

Low-light macro shots i tried while holding with hand, difficult but doable (while experimenting around), will check how it behaves with IS "ON" and "OFF", priority is to figure out regular shooting first LOL. Page number 79 of manual and counting, after reading the advanced functions repeatedly, things are becoming clearer in my cloudy head.

For the time being i have limited the shooting to the show pieces at home and my pet dog. Oh yeah experimental night shot of a flyover came out well (using a very crude tripod), need to do some tweaking around with the software and then post up. The problem is i have to work for a living also, so time factor, dang!

One thing i can say, THIS is a very good time pass and an expensive hobby to have lol. Wish list: Bigger lens, bigger screen for post shoot editing. You get the drift
Old 19th January 2009, 11:50   #387
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to your first Money Pit Jaggu! I have two money pits, dSLR and the Jeep.
Old 19th January 2009, 12:57   #388
BHPian

hi guys,
Just got into this world. I bought a D40 with a 18 to 55mm Nikkor lens plus a 55 to 200mm Nikkor VR lens. Pretty entry level setup, I must say, but i guess i will buy a better body later, as time passes and the need arises...

Initial feelings:
Enjoying in experimenting with the controls. At 18mm, the photos are good, but there is a slight distortion around the edges. This actually gives a good effect, but was wondering if you guys have any thoughts about that.

Image stabilization definitely helps a lot at full zoom (200mm). I tried a few with and without, and usually the ones with VR were better. However, i need to experiment more to see where VR is helpful and where it is not.

Indoor photography: Found at f4.5, there is a very narrow depth of field compared to my point and shoot. The same setting on my point and shoot (F4.5) results in a much more wider depth of field.

Will report more as I find out more. Currently looking for a camera case. Any thoughts?
Old 19th January 2009, 18:30   #389
Team-BHP Support

Congratz deep_bang the quality of DSLR is way ahead of point and shoot any day, no comparison there. Do go through the manual as they say, it has loads of info and tips that can come in real handy.
Old 19th January 2009, 18:40   #390
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
At 18mm, the photos are good, but there is a slight distortion around the edges. This actually gives a good effect, but was wondering if you guys have any thoughts about that.
That's the barrel distortion you're talking about. No, it won't go unless you shift to expensive block lenses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks