Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2011, 19:48   #6961
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP. View Post
@Amitk- so are all SDXC cards class 10? what is the difference between a SDXC card and SDHC card?
SDXC is a new specification altogether with a compatibility to accommodate older SD and SDHC cards.

SDXC has far exceeded the class specification of SD association which was meant for SDHC so technically you can call all of them Class 10 but it carries no meaning still the Class specification is so deeply rooted in buyers psychology that marketing does not want to abandon it probably.

The max capacity of SDXC is 2 TB and max speed as per specification is 300MB /sec ( 2400 mbps). Currently UHS-1 ( Ultra High Speed -1) upto 104 MB/sec is available and largest available capability is 64GB.

For SDXC upto 64GB no change in hardware controller is required and it can be supported with driver change in the device but for SDXC above 64GB change in SDXC controller is required at chip-set level

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP. View Post
Check this site - jjmehta.com eShop

Its specifies SDXC cards @ 15MBPS and SDHC cards( extreme type) @ 20MBPS. So shouldn't I go for SDHC Extreme then?
[/quote]

Well you should depend on what SD Card association says and not jjmehta
SDXC - SD Association

As far as I know Sandisk is one company responsible for confusion , When specifications were being freezed there were lots of differences between various companies but finally they agreed on some common ground.
Sandisk already had a SDHC at 45MB/sec which they tried to push in SD association as next standard but failed since they were ahead they are selling this as SDHC UHS-1 card ( at 45 MB/sec) and not SDXC due to interface implementation.
There is another Sandisk card which is much better it is SDHC UHS-1 at 45 MB/sec. You can use this card in exising cameras which do not support SDXC as well
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+UHS-1&x=0&y=0

Sandisk implemented 64GB SDXC card at lower access speed and and technically they call it SDXC because the access specification is as per standard interface. Speed is still UHS-1 because anything up to 104 MB/sec is UHS-1 so even 15 MB/sec fits the criteria of UHS-1.
This card can not be used in older cameras which do not support SDXC example Canon 500D

The fastest SDXC in market is Kingston at 64 MB/sec but very costly and they label as Class 10 not UHS-1 fpr reasons best known to them.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Class...2273066&sr=8-4

I am sure Mr.Mehta may not be knowing nuances of SD/SDHC/SDXC himself.

Last edited by amitk26 : 8th April 2011 at 20:09.
Old 8th April 2011, 22:55   #6962
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
If you don't have moolah to spend then be patient and don't use camera as assault rifle.
I have a very different reason to "not use camera as assault rifle". Finding the right picture amongst 200 pictures is a headache.
Old 9th April 2011, 04:21   #6963

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
DSLRs have sensors larger than even the professional camcorders (Sony EX-3)! This allows low light operations, a wider dynamic range and a beautiful shallow depth of field like you see in photographs ("blurring the background"). Even the biggest and baddest of pro camcorders -- the RED camera, with its 4K resolution (4,480×1,920) -- has a sensor whose size is same as that of a full frame DSLR camera.[/url]
Actually Ex1/Ex3 have very good low light operation only surpassed by Z7 but then one only gets 1080i output in HDV. And EX1/Ex3 sensors beat any DSLR present on the market bar MF backs. Same can be said for shallow DOF, very few (and i mean less than 0.5%) of the scenes require more than F2.8

If i have to chalk up my experience, EX1/EX3 are beaten only by F3 which starts at 30K without accessories but it does include 3 primes which are quite good.
Old 9th April 2011, 07:23   #6964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muditgrover View Post
Hello Guys,

I own a Nikon D70 and the Sigma 18-55 lens.

I would like to buy another lens. Which one should I buy? Sigma 70-300 or a wide lens?

Please suggest.

Thanks
Frankly, it depends on why you want to do and your budget. In terms of the 70 - 300 mm range, Nikon and Tamron are better alternatives than the Sigma. Tamron 70 - 300 mm VC USD is considered one of the better lenses in this range and costs lesser than the Nikon and Canon equivalents. It is a good contender, if you want to consider it.

Regards
Prasad
Old 9th April 2011, 09:37   #6965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
Frankly, it depends on why you want to do and your budget. In terms of the 70 - 300 mm range, Nikon and Tamron are better alternatives than the Sigma. Tamron 70 - 300 mm VC USD is considered one of the better lenses in this range and costs lesser than the Nikon and Canon equivalents. It is a good contender, if you want to consider it.

Regards
Prasad
+1 to that.
Tamron 70-300 VC, the 300mm is sharper and the VC is amazingly good.
1/30 at 300mm no problem! Focusing is fast and dead on.

Nikon 70-300 VR does have warmer color on the lens, while Tamron is cooler color.

Sharpness. Tamron is sharper at 300mm.

Also, the Tamron is much cheaper than the Nikon.
Old 9th April 2011, 11:11   #6966
BHPian

Guys, Nikon d3100 for 29999Rs or Canon 550D for 35999Rs , which will be the best buy? I am novice and would like to seek advice from experts
Old 9th April 2011, 17:58   #6967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikxsans660 View Post
+1 to that.
Tamron 70-300 VC, the 300mm is sharper and the VC is amazingly good.
Here is an example from the lens. The softness is because I have cropped the original. But, to get this with a 300mm lens, I would say is a good result.

Craters clearly visible.

Again, not a great image by any stretch of imagination - Just shot it to show capability of the lens.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-dpp_0001.jpg  

Old 9th April 2011, 23:54   #6968
BHPian

Just noticed flipkart is now carrying SLR lens too

Lenses Price List in India | Flipkart
Old 10th April 2011, 03:52   #6969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post

Lenses Price List in India | Flipkart
Would say the prices are very high. Avoidable actually.

Canon EF-S 15-85 mm IS USM is available for 700 AUD over here - approx Rs. 30,000. Out of this Rs. 3,000 will be back in your hand if you consider GST returns.

Price in the website shows this lens for Rs. 56,000 - Slightly more than double.

Other lenses also have a similar disparity in prices. Wonder why so many firms have this attitude towards India.

Apple is deplorable when you consider that they launch their products in India just days before the next version is going to be released across the world. Even this is released at twice the normal price and well over the price of the next version of the product at other locations in the world.

Wonder when will they put an end to this disparity.

Cheers
Prasad
Old 10th April 2011, 10:17   #6970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Thats a nice information, so far I was thinking smartshoppers were offering the best prices in India, but flipkart is beating them to death with lower prices. Just an example: D700 body smartshopper 126140 with shipping and flipkart at 116099 with free shipping . Thats more than 9.8k difference. I checked few lenses too, choices are narrow, but prices are much lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
Would say the prices are very high. Avoidable actually....Canon EF-S 15-85 mm IS USM is available for 700 AUD over here - approx Rs. 30,000. Out of this Rs. 3,000 will be back in your hand if you consider GST returns......
I have no idea when you will stop this AUD comparison here. No soul is benefiting out of that according to me. Indian grey prices are in par with the US grey prices and there is no point taking the trouble of bringing things from out when there are compromises on warranty, service etc for many things bought there. Shipping is anyway out of question as one will end up paying more than the MRP here. For people to benefit out of the so called GST and stuff, one should be travelling or have someone travelling.
Old 10th April 2011, 11:03   #6971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
Guys, Nikon d3100 for 29999Rs or Canon 550D for 35999Rs , which will be the best buy? I am novice and would like to seek advice from experts
I am no expert, and making a grand assumption that it is price that is a prime consideration, the choice is obvious - Canon 550D.
Old 10th April 2011, 11:05   #6972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Thats a nice information, so far I was thinking smartshoppers were offering the best prices in India, but flipkart is beating them to death with lower prices. Just an example: D700 body smartshopper 126140 with shipping and flipkart at 116099 with free shipping . Thats more than 9.8k difference. I checked few lenses too, choices are narrow, but prices are much lower.
Yes, I noticed the same. I have requested them to sell Tokina, Sigma & Tamron Lenses too other than Nikon & Canon. Hope they will shortly
Old 10th April 2011, 21:18   #6973
Team-BHP Support

Any D7000 users here? Was thinking about jumping ship from canon
Old 10th April 2011, 22:35   #6974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Any D7000 users here? Was thinking about jumping ship from canon
I think there is one. Several pages back. But why do you want to jump ship. The 60D is a pretty capable camera in my opinion. Competes pretty well with the D7000.
Old 10th April 2011, 22:47   #6975
Senior - BHPian

Serious? tell me what you want: Flickr: nikhilbhaskaran's Photostream is my friend. he can guide you in depth. He moved up from a D50 to D90 to D7000.

@TON - he has a 350D

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks