Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2011, 17:44   #7186

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
I could not understand what you meant. Please explain!!
Normally i cringe at anything Kenrockwell but in this scenario he's on the spot about UWA lenses.

How to Use Ultra-Wide Lenses
Old 22nd April 2011, 21:04   #7187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windride
2. How practical would it be to use the non-autofocusing 50mm f/1.8D on a D40? My subject is usually a hyper-active 3-yr old lil devil.
I have a Nikon D3100(no focus motor) and a 50mm F1.8.
In decent light, I can shoot portraits and the subjects have to be still. No kids, sports or panning shots possible.
In low light, Its frustrating to focus even still subjects.

I'm seriously considering replacing the 50mm 1.8 with a 35mm 1.8 or replacing the d3100 body with a auto focusing body like the D90 or the D90's replacement.

OT: I used to think my car would be my only personal money pit. Looks like the car's got competition.
Old 22nd April 2011, 22:29   #7188
BHPian

In film slr's there used to be a small focussing point at the centre of the lens. It was very helpful for sharp manual focussing. Is this available in the new dslr's? It's not available on the canon 1000d. It requires a lot of patience for manual focussing without this ring in the centre unless ofcourse one is an expert.

Last edited by ajman28 : 22nd April 2011 at 22:32.
Old 22nd April 2011, 23:46   #7189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
In film slr's there used to be a small focussing point at the centre of the lens. It was very helpful for sharp manual focussing. Is this available in the new dslr's? It's not available on the canon 1000d. It requires a lot of patience for manual focussing without this ring in the centre unless ofcourse one is an expert.
You need to replace the focusing screen of your DSLR , This is 5 min DIY job. You will gain split prism mechanism but will loose the 9 illuminated points which glows red when focus is achived. There is no impact on AF and still you will hear beep and see a green dot at the bottom corner.

You can buy one from here

Focusing Screen

For cheaper ones search on e-bay focusing screen from HK sellers costs about 20-30$.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 05:21   #7190

Not sure about canon but d3 has projection focusing screen which means using split-prism focusing screen is still fine AF points and illumination.

Also I don't usually suggest diy focusing screen change as a tiny slip will scratch it or worse crack it.

Also if changing for split-prism, make sure to get proper canon/nikon/pentax one or better yet katzeye one.
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:45   #7191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
Not sure about canon but d3 has projection focusing screen which means using split-prism focusing screen is still fine AF points and illumination.

Also I don't usually suggest diy focusing screen change as a tiny slip will scratch it or worse crack it.

Also if changing for split-prism, make sure to get proper canon/nikon/pentax one or better yet katzeye one.
He has 1000d that is entry level DSLR I do not see why a feature of d3 should be expected.canon sells focussing screens for 1d and 5d series, focussingscreen.com does laser cutting of canon /nikon screens to fit entry level bodies and sell them. Opt check videos on youtube for procedure to change screen.

Last edited by amitk26 : 23rd April 2011 at 09:47.
Old 23rd April 2011, 13:53   #7192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
which lens you want to try manual focus with? If it is manual focus lens like takumar, you can try focus-confirm chips.
Old 23rd April 2011, 20:40   #7193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
You need to replace the focusing screen of your DSLR , This is 5 min DIY job. You will gain split prism mechanism but will loose the 9 illuminated points which glows red when focus is achived. There is no impact on AF and still you will hear beep and see a green dot at the bottom corner.
Looks like the procedure will affect the warranty. Do we get lens with some in-built focusing rings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
which lens you want to try manual focus with? If it is manual focus lens like takumar, you can try focus-confirm chips.
What is a focus-confirm chip?
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:11   #7194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the procedure will affect the warranty. Do we get lens with some in-built focusing rings?
No it will not it is a user replaceable part , Focussing ring is there on every lens but what it does is to set focus , What you are asking is an aid which can tell to your eye when focus is hit.

Your question kind of indicates that you do not need any MF because you do not seem to know what it is .Don't get me wrong but first specify what is the problem which prompted you to think in this direction and then a solution can be suggested.
Quote:
What is a focus-confirm chip?
If you are trying to use an old manual focus lens that does not have CPU on a DSLR then for AF to work there has to be a way by which your camera body knows that focus is hit so an external chip is pasted on mount adapter. But forget about this for time being and let us know the problem statement first.
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:51   #7195
BHPian

Quote:
Focussing ring is there on every lens but what it does is to set focus , What you are asking is an aid which can tell to your eye when focus is hit.
Sorry, my mistake in calling it a focusing ring. I actually meant to ask if the focusing point (not sure what exactly it is called) that you mentioned in the earlier post, comes in-built in any lens.

Ok, here comes the question in detail:

AF does not work when it is dark, so one has to opt for the MF option. Very often you come across a situation where you can see objects quite clearly through the viewfinder but the light is not enough for the AF to work. When I go for the MF, the pic looks quite sharp in the LCD but is out of focus when viewed on a larger screen. For such instances, I felt maybe if we have a focus assist the problem could be sorted out.

The main aim is to properly focus in the dark. I don't like to use the flash-firing assist since this usually scares away the subject.

Last edited by ajman28 : 23rd April 2011 at 21:52.
Old 23rd April 2011, 22:37   #7196

Quote:
He has 1000d that is entry level DSLR I do not see why a feature of d3 should be expected.canon sells focussing screens for 1d and 5d series, focussingscreen.com does laser cutting of canon /nikon screens to fit entry level bodies and sell them. Opt check videos on Youtube for procedure to change screen.
His question was "Is this available in the new dslr's?", AFAIK D3 is a DSLR. And to be frank, I don't think information provided hurt anyone.

Quote:
No lens comes with in-built focusing screen.

It doesn't affect warranty if you are using canon/nikon genuine focusing screen which frankly is quite expensive. If you damage your DSLR during focusing screen change, its not covered under warranty.

Quote:
No it will not it is a user replaceable part
As I understand, if one damages the Focusing screen during replacement or worse, damages the penta-prism/penta-mirror, its not convered under warranty.
Old 24th April 2011, 01:01   #7197
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, how are Tiffen filters, GND and ND? Any user experiences?
Old 24th April 2011, 01:55   #7198
Senior - BHPian

What size UV filter do i need to get for a 18-55 lens?? And can it be used with other lenses as well, say 55-250?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th April 2011, 11:45   #7199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
It doesn't affect warranty if you are using canon/nikon genuine focusing screen which frankly is quite expensive. If you damage your DSLR during focusing screen change, its not covered under warranty.

As I understand, if one damages the Focusing screen during replacement or worse, damages the penta-prism/penta-mirror, its not convered under warranty.
I agree. This is a risky step. I went thru the instructions at Katzeye optics who are one of the better focussing screen mfrs. It is a very delicate operation, a slip could cost your your camera's reflex mirror, a far more expensive and delicate part than a focusing screen, or worse.

While an experienced owner may attempt this change, this is NOT a DIY operation unless the camera owners manual specifies this as a user replaceable part. It is best to leave this to the experts. IF it must be changed take the replacement screen to the service centre.

Regards,
Old 24th April 2011, 15:27   #7200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
What size UV filter do i need to get for a 18-55 lens?? And can it be used with other lenses as well, say 55-250?

Thanks in advance.
I am not sure of the make of your lenses.

Turn your lens cap over and you will find the size of the cap imprinted on the inside. Buy the same size UV/ND/PL filter. Most lenses differ in their filter sizes. That said you get step up adapters from one size to another (say for e.g. 58mm to 77mm) that will help you from reinvesting in too many filters of various sizes.

Regards,

Most Viewed