Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 15:01   #856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
I have to get a new DSLR. I had a Pentax K100D Super but had a few problems with it. Rather than getting the same again I can get a Nikon D40 or Sony Alpha 200 (direct repalcement) or D60 (or Canon EOS 1000D)(will have to pay difference equivalent to RS 5100).

I don't use the camera very often so was wondering which one to go for. Is it worth paying the extra for the D60 or 1000D considering I am a very casual photographer ? I think I took less than 100 shots in 10 months with the Pentax.
For your purpose, a D40 is just fine.
Old 24th April 2009, 19:29   #857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
For your purpose, a D40 is just fine.
Thanks, there is no D40 replacement just round the corner is there ? I don't want to get it and then Nikon release a new variant. It has been around for a while so they must update it soon.
Old 24th April 2009, 19:48   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, there is no D40 replacement just round the corner is there ? I don't want to get it and then Nikon release a new variant. It has been around for a while so they must update it soon.
Then what are D40X, D60 etc, if not new variants?
Old 24th April 2009, 20:42   #859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Then what are D40X, D60 etc, if not new variants?
OK a direct replacement ? Is the D40 here to stay with no replacement lined up to be launched in the next couple of months ?
Old 24th April 2009, 20:48   #860
BHPian

Quote:
OK a direct replacement ? Is the D40 here to stay with no replacement lined up to be launched in the next couple of months ?
Please cite an example of any other direct replacement. Sorry, I don't understand what is meant!
Old 24th April 2009, 21:15   #861
Senior - BHPian

Janitha,

Sorry, is the D40 due to be replaced soon ? i.e. Are Nikon planning on bringing out a new model to replace the D40 soon ?

If not then I might go with that.

Another question the Canon EOS 1000D has this live view feature. What exactly does this do in laymans terms ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th April 2009, 21:35   #862
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another question the Canon EOS 1000D has this live view feature. What exactly does this do in laymans terms ?
Rear LCD screen will show you the same as you see through your viewfinder.
Old 24th April 2009, 23:46   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Janitha,

Sorry, is the D40 due to be replaced soon ? i.e. Are Nikon planning on bringing out a new model to replace the D40 soon ?

If not then I might go with that.

Thanks in advance.
bigman, the D40 is an end of life cycle product. There is already an upgraded version of it in the D40x (10mp vs 6.1mp) and then Nikon has recently announced the D5000, a new entry-level camera. Despite all this, for your purposes, the D40 is adequate. There is no limit to newer and better in digital SLRs.
Old 25th April 2009, 00:38   #864
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rudra and Starscream

Quote:
There is no limit to newer and better in digital SLRs.
True but if a newer model is a month or so away I can always wait. If it was 6/7 months away then no point waiting. D5000 is hardly priced as an entry level it costs nearly 3x the price of D40 in UK.

Quote:
Rear LCD screen will show you the same as you see through your viewfinder.
Sound good, do any other DSLR's have this ? If not I might just plump for a 1000D. After using compact digicams I prefer not looking through a viewfinder.

Last edited by bigman : 25th April 2009 at 00:41.
Old 25th April 2009, 01:34   #865
Senior - BHPian

Buy a 40D its going at prices that can be called a steal right now and it will be there through your life with you. I am saying this from experence.
Old 25th April 2009, 02:57   #866
BHPian

Nikon d60 is featured on Ebay India at 25990 with one year warranty? Is it okay to buy from E-bay? The seller has good ratings!
Old 25th April 2009, 03:17   #867
Senior - BHPian

quickdraw,

Hard choice. Just wandering whether to pay the extra and get the EOS 1000D. Even after paying the extra I will only be paying in total the equivalent of RS5000.

If the EOS1000D never had the live view I would have gone straight for D40 but now in 2 minds as to which to get. I dont really like looking through viewfinders if I can help it. Not too bothered about megapixels as they both have more than enough for the 6x4 or 7x5 type prints I get done.

Anyone got any experience of the 1000D ?
Old 25th April 2009, 21:18   #868
BHPian

Quote:
quickdraw,

Hard choice. Just wandering whether to pay the extra and get the EOS 1000D. Even after paying the extra I will only be paying in total the equivalent of RS5000.

If the EOS1000D never had the live view I would have gone straight for D40 but now in 2 minds as to which to get. I dont really like looking through viewfinders if I can help it. Not too bothered about megapixels as they both have more than enough for the 6x4 or 7x5 type prints I get done.

Anyone got any experience of the 1000D ?
Just that you are aware, D40/D60 will auto focus with lenses that have auto focus (motor) on the lens itself.
Old 25th April 2009, 21:53   #869
Distinguished - BHPian

Please help to choose equipment

I have the following requirements for clinical and photomicrography work, and seek your help and advice for the same:

- D-SLR body: Minimum 7 to 8 MP, with memory card - should have adequate resolution for large prints, even when the image is cropped
- T2 mount - 50 mm
- C-mount adaptor
- Suitable macro lens for intraoral and extraoral clinical photography
- Ring flash

I shall be grateful if you could guide me on the above, with an idea of how expensive the equipment will be, and where to source it from.

I do not have a preference for brands, and will prefer best configuration keeping in mind
- ease of after-sales service
- durability and
- lowest feasible cost.
Old 26th April 2009, 00:13   #870
BHPian

Guys, how's it going

Need some help and advise. I am returning from the US in a couple of months and want to bring back my first DSLR. Since I am a complete novice, I need some guidance. I have been reading forums and such and they have added to my confusion. My needs are simple. I want to start out with a good camera body and have a combination of lenses that will keep me busy learning for the next 2 yrs at least. All this in maybe USD 600-800.

The Canon rebel XT and the Nikon D40s seem to be the cameras of choice for beginners. Most folks say that one should just buy the camera body and the lenses separately. Having said that, I have read in a forum or two that the 18-55mm lens that comes with the Nikon D40 is pretty good.

I am looking for some guidance that will help me research further. Here are my questions:
1. What camera body should I look at? Are there entry level models now better (in the same price range) than the Nikon D40?
2. What lenses should I look at? (My selection of lenses should give me flexibility in all sorts of situations. I do have an interest in architecture,wildlife,sunsets,night shots, people though. Damn, did I just cover everything? )
3. Do I need to look at getting a filter too? How about a tripod or is it equally priced in India?
4. Is there a certain brand of bags that's better maybe?

Also, any helpful websites for purchase of the stuff would be greatly appreciated.

I apologise for not having done more homework but my India return was decided a bit suddenly and I am worried I might rush into buying something that I will regret later.
I want to make the purchase in the next week or so to allow enough time to have it shipped to me. Thanks for your help guys..

Last edited by MC Mayank : 26th April 2009 at 00:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks