Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2012, 18:50   #9856
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
We should look beyond resolution while selecting a display to edit photos. I have seen some monitors with very good resolution but they really suck at displaying pictures neatly. That happens even if we calibrate them. When I bought a Dell laptop years back, I had an option to choose between a normal LCD and then LCD with "TruLife (TM)". I selected the later and noticed that this display was capable of showing the colors and dynamic range much better than the normal LCD ones, though I don't know what exactly is the difference technically.

I know some guys use monitors with IPS display for photo editing. The traditional studio guys still use CRTs
Resolution is important. Beyond that you need to calibrate the monitor

. Colour correction
. Geometric correction

There are tools available for calibrating your monitor. Look on the net and get one.

Traditional studios use CRT displays, primarily because they paid through their nose for professional grade 25"+ monitors quite some time ago, but CRT are on their way out and LCD are in. That said professional colour calibrated monitors are at least five times the cost of a comparable popular monitor, hence may be out of the range for a beginner.
Old 7th June 2012, 19:03   #9857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Resolution is important. Beyond that you need to calibrate the monitor

. Colour correction
. Geometric correction

There are tools available for calibrating your monitor. Look on the net and get one.
Agreed but some LCD monitors' rendering is substandard no matter how well we calibrate them. There's an HP 17 inch LCD monitor in my home PC, which displays the pictures very badly. (Slight posterization even at 32bit, lack of dynamic range and very bad color rendering) I have tried all possible ways of color correction, driver updates, calibration and what not. It will never reach the standard of my laptop's LCD monitor with Trulife, which displays pictures impressively.

Picking few LCD monitors with same resolution and size & calibrating them in the proper way - cannot ensure that all of them will display imagery with the same quality level. The stuff should be good enough in the first place.

Last edited by clevermax : 7th June 2012 at 19:14.
Old 7th June 2012, 19:12   #9858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Agreed but some LCD monitors' rendering is substandard no matter how well we calibrate them. There's an HP 17 inch LCD monitor in my home PC, which displays the pictures very badly. (Slight posterization even at 32bit, lack of dynamic range and very bad color rendering) I have tried all possible ways of color correction, driver updates, calibration and what not. It will never reach the standard of my laptop's LCD monitor with Trulife, which displays pictures impressively.
That there are bad monitors. A bit of surfing the net and you can get reasonably priced monitors which can be easily calibrated. Of course professional quality monitors are the best but unfortunately out of reach of many. My LG 24" monitors are quite good and once calibrated give excellent colour rendering.

Of course the colour correctness is of use only when you are printing, else for viewing on computers, especially when you distribute the photographs and never know what they are watching it on, any monitor (unless it is really bad) will do.
Old 8th June 2012, 01:59   #9859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I have been following your queries. If i am not wrong, you are pursuing this as a hobby than a professional requirement.

To be frank desktops are thing of the past now. They occupy space and are not portable.
thanks sir. I already have a laptop in here and net book with bro. So going for another expensive laptop is of not much value i see. Also laptop makes me lazy. This is how my workflow

Sit at desk and start editing an image (GIMP) --> system is slow, takes some time to process --> feel lazy and sit on bed with laptop --> 5 more minutes, feel even more lazy close GIMP and open Facebook

So just to add seriousness and also to be lighter on pocket, i am going for desktop. Also if laptop becomes outdated after couple of years, i have to sell it off but in case of desktop, i can keep the display and may be upgrade the RAM. Hence thinking of buying a 8GB RAM system with motherboard which supports 16GB. After 1 -1.5 year when 8GB is outdated, upgrade to 16GB. Incase of laptop this flexibility is not available.

My friends friend is selling 1 year old IPS Dell monitor for 10K rupees (23 inch). Is this a good deal. Also he is selling Croisair 16GB RAM (4*4) for 4K ( i guess speed id 1.3K Mhz or 1.5K Mhz ). Since both these are 1 year old, i am worried if its OK to buy these second hand.

Also to buy a desktop for cheap (assembled) , which is the place in Bangalore? some one suggested Golcha computers in SP road.Any other place in Bangalore
Old 8th June 2012, 06:44   #9860
Senior - BHPian

I go to binary world. Check bwIndia.net
Its in Indira nagar and offers sp road price. Also the website has tons of details
Old 8th June 2012, 08:16   #9861
BHPian

Hello,

I'm planning to get a D3100 after being suggested by a friend. Couldnt find much negative reviews. My knowledge is very limited when comes to Photogrophy but decided to work on my photographic skills with an entry-level DSLR
So, how is this camera? any reviews/suggestions would greatly of help. How is it when compared to Canon EOS1100 (which also in same range as Nikon D3100)?

@nevinfrancis,R2D2 - What's the cost of AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm VR II lens? Would it be a good match to D3100 as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinfrancis View Post
I liked the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm VR II lens immensely, but read somewhere that its good only with the older 6-8 megapixel cameras, not with the present ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
A compact DSLR like the D5100 + this single walk-about lens is a great match. You can travel light.
Old 8th June 2012, 09:38   #9862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
@nevinfrancis,R2D2 - What's the cost of AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm VR II lens? Would it be a good match to D3100 as well?
The D3100 is a good starter body. For detailed reviews check sites like Ken Rockwell, dpreview.com, imaging-resource. Nikon v/s Canon is entirely your choice. It will be good if you can check both cameras in person to see which fits in your hand better. Ergonomics are important.

BTW, the D3200 24 MP has been recently introduced. Do consider this body. It is Rs 36.7K for the body + 18-55 kit lens and Rs 47.5K for body + 18-105 kit lens.

The 18-200 lens costs approximately Rs 54k at Flipkart.
Old 8th June 2012, 09:55   #9863
BHPian

Thanks R2D2. I will have a look @ D3200 24MP and the reviews on mentioned sites.
Old 8th June 2012, 10:12   #9864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks R2D2. I will have a look @ D3200 24MP and the reviews on mentioned sites.
I started my hunt like you and was confused between Canon 1100D and Nikon D3100. Canon is cheaper by 2-3K and has few advantages like built in focus motor and hence cheaper lenses(thats what i read) But Nikon really scores when it comes to built quality.

Then multiple people suggested me to look at EOS 550d and now after some serious study, its growing on me. Now i am most likely to buy EOS 550D

I saw that the D3200 is a newest DSLR launched in 2012 and costs around about same as EOS550D. So you can consider 550D as well to add to your confusion
Old 8th June 2012, 10:17   #9865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
AFAIK, the 1100d kit is without IS while the 550D is with the 18-55 IS kit.
I had got 18-55 IS lens with my 1100D which did cost me 27K in Apr 2011. And as you had rightly pointed out, the etch to upgrade is in full swing . May be down the line, I would shift to a used 50D or new 60D or new/old 7D.
Old 8th June 2012, 15:29   #9866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Bought D3200 @ 35K with 18-55mm lens yesterday.
Old 8th June 2012, 15:45   #9867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
Guys,

Congrats, post the first impressions quickly! Also some pics of the cam and some from the cam itself
Old 8th June 2012, 16:14   #9868
BHPian

I need suggestions for a good zoom lens, preferably >18mm & <250mm with a large aperture for a Canon 1000D. Budget is < 25k INR.

The lens which is almost permanently fixed on my camera is the Canon 50mm 1.8. I use it for almost all occasions with satisfactory results. The only drawback I have found with the lens is when I am attending some party/wedding. The lens does not give me the flexibility of zooming in & out depending on the situation; hence the need for a zoom lens with a large aperture. I am not very impressed with the results I get with the kit lens (18-55mm) when compared to the 50mm prime and it usually remains stowed away in the bag!

Last edited by ajman28 : 8th June 2012 at 16:34.
Old 8th June 2012, 16:22   #9869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
Guys,

Thats a very good deal for D3200. what is your source ? Cheapest deal i see on ebay as well as other local sources are at 36K. Happy shooting

BTW, After all the R&D and confusion, i myself ordered Canon EOS 550D. Got a good deal from Ebay ( Abt 33.5K with 18-55mm IS II lens and 4GB memory.. There was some Fathers day offer going on so along with this i got myself a dual sim Samsung Chat 2222 mobile worth 3K for free).

Started off with a 20K budget super zoom point and shoot, decided for DSLR with upto 25K budget and now i overshot my budget by quite a bit. But i hope its worth it.

Now i cant wait to get my hands on the camera.
Old 8th June 2012, 22:23   #9870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Thats a very good deal for D3200. what is your source ? Cheapest deal i see on ebay as well as other local sources are at 36K. Happy shooting

BTW, After all the R&D and confusion, i myself ordered Canon EOS 550D. Got a good deal from Ebay ( Abt 33.5K with 18-55mm IS II lens and 4GB memory.. There was some Fathers day offer going on so along with this i got myself a dual sim Samsung Chat 2222 mobile worth 3K for free).

Started off with a 20K budget super zoom point and shoot, decided for DSLR with upto 25K budget and now i overshot my budget by quite a bit. But i hope its worth it.

Now i cant wait to get my hands on the camera.
I bought from local Nikon dealer.

Got 4GB Class 4 SD Card & Camera bag as well for free.

My budget was also around 20 to 22k and had almost finalized Nikon P310/P7100 but bought D3200 because of 1080P video recording and specifications tempted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Congrats, post the first impressions quickly! Also some pics of the cam and some from the cam itself
Thanks. Will put some pics asap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks