Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2011, 23:48   #6976
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Serious? tell me what you want: Flickr: nikhilbhaskaran's Photostream is my friend. he can guide you in depth. He moved up from a D50 to D90 to D7000.

@TON - he has a 350D
But he would have Canon lenses right?
Old 11th April 2011, 03:18   #6977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I have no idea when you will stop this AUD comparison here. No soul is benefiting out of that according to me. Indian grey prices are in par with the US grey prices and there is no point taking the trouble of bringing things from out when there are compromises on warranty, service etc for many things bought there. Shipping is anyway out of question as one will end up paying more than the MRP here. For people to benefit out of the so called GST and stuff, one should be travelling or have someone travelling.
Thanks. That was pretty much the last time you would hear it and also the last time I am posting anything for that matter.

Cheers
Prasad

Last edited by bbkp : 11th April 2011 at 03:32.
Old 11th April 2011, 08:02   #6978
Senior - BHPian

Lens prices have gone up in last 2-3 weeks ,canon 15-85 was out of stock in India. Amazon price was 645$ earlier but now 799$, Indian price was 44k with b&w earlier, So I abounded idea to buy this for couple of months and bought a sigma 10-20 from the funds marked for lens to try hands at UWA.
Now looking for 77mm thin cpl filter, Any one wanna sell?
Old 11th April 2011, 08:41   #6979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Lens prices have gone up in last 2-3 weeks ,canon 15-85 was out of stock in India. Amazon price was 645$ earlier but now 799$, Indian price was 44k with b&w earlier, So I abounded idea to buy this for couple of months and bought a sigma 10-20 from the funds marked for lens to try hands at UWA.
Now looking for 77mm thin cpl filter, Any one wanna sell?
Due to the quake in Japan???
Old 11th April 2011, 10:40   #6980
Team-BHP Support

CPL on a UWA!!?? I suggest you avoid. Nobody likes CPL on Ultra wides
Old 11th April 2011, 10:46   #6981
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Due to the quake in Japan???
Yes, many camera factories are severely affected. Therefore, existing inventory has suddenly become very valuable.

Japanese earthquake SLR camera prices nearly 10% -Icmama
Old 11th April 2011, 10:59   #6982
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
I think there is one. Several pages back. But why do you want to jump ship. The 60D is a pretty capable camera in my opinion. Competes pretty well with the D7000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
But he would have Canon lenses right?
Yes, I have 2 lenses
1. Tamron 10-24
2. Canon 50mm 1.8

I am thinking of not hitching on to UWA for now. UWA works very well in coastel and areas etc., but for shooting in the hills, a 24mm on wide side makes more sense.

Since lens resale is usually good, I really do not worry much about getting rid of my old lenses.

However, regarding the bodies, I plan to stick to APS-C.

In this APS-C world I care for weather sealing. And 7D costs quite a bit more as compared to Nikon D7000. I don't care much about FPS.

Lower shadow noise of D7000 is a plus as it will help me get better very long exposures.
]
Regarding ergonomics and handling, I think its a matter of practice!
Old 11th April 2011, 11:11   #6983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
CPL on a UWA!!?? I suggest you avoid. Nobody likes CPL on Ultra wides
Is it due to vignetting ? I was just thinking that as UWA will be used for landscapes so CPL can give me saturated skies and other general benefits of CPL.

About your jumping the ship stuff , Why do you need a new body at all ? Will it not be good to buy another better lens in same money ?

Last edited by amitk26 : 11th April 2011 at 11:12.
Old 11th April 2011, 11:23   #6984
Distinguished - BHPian

I have seen quite a few people on flickr using CPL with the 10-20 and getting amazing results. I have a 10-20 and was looking to get a CPL and a couple of GNDs.

Please explain this a bit more - ''nobody likes CPL on UWAs''. Why?
Old 11th April 2011, 11:30   #6985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, I have 2 lenses
1. Tamron 10-24
2. Canon 50mm 1.8.....

Lower shadow noise of D7000 is a plus as it will help me get better very long exposures.
]
Regarding ergonomics and handling, I think its a matter of practice!
Well, in that case, it is a matter of choice between the 60D and D7000 then. If money is not an issue, then the D7000 is rated higher and would be your choice of weapon.
Old 11th April 2011, 11:44   #6986
Senior - BHPian

Not exactly a D-SLR question, but I own a Nikon FE 35mm SLR camera. On a recent trip to Matheran I realized that the stock lens I have with it does not have enough zoom and I am now looking for a tele lens. My objective is to get close-up shots of the flora and fauna nearby (for e.g. monkeys hanging from trees: I want to be able to capture their faces as if in a portrait). My current lens is not very fast (f3.5 is the fastest it goes). I would prefer the tele to be at least as fast as that or even faster.

Also what would be a good price to pay for it? Considering the camera I have is older than me, the lens would effectively be at least 15-20 years older.
Old 11th April 2011, 12:14   #6987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I have seen quite a few people on flickr using CPL with the 10-20 and getting amazing results. I have a 10-20 and was looking to get a CPL and a couple of GNDs.

Please explain this a bit more - ''nobody likes CPL on UWAs''. Why?
Hwo do I explain. Basically if you use CPL on UWA, you will get a banding as in a band in middle/right/left of the frame which is polarised and rest isn't, meaning that great saturated sky will just be a part of the frame and rest will be normal.

I hope i made it easy rather than hard to understand.
Old 11th April 2011, 12:22   #6988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
Thanks. That was pretty much the last time you would hear it and also the last time I am posting anything for that matter.
Prasad, we are one family here, if you feel offended about my comment, its quiet normal and makes it clear that we all are vulnerable human beings. But here we are trying to share and take whatever benefits to our daily life each other.

So, I kneel beg and request your forgiveness for all the non-sense I have caused or going to cause, take it easy, life is short, dont hide your treasures, but share them all !
Old 11th April 2011, 12:56   #6989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Not exactly a D-SLR question, but I own a Nikon FE 35mm SLR camera. On a recent trip to Matheran I realized that the stock lens I have with it does not have enough zoom and I am now looking for a tele lens. My objective is to get close-up shots of the flora and fauna nearby (for e.g. monkeys hanging from trees: I want to be able to capture their faces as if in a portrait). My current lens is not very fast (f3.5 is the fastest it goes). I would prefer the tele to be at least as fast as that or even faster.

Also what would be a good price to pay for it? Considering the camera I have is older than me, the lens would effectively be at least 15-20 years older.
You are prime candidate for older manual focus Telephotos. Browse KEH for pre owned lenses. Here are some.
Nikon Manual Focus 300 F2.8 ED INTERNAL FOCUS AIS (122/39 DROP-IN)(BUILT IN HOOD) WITH CAPS 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS TELEPHOTO LENS - KEH.com
Nikon Manual Focus 300 F2.8 ED INTERNAL FOCUS AIS (122/39 DROP-IN)(BUILT IN HOOD) WITH CAPS 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS TELEPHOTO LENS - KEH.com
Nikon Manual Focus 600 F4 ED INTERNAL FOCUS AIS (39) (BUILT-IN HOOD) WITH HOOD EXT, CAPS, CASE, 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS SUPER TELEPHOTO LENS - KEH.com

By the way, as the focal length increase, the speed decreases and the cost increase. If you want a fast lense say 400mm/F2.8 it would cost as much as a 600mm/F4.
Old 11th April 2011, 12:56   #6990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
Hwo do I explain. Basically if you use CPL on UWA, you will get a banding as in a band in middle/right/left of the frame which is polarised and rest isn't, meaning that great saturated sky will just be a part of the frame and rest will be normal.

I hope i made it easy rather than hard to understand.

Oh k, is it due to the 'curvature' of the front element of the lens? Anyways, will borrow one and try it out, before buying. Thank you guys!

Most Viewed