Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 11:49   #5716
BHPian

Many thanks Amitk26. The seller is a trustworthy friend. So honestly am not concerned about the mint condition part. If he says, it should be. Still I will check the points you have mentioned. I am more concerned about the price point and the cameras currency. Newer ones are far more advanced in electronics. But then thats not what a camera is meant for. Do the MP matter? This one, if I am not wrong, is a 6mp camera.

If someone can help on that, it will be great!
Old 7th December 2010, 12:47   #5717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
I am not a guru but i can answer your question.

This is how you calculate the effective focal length
50mm on a APS-C sensor is 80mm (1.6 x 50mm = 80mm)
50mm on a full frame is 50mm itself.

The same lens would appear to be wider on the 5D MkII.
So, 50mm is equal to 31mm on APS-C size. Thanks for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Pawan the 50mm lens is the most versitile lens and its loved by one and all, the reason is, it is a lens which replicates or sees exactly what you see with your eyes, so you dont have to look through the camera to compose.

This is a lens which would give you amazing lowlight pics at the same time act as a wide angle lens as well. You will know what you were missing once you get a full frame DSLR. 18mm kit lens will give you great wide angle shots unlike a crop sensor. Some day i wish to upgrade to a full frame DSLR, provided i sill have this hobby.

Pramod
I think photography is now in my blood , that is the reason I am upgrading to 5D M2 . These days your images are rare on image thread, what happened?
Old 7th December 2010, 13:29   #5718
Senior - BHPian

is there any thread where i can get basic DSLR info without getting more confused.
  • various terms
  • good brands of camera
  • different lenses & their use (with reference pictures taken using them)
  • approx prices
@ mods please compile all the basic info in a single post so that we don't have to go trough all 384+ pages.

Last edited by jeepster : 7th December 2010 at 13:37.
Old 7th December 2010, 13:31   #5719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
No 50mm is always 50mm focal length never changes.

As focal plane ( sensor) is smaller in APS-C the image projected is equivalent to what an 80mm would project on sensor of FF (50X1.6 = 80mm ).
Or simplifying focal length is always same In terms of angle of vison you will get on APS-C you need to multiply it by 1.6 ( canon ) and 1.5( nikon) to get the effective focal length.

So on your APS-C cam you are getting what others get with 80mm on full frame if you buy full frame you will see real 50mm.

Last edited by amitk26 : 7th December 2010 at 13:45.
Old 7th December 2010, 13:51   #5720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
is there any thread where i can get basic DSLR info without getting more confused.
  • various terms
  • good brands of camera
  • different lenses & their use (with reference pictures taken using them)
  • approx prices
@ mods please compile all the basic info in a single post so that we don't have to go trough all 384+ pages.
For learning you can refer well known siteGlossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review

Good brands/Camera is subjective. Whats good for one isn't good for others. May be after you have basic idea o DSLR, you will be able to see which one is best suited for immediate need/use.

The above site has recent lens reviewed. I would suggest this site is most unbiased site on net. you can start froth there, and ask specific questions, pundits here will surely help you out.
Old 7th December 2010, 13:52   #5721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think that calculation is only applicable to Germany
This calculation is discussed over and over and the topic is buried now !

Quote:
is there any thread where i can get basic DSLR info without getting more confused........please compile all the basic info in a single post so that we don't have to go trough all 384+ pages.
'Getting confused' is a subjective term, answers here will depend upon clarity in your question. If I post a question like "I want a DSLR, please help", answers could be confusing. But if the question is "I want a DSLR, my budget is XXXk and my interest is XXXXX and my frequency of using will be XXXXX, then the answer will be crisp and to the point ! Hope I am not confusing you now
Old 7th December 2010, 16:31   #5722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I have read that its not too stellar on a digital body. But I had the opportunity to use one when I was in the USA and as expected it was not too great near abouts wide open, but was brilliant stopped down. People rave about this lens on a film body. A lot of lenses including the very good 24mm is also a digital victim and the 28 and the 24 were very popular and sharp lenses during the good old film days.
Im glad you agree Sparkled. May I posit a theory - As DSLRs move to full frame the 28/2.8 Ais is going to gain in prominence because it's still an awesome lens and much better than the modern 28 AF Nikon makes. Cropped sensor digital killed the 28mm and 24mm perspective. That will change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I originally posted a question seeking opinion on a Kiron 105mm Macro lens which I was getting, I missed it because could not take decision in time as it was not cheap and someone here suggested Nikkor :-) now there was simply no Nikkor Macro in that era ( 1950 to 1975 ) which could be considered a competition for that lens. With this background it should be clear that consideration was vintage manual focus lens which are still useful and optically match / outperform modern digital lenses.

I've come to the conclusion that you are prone to inaccurate, sweeping generalizations. Whatever the earlier context of your discussion, your post about the Nikon 28mm was wrong. My answer was to that. And you'd be wrong when you say the 28/2.8 Ais is not a good performer on digital. Here is proof - NRFOTO Bjrn Rrslett (a perfect score on cropped sensor and full frame digital).
Incidentally, the Micro Nikkor 55/3.5 was first sold in 1961. Its an entirely subjective opinion whether it can compete with the lens you mention. But to say there were no macro lenses from Nikon at the time would be wrong.

Google is your best friend and I am sure you will find correct links if you search for manual focus 28mm F2.8 or 28 F1.4 or 24mm comparison tests

And I suggest you use it before giving inaccurate information. I also happen to provide links to back up what I'm saying but I haven't seen a single one from you.

Please search on these lenses on net or visit some vintage dealer you will be pleased , Carl Zeiss Jena was East German where as Carl Zeiss was in west Germany , Contex is legendary film camera.

I am not simply rich enough to buy all the contex , Schnider and CZJ but that does not mean that they are not good.

Go to some forums like MF lenses forum and check opinion and images if you like.

No wonder I'm confused, perhaps its Contax with an A that you are talking about and not Contex. You really need to do your research on the internet a lot better. And just like Contex, I'd never heard of Ashai either. Asahi is a different matter.

Laugh as much as you like but fact is that Nikon and Canon were not in same league in MF era as others they were considered amateur stuff and not serious pro , In a war situation whatever equipment is available cheaply is used and to an extent the Nikons and Canons found respect after press used them.

Yeah, it's the cheapness of the cameras that did it for pros in a war situation and not their bullet-proof (pun intended) reliability.

May be I messed up between 1.4 and 2.8 in long chain but that does not change the basic point.

As I've pointed out, that's not the only thing you messed up on. Please be a little conservative with your advice. Perhaps you know a lot about Kirons, Chinons etc. you should restrict your advice to those and not mouth off on makes you know little about. People read this site for the quality of its information, not wild, uninformed discussion.

Last edited by StarScream : 7th December 2010 at 16:34. Reason: grammar
Old 7th December 2010, 16:40   #5723
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ mods[/b] please compile all the basic info in a single post so that we don't have to go trough all 384+ pages.
I have to get into a meeting in few minutes, can you please do it yourself and PM the summary to me. Much obliged!
Old 7th December 2010, 17:06   #5724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think photography is now in my blood , that is the reason I am upgrading to 5D M2 . These days your images are rare on image thread, what happened?
Yes the reason is i dont have a PC where i am now.

Pramod
Old 7th December 2010, 17:11   #5725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Incidentally, the Micro Nikkor 55/3.5 was first sold in 1961. Its an entirely subjective opinion whether it can compete with the lens you mention. But to say there were no macro lenses from Nikon at the time would be wrong.

Google is your best friend and I am sure you will find correct links if you search for manual focus 28mm F2.8 or 28 F1.4 or 24mm comparison tests

And I suggest you use it before giving inaccurate information. I also happen to provide links to back up what I'm saying but I haven't seen a single one from you
Chill dude about Nikkor but it is my view that if you see price versus performance Nikkor AIS is not a very good choice, each to his own.

Thanks for correcting spelling of Contax with an A.
And it is not internet research actually I have tried a contax lens , a schneider kreuznach along with few others including Nikkor at an old lens shop specializing in film cameras at Namdemun Market in Seoul on my Canon DSLR and was blown by results of Contax and Schneider but then did not feel like paying the money :-) as it as sky high and could not justify price myself. Also you need to know prices and bargain there.

After this I was attracted to MF and acquired couple of MF lenses and enjoying them, One of them is still under shipping which I expect to be delivered anything from 60 to 90 days by post going by past experience.

I have no problem with your choice of Nikkor but will not spend my money on Nikkor AIS from used market until it is coming quite cheap. Also the lens for which I solicited opinon was 105mm F2.8 1:1 macro so don't know how 55mm f3.5 qualifies as a replacement but anyway my mistake I posted something unusual in this august forum

check out one set of images which I took using Takumar below.
This is not necessarily best of this lens due to my limited expertise in manual focusing and on moving objects.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2164434

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2164430

About the links for MF comparison no I will not bite the bait and prolong this here.
Please do a search yourself.

Last edited by amitk26 : 7th December 2010 at 17:22.
Old 7th December 2010, 18:44   #5726
Senior - BHPian

Star and Amit, are you going to take over this space over some pre-world war products that nobody has seen nor intends to buy ? Lets talk about whats available in the showrooms/shops or whats going to be available in the coming weeks
Old 7th December 2010, 18:59   #5727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Star and Amit, are you going to take over this space over some pre-world war products that nobody has seen nor intends to buy ? Lets talk about whats available in the showrooms/shops or whats going to be available in the coming weeks
well I admitted my mistake in previous post chapter is closed. Now will only post images in the other thread using these beauties.

Seeing lack of response there I think they may not be any good either so may stop them as well. I don't know there was something in them which made me pay more then what I would have paid for somthing available in showrooms :-)
Old 7th December 2010, 19:17   #5728
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Star and Amit, are you going to take over this space over some pre-world war products that nobody has seen nor intends to buy ?
They are more like pre-gulf war or pre-Vietnam war products.

Ok, I too think the debate has been stretched long enough to become stale. Let's get back to digital world.
Old 7th December 2010, 20:00   #5729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have to get into a meeting in few minutes, can you please do it yourself and PM the summary to me. Much obliged!
Hope you got it already, waiting to read the whole thread in one post

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
...Seeing lack of response there I think they may not be any good ...
The usual fun is no more there dear, people are too busy clicking I think. I liked the second set which you posted, they are sharp and nice !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They are more like pre-gulf war or pre-Vietnam war products.....
Agreed ! Back to digital era
Old 7th December 2010, 20:13   #5730
BHPian

Event - Dance performance
Situation - Focus lights with multiple colors
Issue - How to set white balance in this scenario, I generally do the preset mode in which I use a grey/white subject (wall,sheet of paper, etc.) to set the white balance

Guys...any solution?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks